Tutorial  Updated

Downgrade 3DS with sysUpdater

EDIT: This tutorial maybe outdated, technically it still work but please use Plailect's Guide, it covers even more things:

https://plailect.github.io/Guide/

EDIT: MANY USERS ALREADY BRICKED THEIR DEVICE, SO BE ABSOLUTELY SURE WHAT TO DO, THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS. WITHOUT A HARDMOD AND A NAND BACKUP A BRICK IS PERMANENT!!!

I'm doing this tutorial quickly only because we don't want to answer all "How to downgrade" question-threads seperately.

All credits belongs to TuxSH, Jason Dellaluce, Steveice10 (and some other, don't know who else right know)

KEEP IN MIND: BRICKS CAN HAPPEN AND HAPPENED TO SOME USERS!!! NO WARRANTY FOR A SUCCESSFUL DOWNGRADE!

1. You need a 3DS with any hax installed, if you have non, use Browserhax (http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php) by yellows8 or menuhax. And of course, at least boot.3dsx in SD card root.

2. Download sysupdater and, unzip it and copy it to sd card:/3ds/ (if it does not exist, just create it...)
Mirror: https://mega.nz/#!JE1R3RhQ!MqY_OTyYrVM_DMOltiDfaZvTGZ8gCoUcATmOYEimM-U

3. You will need a complete firmware package of your desired Firmware. I recommend 9.2.0-20E/U/J.
Where do you get this package you ask? Well, Nintendo deleted all titles from their server older than 9.9.0-X, so you have to google it. I will help you to google it: http://bfy.tw/3Xqo

Cha0s Em3rald made MD5 checksum's for 9.2.0-20E/U/J N3ds/O3DS, check archive's checksum before using it! https://gbatemp.net/threads/md5-checksums-crc-for-all-9-2-update-packs.408114/

PLEASE NOTE: JP N3DS Users, you'll need to remove the 000400102002CA00 title from the download package in order to not get bricked! Do NOT install it!

4. Copy all firmware title .cia on SD Card:/update/

5. Remove smea's DNS, in case of unsuccessfull downgrade, you need in that case to start 3DS in Recovery mode to update and repair your system.

6. Start 3DS and go into Homebrewlauncher.

7. Start sysupdater

8. Wait for application to be ready. (ca. 1-5min)

9. Press Y to downgrade

10. Wait and pray until "Succeed. Reboot in 10 sec"

11. Done - Downgrade is (hopefully) complete!

I recommend to create an EmuNAND after downgrading and using a cfw Loader, like cakesFW or rxTools.

Q: Help! I have a blackscreen after the reboot!!!
A: Unplug SD Card, reboot. I think some SD data can't aren't compatible with downgraded titles, so delete your current "Nintendo 3DS" folder on SD card, if needed.

If it still doesn't boot, try to get into recovery mode, by pressing Power-Button to boot while holding L+R+Up+A, update and try again.

Q: sysupdater crashes/won't start/freeze.
A: (Hold L+R+DpadDown+B to return to Homebrew Launcher, then) start/reboot again. Some users needed over 30 attempts.
Try another hax; I used menuhax to start ctr boot manager.
TuxSH wrote that it can raise succeed boot of sysupdater if you started 3DS-FTP before and return with L+R+Down+B, then start sysUpdater

Alternative Way:
1. Backup/delete your boot.3dsx in sd root
2. Copy "sysUpdater.3dsx" to root and rename it into "boot.3dsx"
3. Plug SD card in and start hax (recommended: Menuhax)
4. *hax will load directly sysUpdater.

Q: What firmwares can be downgraded?
A: All firmwares up to newesest (10.3) can be downgraded. New 3DS is not confirmed because of no testing by TuxSH, but many users already tried and successfully downgraded their N3DS.

Q: I have an 2DS, which Firmware do I need?
A: Firmware for Old 3DS. MSET for 3DS can wants to move 3d slider after formating - you need to install only Firmware/MSET that was supported by 2DS, so NO 4.5! O3DS 9.2.0-20E should be fine, but not confirmed.

Q: It won't reboot after the finished downgrade.
A: What I did: Waited 10 minutes, then I powered it off. Downgrade suceed. You don't have another choice anyway.

