Hacking Trouble using Gateway card for first time

Sahloknir

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
So i just bought a 4.1 3DS and a Gateway card in the last 2 days, and I am having trouble getting it to work with Pokemon Omega Ruby.

What i have tried so far is to boot the 3DS in GW mode then insert the game cart, however the 3DS does not recognise it (it recognises the cart just fine when in standard mode, but naturally will not play it). I then made a backup of the cartridge on an SD card for use in the GW card, but when i start that up, it tells me the save file is corrupted, and will not let me play. When i try to back up the save i get an error FFFFFFFB. It does create a .SAV file, but it is 0 KB. I have run the GW update so it is running GW 9.2.0-20E.

That's all the information i can think of right now, so i hope it's enough, but if not, please let me know what other information i can provide to help you guys to help me to get this problem solved.

Thanks in advance.

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are trying to use the rom, you need the red card in when you boot Emunand. Make sure you have the latest launcher (2.6). You also want your MicroSD for the red card to be formatted to exfat and then you can just drop and drag the .3ds files onto it to load with Gateway. Be sure to hit select once you are in emunand to bring up the game menu. If you are writing the rom files to the MicroSD with a disk imager tool, that's the old way and won't work now that there is multirom support.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So i just bought a 4.1 3DS and a Gateway card in the last 2 days, and I am having trouble getting it to work with Pokemon Omega Ruby.

What i have tried so far is to boot the 3DS in GW mode then insert the game cart, however the 3DS does not recognise it (it recognises the cart just fine when in standard mode, but naturally will not play it). I then made a backup of the cartridge on an SD card for use in the GW card, but when i start that up, it tells me the save file is corrupted, and will not let me play. When i try to back up the save i get an error FFFFFFFB. It does create a .SAV file, but it is 0 KB. I have run the GW update so it is running GW 9.2.0-20E.

That's all the information i can think of right now, so i hope it's enough, but if not, please let me know what other information i can provide to help you guys to help me to get this problem solved.

Thanks in advance.
You didn't say which game you're playing. Also Gateway mode does not recognize any cartridges other than Gateway's red cart.

Sahloknir

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Omega Ruby Seph, I did mention that in the first paragraph, sorry if i wasn't clear that it's the game i'm trying to play. And yeah it is the retail cart I'm trying to play, i did try classic mode a couple times, but it tends to just return me to the base 4.1 firmware, which of course will not play the game. Am i missing a file on the SD card that's needed for classic mode to work properly perhaps?

EDIT: I just tried classic mode again, and it worked, though i got the same corrupt save error, will test on my girlfriend's 3DS and see if the game works properly there.

EDIT 2: works perfectly on my girlfriend's 3DS (running newest official firmware).

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Omega Ruby Seph, I did mention that in the first paragraph, sorry if i wasn't clear that it's the game i'm trying to play. And yeah it is the retail cart I'm trying to play, i did try classic mode a couple times, but it tends to just return me to the base 4.1 firmware, which of course will not play the game. Am i missing a file on the SD card that's needed for classic mode to work properly perhaps?
Oh, yeah, now I see the game written there.
So you've set up the emunand and also updated it to 9.2 sucessfully... well that's weird. When and how does this 'return to 4.1' thing happens? Is it when you try to run the Omega Ruby cart?

BTW I've heard of people having problems with fw 4.1. No idea if that's related.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You'll get the corrupt save error because Gateway apparently can't handle save files encryption properly as yet. If you started playing on a regular 3DS, on Gateway you will see the save as corrupted. If you started playing on Gateway and then tried it on a regular 3DS, the regular 3DS would say the save is corrupted.

Sahloknir

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hmm I see, is there any way around this? Would erasing my save file work? (I don't want to do that if it won't work) It would kinda suck, but i haven't logged too many hours yet, so it wouldn't be the end of the world or anything.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmm I see, is there any way around this? Would erasing my save file work? (I don't want to do that if it won't work) It would kinda suck, but i haven't logged too many hours yet, so it wouldn't be the end of the world or anything.
You can install SaveDataFiler, an application from Nintendo's 3DS SDK made for handling save files, on your emunand. Then you could freely move the save data between your cartridges and SD card.

Sahloknir

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
You can install SaveDataFiler, an application from Nintendo's 3DS SDK made for handling save files, on your emunand. Then you could freely move the save data between your cartridges and SD card.
This sounds like a great option, are you allowed to provide a link here? And some basic instructions on how to do it, if it's not too much trouble.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This sounds like a great option, are you allowed to provide a link here? And some basic instructions on how to do it, if it's not too much trouble.
It can't be shared here.
Installation is simple. You just have to put SaveDataFiler.cia on your 3DS's SD card and DevMenu/BigBlueMenu on your red cart's micro SD. Then you enter Gateway mode, hit select and pick one of the applications to install SaveDataFiler to the emunand.

Sahloknir

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Just into the root of the SD card? and it's more the process of managing the save I would like help with, if possible.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't easily keep your save file from your retail dump for use with gateway as a rom. Savedatafiler can't be used with retail carts, so that won't work.

Just delete your save and start over on the rom.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just into the root of the SD card? and it's more the process of managing the save I would like help with, if possible.
SaveDataFiler is very simple and displays basic instructions. BTW I sent you a PM with more info.

With SaveDataFiler you can extract the save from your cartridge and then reinject it into a rom.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit