Tom McShea responds to Zelda review criticism

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why cant they create a regular zelda game instead of filling it with gimmicks...
unlike TP, there is no choice

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
inb4Guild bitches about controls and Nintendo being bad. :ha:

The controls are bad. Everything else is rather decent minus a ton of fluff. Honestly, cut out the fluff, make the controls work, and you've got the best Zelda game period. Level designs are great although it feels like a lot of puzzles are more obtuse than difficult.

Still, the controls are bad.

EDIT: Also, whenever we have a dissenter amongst reviewers, everyone cries. Same thing happened with Sonic Generations. I approached this game with an open mind, read up on my posts and you'll find that I've had positive feelings on the game minus story and art, but I'm honestly getting let down.

D

Deleted User

inb4Guild bitches about controls and Nintendo being bad. :ha:

The controls are bad. Everything else is rather decent minus a ton of fluff. Honestly, cut out the fluff, make the controls work, and you've got the best Zelda game period. Level designs are great although it feels like a lot of puzzles are more obtuse than difficult.

Still, the controls are bad.

EDIT: Also, whenever we have a dissenter amongst reviewers, everyone cries. Same thing happened with Sonic Generations. I approached this game with an open mind, read up on my posts and you'll find that I've had positive feelings on the game minus story and art, but I'm honestly getting let down.
Nothing is wrong with the controls. They work perfect.
Edit: outside of having to press down on the D-pad ( Takes less than a second, so it cant really break immersion) to center aiming, there is really nothing out of place.

I'm willing to bet most of the people that cry about WM+ on this game have some sort of defective controller, or play like they're having a seizure.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
So much whining about one review...
I know, it's not even the review as a whole, just the fucking comment he made on the controls.

Fucking hell people, nobody should get this upset over a review.

Edit: And while I'm bitching, what kind of title is that? I was like Tom McShea who?
What?
That Gamespot review?
WHO CARES?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You seem to forgot to support this argument at all.

As an actual user of the game, if I'm having issues, then there are issues. I have two perfectly functioning hands, a perfectly functioning Wii, a perfectly functioning remote, and I've set things up optimally. I've played Wii Motion Plus games before without issues, using similar mechanics like sword fighting. Why is it that Skyward Sword has this issue? It's definitely not just me.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

You seem to forgot to support this argument at all.

As an actual user of the game, if I'm having issues, then there are issues. I have two perfectly functioning hands, a perfectly functioning Wii, a perfectly functioning remote, and I've set things up optimally. I've played Wii Motion Plus games before without issues, using similar mechanics like sword fighting. Why is it that Skyward Sword has this issue? It's definitely not just me.

You're right, it's not just you. But if most of the people playing the game have no problem than it must be something you're doing or perhaps even the game/equipment you own is doing it wrong. But really I think none of us have any idea how bad the controls are for everyone considering the game just released yesterday in Europe and hasn't been released in the US, the capital of bitchy gamers.

Until we see more user reviews we can't tell if it's the person playing the game or if it's the game itself that is the problem.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: And while I'm bitching, what kind of title is that? I was like Tom McShea who?
What?
That Gamespot review?
WHO CARES?

I changed the title to something a bit better, I was also like "Tom who?" For some reason I thought this thread would be about football or something until I saw that KingVamp made it.

You're right, it's not just you. But if most of the people playing the game have no problem than it must be something you're doing or perhaps even the game/equipment you own is doing it wrong. But really I think none of us have any idea how bad the controls are for everyone considering the game just released yesterday in Europe and hasn't been released in the US, the capital of bitchy gamers.

Until we see more user reviews we can't tell if it's the person playing the game or if it's the game itself that is the problem.

I've used the same equipment and set up for other WM+ games (namely Wii Sports Resort, Red Steel 2, and Zangeki no Reginleiv) and never had issues in terms of the device working in any of those. If there's any fault it's not mine.

D

Deleted User

So what is the problem with the controls then, Like be more specific.

I keep hearing how sword swinging is bad, and stabbing is bad, but I played the game for over 30 hours and not ONCE had any problems with directional swinging.

Out of EVERYTHING, the only bad controls would be during the start of the game with the free falling, but that doesn't matter, as its not used for anything outside of a sidequest.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I keep hearing how sword swinging is bad, and stabbing is bad, but I played the game for over 30 hours and not ONCE had any problems with directional swinging.

Out of EVERYTHING, the only bad controls would be during the start of the game with the free falling, but that doesn't matter, as its not used for anything outside of a sidequest.