Last edited by artur3004,

artur3004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I successfully downgraded my 3ds xl to 9.2.0U. However. when i try to launch super smash bros 3ds with a cartridge, it loads the 3ds logo and goes to a black screen. any help is appreciated.

with newswest smash 3ds update, you need fw 9.3 - use emunand

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a problem when I Start sysupdater, I have it :
"Can't create allocation thread. Failure!"

What should I do, I followed all the steps !
Someone can help me ? : "Can't create allocation thread. Failure!"

I have a New 3DS 9.8.0-25E
please :(

Can someone pay attention to me ?
are you trying this one? https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/page-95#post-5923820

try using it with menuhax as well. it might also be more stable on 10.3, I don't know yet

Rashka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've the same problem with smash bros.
Mine starts, but keep telling me "can't find latest files on SD" so I can play but I can't save. And I get freezes of I use the home button.
My gateway dump I made with this cartridge works fine..

Any ideas?

Paul Ik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
anyone having this problem ?

Attachments

• 12207675_1110138512330793_611045063_n.jpg
    12207675_1110138512330793_611045063_n.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 334

acoll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can someone please help me.

i followed all the directions, but i cannot see the sysupdater when i boot the homebrew launcher.

on the previous tutorials, there were 2 files to be placed inside /3ds/sysUpdater/ but using this safer version i only have this inside SafeSysUpdater.3dsx

could that be the reason why i cannot see it on the homebrew channel menu? please help

UPDATE: the homebrew channel also freezes when you browse it for some time, is that normal?

Last edited by acoll,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
can someone please help me.

i followed all the directions, but i cannot see the sysupdater when i boot the homebrew launcher.

on the previous tutorials, there were 2 files to be placed inside /3ds/sysUpdater/ but using this safer version i only have this inside SafeSysUpdater.3dsx

could that be the reason why i cannot see it on the homebrew channel menu? please help

UPDATE: the homebrew channel also freezes when you browse it for some time, is that normal?
The 3dsx file should have the name of the folder it is in. Ex.
SD:/3ds/SafeSysupdater/Safesysupdater.3dsx

Reactions: acoll

torchick11

Trophies
XP
Country
I've tried using sysupdater and i've pressed downgrade with the right updates on the update folder but thing has been frozen for over 30 mins.

I'm on 10.3 EU using ironhax downgrading to 9.2 EU (I have my ironhax second save ready for this)

(that image is all im seeing on it so far)

Attachments

• ^57F019D7B3859D9D2448D55DEC339717584F9E8B93E5094E4D^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    ^57F019D7B3859D9D2448D55DEC339717584F9E8B93E5094E4D^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 299

Doggo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried using sysupdater and i've pressed downgrade with the right updates on the update folder but thing has been frozen for over 30 mins.

I'm on 10.3 EU using ironhax downgrading to 9.2 EU (I have my ironhax second save ready for this)

(that image is all im seeing on it so far)
anyone having this problem ?

That happened to me a lot on my o3DS/o3DSXL. Just force power off and try again. It's scary to do that on the sysUpdater app but trust me it will be fine. You can usually tell if it's frozen if part of the text looks eaten. It freezes a lot.

where can i download 9.2.0-20E/U/J please help me!!

Firmware update CIAs are considered warez but apparently nothing is stopping me from telling you searching for "[MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions)" (including quotes) will get you what you need.
Be careful to only use your region CIA pack.

Last edited by Doggo,

MightyJAK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Artur, could you please update the OP? As others have said, the firmware .cia files go in the updates folder. Actually, the firmware package already has the .cia files in the properly named folder, so rather than telling users to make a folder, you could just say "unzip the firmware package directly to the root of your SD card".

Also, the 2nd to last Q seems to discourage 2DS users from downgrading. A few users in this thread have reported success in downgrading their 2DS, and there are video tutorials on YouTube showing successful 2DS downgrades, so I think you can revise that "not confirmed" bit. :yay3ds:

I'm about to try downloading my own 2DS, wish me luck!

torchick11

Trophies
XP
Country
During the downgrade shows that an error occurred, since I can not run as the browser.

What firmware where you downgrading from? What firmware did you downgrade to? What region is your 3ds? What hax were you using? What did the error say?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny