Transfer emuNAND to another SD card. Working on New3DS!

EDIT: The emuNAND Tool has been updated and now works again!

Since right now the emuNAND Tool doesn't work, I've come up with a workaround:

Programs you will need:
Both these programs are free.

PLEASE NOTE: Doing the following method will make a 1:1 copy of the source SD card and put it on the target SD card. It will transfer everything, not just emuNAND.

How to:
  1. Plug the source SD card into your PC, this is the card that you want to transfer emuNAND from.
  2. Run USB Image Tool
  3. Click on the SD card and then "Backup"
  4. Remove the source SD Card and replace it with the target SD Card.
  5. Click on the new SD card, locate the backup image and then "Restore"
  6. Run EaseUS Partition Master and click on "EaseUS Partition Master Free"
  7. Right click on the SD card's partition with data on it, it should be in between two Unallocated partitions and choose "Resize/Move Partition"
  8. Click on the MIDDLE PARTITION, the one that has the data on it and expand it TO THE RIGHT (VERY IMPORTANT)
  9. Click OK
  10. Click Apply on the top left, then OK
  11. Done!
Important Information:
Currently with Gateway 3.1.0 there's a (visual?)bug with higher capacity microSD cards. When running emuNAND it doesn't show the "GW3D" in settings, before the version number telling you if you're in emuNAND or not, because of this its very risky to update emuNAND.
With my guide you can use a 4gb microSD card (where the visual bug doesn't happen) to format emuNAND, update to the latest firmware and transfer it onto a higher capacity microSD card.

Don't panic! - When the transfer is complete and you run the updated emuNAND on your new 3ds it still wont show the "GW3D" prefix before the version number. It'll just say 9.5.0-22E or something along those lines.

Any questions, feel free to ask :)

Teoz Benny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tibiak19 yeah it will just make a 1:1 copy. You dont need to format, ive used this guide myself earlier this evening and it works perfectly so you dont need to worry.

Reactions: Noroxus

Azba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I backuped/restored my 64GB to another 64GB and it came out with 2 partitions, so no need to use partition master at all... weird.
You'll end up with 3 partitions if you go bigger. Going to the same size is thankfully stress-free.

USB Image Tool has a habit of sometimes corrupting the main data partition though. If you run into any problems just reformat it as FAT32 and re-copy the stuff over from the old SD card.

Last edited by Azba,

Kapaya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thinking of getting a Samsung EVO MicroSDXC 64GB UHS-I instead of my 16GB one. Been reading up a bit and people claim it works if I format it to FAT32, but also that it has its problems? Anyone who can share if their 64GB cards work on a N3DS XL?

Last edited by Kapaya,

Ryu X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question would this work for switching to a new card.
1. Back up the visible files on old SD card
2. use old SD card in 3ds, open emunand9 dump emunand
3. copy emunand to pc
4. start emunand9 with old sd card, then do the emunand set up with new sd card
5. get my emunand backup from the pc copy it to my new card then restore it with emunand9
6. copy all the files over from my old sd card that i saved on pc

Sr. G

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
This work to me except than i can't install cia now, they get 99% and then "failed"
that happened to me with all cia than i have (I tryed with old cia that i played before)

I changed from 4GB Sandisk (Class 4) to a 16GB Kingston (Class 10)

EDIT: i can play with the games that alredy are installed but i can't install new games.
i tryed with FBI and Blue big Menu

Last edited by Sr. G,

DoArt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone is getting errors with EaseUS partition tool, redo this proccess but use paragon partition manager instead of easeus.

Real.96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If i want to use a new smaller SD how can i do?

I've done it. Just used 3DS Multi emuNAND creator. I created the emuNAND from PC and used emuNAND Tool to inject the emuNAND i neede to inject

Last edited by Real.96,

Pienkaito

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I have a problem with the final steps of this guide. Whenever I extend the data partition, it simply assigns a drive letter to the emuNAND partition and now I can't access the SD card anymore. Assigning a drive letter to the data partition doesn't work either. It says that Windows only recognizes the first primary partition.

Going from 4GB to 16GB. Both are FAT32.
Using CakesFW

Last edited by Pienkaito,

MrTurtle

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a problem with the final steps of this guide. Whenever I extend the data partition, it simply assigns a drive letter to the emuNAND partition and now I can't access the SD card anymore. Assigning a drive letter to the data partition doesn't work either. It says that Windows only recognizes the first primary partition.

Going from 4GB to 16GB. Both are FAT32.
Using CakesFW

I have the same problem :/. In the tutorial it shows 3 partitions but two of them don't have anything in them. In mine i have 3 partitions but 2 of them have stuff in them and after I resize the second one i can't access the SD :/ Have you found a solucion?

K0nr4d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have the same problem :/. In the tutorial it shows 3 partitions but two of them don't have anything in them. In mine i have 3 partitions but 2 of them have stuff in them and after I resize the second one i can't access the SD :/ Have you found a solucion?
I have the same problem. also going from 4gb to 16gb.

K0nr4d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So I am at this point again. What should I do now? Which partition should I resize?
When I resize the EMUNAND9SD partition windows can't read the sd card anymore and I can't do anything too.
Please help me.

Edit: btw I'm using a 8GB micro SD card in a SD card adapter if that makes any different.
Edit2: I bought myself a 32GB SD today because I thought my other SD card was broken or something but I still get the same issue.
PemNNgT.png

sorry for German picture

Last edited by K0nr4d,

rody2k6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So guys, is it still no 100% stress free when going from let's say 8G to 16GB? That's my plan, I thought there was an easier way of just copy and paste my 8GB into my 16GB but it ain't like that isn't it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7