I try to change my hand positioning of the sword to get a more optimal angle and I end up slashing randomly. And when most enemies in the game start punishing you for mistakes, it's a pain when the mistake isn't even my own. Trying to bowl is also a pain in the balls. I wouldn't complain if I could just throw bombs for the same result and the whole "bowling" method was just for those who wanted a second option, but it's required at times and it's a pain. Maybe I'm not a good bowler but I don't think my skills on the alley should be calculated into an action adventure game.

Plus they're overly sensitive. I'll point my sword skyward and you'd assume that it should just charge up for a Skyward Slash. No, I have to keep it in a very specific position to use it. I don't use it in combat so it's not an issue but it just adds a nuisance to doing basic things like hitting those boxes and activating the shrine things.

I'll see enemies with clearly logical ways of attacking them only to have my attacks bounce off. Case in point, goblins. They'll hold up their blade in a upper, horizontal block. So I know a vertical swipe or a high horizontal strike would be foolish. So I go for a low, horizontal strike, only to have him block it. Why? There's no reason why he should be blocking it. I'd been able to own people in Wii Sports Resort and Red Steel 2 with sword fighting, why is their an issue now?

Then there's all the useless uses of it. Why do I need it for controlling the bug copter thing? It's not bad, sure, but I could do it just as well with an analog stick honestly. Why do I need it for balancing on a tightrope? I can do it easier with an analog stick. Why do I need it for skydiving? Again, analog stick.

I thought Nintendo's point with games like this is to validate their new control methods as something that can be a key addition to gameplay, doing stuff an analog stick or standard scheme can't. Making you long for analog stick controls on practically every use of it except for the one thing it can do uniquely (swordplay) is the exact opposite of you want. They want to market it as a new way to play, not a gimmick that starts shitting up basic mechanics because they can use it for everything.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The controls work fine for me. The reviewer obviously doesn't know how to play the game.

If he didn't know how to play the game it'd be getting a much lower score than 7.5. Case in point, IGN review of God Hand. They gave it, what, a 2 or a 3 because they sucked at it? It's not a matter of the reviewer "being bad", it's a matter of the game having bad aspects.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'll see enemies with clearly logical ways of attacking them only to have my attacks bounce off. Case in point, goblins. They'll hold up their blade in a upper, horizontal block. So I know a vertical swipe or a high horizontal strike would be foolish. So I go for a low, horizontal strike, only to have him block it. Why? There's no reason why he should be blocking it.

for once i agree with you as soon as i got the bow i just ended up putting these bastards out of their misery with it all the time and never used the sword again :P

Then there's all the useless uses of it. Why do I need it for controlling the bug copter thing? It's not bad, sure, but I could do it just as well with an analog stick honestly. Why do I need it for balancing on a tightrope? I can do it easier with an analog stick. Why do I need it for skydiving? Again, analog stick.

analog works well for swimming too :creep:

D

Deleted User

I try to change my hand positioning of the sword to get a more optimal angle and I end up slashing randomly.-Sounds like a controller problem And when most enemies in the game start punishing you for mistakes, it's a pain when the mistake isn't even my own. Trying to bowl is also a pain in the balls. I wouldn't complain if I could just throw bombs for the same result and the whole "bowling" method was just for those who wanted a second option, but it's required at times and it's a pain. Maybe I'm not a good bowler but I don't think my skills on the alley should be calculated into an action adventure game. -Really? You just til the controller as if you're pointing to the floor and flick a little upward, Its really not hard, and I find it really fun.
Plus they're overly sensitive. I'll point my sword skyward and you'd assume that it should just charge up for a Skyward Slash. No, I have to keep it in a very specific position to use it. I don't use it in combat so it's not an issue but it just adds a nuisance to doing basic things like hitting those boxes and activating the shrine things. You're suppose to keep it straight up without moving, even FI said so.

I'll see enemies with clearly logical ways of attacking them only to have my attacks bounce off. Case in point, goblins. They'll hold up their blade in a upper, horizontal block. So I know a vertical swipe or a high horizontal strike would be foolish. So I go for a low, horizontal strike, only to have him block it. Why? There's no reason why he should be blocking it. I'd been able to own people in Wii Sports Resort and Red Steel 2 with sword fighting, why is their an issue now?-You're suppose to bait goblins and strike in the other direction, like Girahim.

Then there's all the useless uses of it. Why do I need it for controlling the bug copter thing? It's not bad, sure, but I could do it just as well with an analog stick honestly. Why do I need it for balancing on a tightrope?- Hold A while balancing to move faster I can do it easier with an analog stick. Why do I need it for skydiving? Again, analog stick.

I thought Nintendo's point with games like this is to validate their new control methods as something that can be a key addition to gameplay, doing stuff an analog stick or standard scheme can't. Making you long for analog stick controls on practically every use of it except for the one thing it can do uniquely (swordplay) is the exact opposite of you want. They want to market it as a new way to play, not a gimmick that starts shitting up basic mechanics because they can use it for everything.
^

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a controller problem

Never had this issue in other games.

Really? You just til the controller as if you're pointing to the floor and flick a little upward, Its really not hard, and I find it really fun.

Except when I flick it, the angle changes. Even then, I find it unresponsive when I do so. It's hard to keep the damn thing straight as to not create an angle and to flick it at a correct speed to trigger a roll.

You're suppose to keep it straight up without moving, even FI said so.

Which I do and it still doesn't work. I should just be able to point my sword skyward and keep it there. I mean it's a goddamn SKYWARD STRIKE in a game called SKYWARD SWORD. Why does not pointing a SWORD SKYWARD do a SKYWARD STRIKE like advertised? Hell, I mimic the exact pose he does on the cover and he still refuses to do it.

You're suppose to bait goblins and strike in the other direction, like Girahim.

Which is basically the same thing as changing the directionality of your sword to counter whatever stance they're using. I had no problems doing this method on Girahim.

Hold A while balancing to move faster

Still doesn't stop the mechanic from being useless and retarded. I do sprint but I still move slowly it seems.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i found if you held the controller upside down like your holding a dumbbell pulling it towards you the bomb rolling was easy and you could do it sitting down. but yeh the bomb rolling is still fucking bad.

i'm starting to agree with the 7.5 rating maybe even a 6-7 :creep:

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i found if you held the controller upside down like your holding a dumbbell pulling it towards you the bomb rolling was easy and you could do it sitting down. but yeh the bomb rolling is still fucking bad.

Hm, I'll try this. Hopefully they'll start losing emphasis on this mechanic and just let throwing them be an equally good option.

For sitting down I just let my arm over the chair arm like I was moving a wheelchair. And don't go "AW THE GAME CONTROLS BAD BECAUSE YOU'RE SITTING" because I played it standing up as well and still had issues. Plus I played Red Steel 2 sitting down with no issues.

EDIT: The game itself is very well designed, it's just a shame that they shit it up with the motion controls and some really useless mechanics. Why do I need a conversation system, for instance, when it does nothing? This ain't Mass Effect. If anything I'd rather have on-rails dialogue where you just press A to go through dialogue boxes.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
While I can't say much about Tom's problem with the controls, how many people have a legitimate copy of Skyward Sword? Are those with one still having the problem? And for those that don't, could it be possible that this might be some small form of anti-piracy, or even a problem related to loaders, mods, etc? Just bringing it up because it seems some people have the problem, others don't, yet at this time, only in Europe is SS actually released (EU - Nov 18, US - Nov 20, JP - 23, AU - Nov 24), meaning you either live there and bought it, or you've got a pirated version.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Controls are perfect for me. I didn’t have any issues with it. You just have to know how to do things. Everyone is complaining about Goblins. It's simple... instead of waving your entire arm, just do a quick wrist move in the opposite direction of his blade and then start waving your arm like with a real sword (the same technique for beating Girahim on your first encounter with him).

Like I've said 10 thousand times before... if someone is having problems with the controls, it could only be one of two things:
1. your controller doesn’t work
2. you suck

I have only 2 major complains with the game:
1. Why can't I adjust the text speed like every other RPG?... The text scrolls so slow! (even with the A button pressed).
2. no minimap? really? no minimap?!! I really hope that you can get it later on doing a sidequest or something (but I doubt it). Can someone confirm this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You met yourself also and is a giant piece of shit?
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Then again, I don't think I'd really enjoy it //shrug
    I'm sure it's an acquired taste :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Poor lad can never enjoy the amazing taste of four loko
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Root beer is a gateway drink, don't ever try it either.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, don't you love how smooth MD20 is
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mad dog 20 20? Oh yea fixed the typo. I haven't seen that or had forever. Do they still make it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think it's why I'm alive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What happens if when playing Paper Mario, you start a fire in-game?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Paper Mario is a drug dealer and he is all about the paper yo lol
    +2
    Ffft
    On another note, I love how folks are drawing Callie in that suit that Splatoon NA dropped on Twitter
  • RetroNerdGamer @ RetroNerdGamer:
    Beer isnt my thing but a root beer once in a while is good
    it gotta be MUG brand tho
    man i shoulda gotten one to open a cold one with TTYD Remake
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    man, rootbeer is so good
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Think I prefer Barq's to MUG though. But, it's been a while, maybe I need a side by side to refresh my memory lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like Frosties if you see it at the store worth atry
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Hmmm interesting
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking bottled sodas priced more stupid than 12 packs
    yooo might try taht frostie one
    order it onlinen if i have to.