Hacking Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE restoration

jamtea

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey there, thanks to you guys I found a reason to actually run my Wii U!

The reason I'm commenting is that at the start of the third chapter, Barry makes mention of borrowing Mamori's 'charger', but in the Japanese audio, he is clearly borrowing her handkerchief. This element of censorship probably escaped most people's attention, but it threw me when i heard it. It's the only thing I've noticed so far that has been missed. Apologies if it's been fixed in version 1.0,but my save file is past this point now and I'm not in a position to recheck it by replaying through.

I'm changing over to V 1.0 tonight, so if it helps I'll mention any other small misses like this that I notice.

Thanks again for the hard work!

Reactions: Dehumanize

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
OP
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Hey there, thanks to you guys I found a reason to actually run my Wii U!

The reason I'm commenting is that at the start of the third chapter, Barry makes mention of borrowing Mamori's 'charger', but in the Japanese audio, he is clearly borrowing her handkerchief. This element of censorship probably escaped most people's attention, but it threw me when i heard it. It's the only thing I've noticed so far that has been missed. Apologies if it's been fixed in version 1.0,but my save file is past this point now and I'm not in a position to recheck it by replaying through.

I'm changing over to V 1.0 tonight, so if it helps I'll mention any other small misses like this that I notice.

Thanks again for the hard work!
oohh, we didn't know about that. I came across a full list f the localization changes so I'll check if we didn't miss anything else.
Thanks for informing about that.

Baphomet

Homebrew Justice Warrior™
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
WE RECOMMEND YOU SAVE OFTEN DUE TO THE BUGS FOUND IN THE WESTERN VERSION.
This comes across as needlessly shitting on the "Western version". Not only did they change some stuff but we GOT BUGS TOO!!11!!! You can't use the Japanese version for the patch, why bring it up?

Fwiw. One of the issues is also very much present in the Japanese game. The one where it crashes at the end of a battle. So, I'm not going to rule out the others. It's REALLY RARE though. I've actually had more crashes in the Japanese version. 4 to the EU versions 0. I was able to re-create the "Tsubasa's character profile" crash using your patch... and not using the EU game etc. Lots of people seem to have gotten their dump from the same "source" too.

You should save often in any RPG they are usually huge and often, that brings bugs. You should especially save using this patch because of what it is.

I honestly really do commend what you've all achieved, the attention to detail and response times has been nothing short of amazing. But, seeing some of the crap the localisation (which still makes up the bulk of the game) is getting in the comments... is well, unfair and I think this sort of adds to that.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Sn0wCrack

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This comes across as needlessly shitting on the "Western version". Not only did they change some stuff but we GOT BUGS TOO!!11!!! You can't use the Japanese version for the patch, why bring it up?

Fwiw. One of the issues is also very much present in the Japanese game. The one where it crashes at the end of a battle. So, I'm not going to rule out the others. It's REALLY RARE though. I've actually had more crashes in the Japanese version. 4 to the EU versions 0. I was able to re-create the "Tsubasa's character profile" crash using your patch... and not using the EU game etc. Lots of people seem to have gotten their dump from the same "source" too.

You should save often in any RPG they are usually huge and often, that brings bugs. You should especially save using this patch because of what it is.

I honestly really do commend what you've all achieved, the attention to detail and response times has been nothing short of amazing. But, seeing some of the crap the localisation (which still makes up the bulk of the game) is getting in the comments... is well, unfair and I think this sort of adds to that.

The reason we recommend saving is exactly that, these bugs are random, we don't 100% know what causes them, and could happen to anyone at anytime and strip away their progress, we want people to be cautious because of it.
And yes, these issues are a western version issue, as reported by users on various other forums, but then again we can't exactly compare the two that well with Japanese version users.

And yes, there's a massive reason to bring it up, and it's not us shitting on the original western version, it's exactly what I stated above, I don't want people to lose any progress in the game, or come to us saying the patch is casuing the crash, when it's an issue with the game itself.
And I don't think people adding their two cents to an issue is "unfair" people add their two cents to everything, whether it's negative or positive, that's how discourse works.

Reactions: Yeas

Baphomet

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
The reason we recommend saving is exactly that, these bugs are random, we don't 100% know what causes them, and could happen to anyone at anytime and strip away their progress, we want people to be cautious because of it.
And yes, these issues are a western version issue, as reported by users on various other forums, but then again we can't exactly compare the two that well with Japanese version users.

And yes, there's a massive reason to bring it up, and it's not us shitting on the original western version, it's exactly what I stated above, I don't want people to lose any progress in the game, or come to us saying the patch is casuing the crash, when it's an issue with the game itself.
And I don't think people adding their two cents to an issue is "unfair" people add their two cents to everything, whether it's negative or positive, that's how discourse works.
You haven't acknowledged my point. Why are you highlighting WESTERN? Please explain. It goes without saying you're gonna need the Western Version™ and if some people on forums is enough, I've just told you both versions suffer from similar issues. The GAME suffers from bugs, not a specific regional variant.

And yeah, people commenting positive/negative things is how discourse works. Thanks for that.

But, as the creators of the patch are you honestly happy with some of these comments? At the end of the day, your patch does rely on the work of the people who made the game and that includes the localisation team. The very fact the OP doesn't contain any mention to support Atlus etc.... I dunno, shouldn't that be the first thing to really have up on it? The game hasn't been magically transformed from a piece of shit to gold by this patch. This is a patch which argues for integrity when it comes to localisation. You all really should be stating you are owners of the game and all that jazz tbh. I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with me highlighting that the OP comes across the way it does.

Last edited by Baphomet,

Sn0wCrack

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You haven't acknowledged my point. Why are you highlighting WESTERN? Please explain. It goes without saying you're gonna need the Western Version™ and if some people on forums is enough, I've just told you both versions suffer from similar issues. The GAME suffers from bugs, not a specific regional variant.

And yeah, people commenting positive/negative things is how discourse works. Thanks for that.

But, as the creators of the patch are you honestly happy with some of these comments? At the end of the day, your patch does rely on the work of the people who made the game and that includes the localisation team. The very fact the OP doesn't contain any mention to support Atlus etc.... I dunno, shouldn't that be the first thing to really have up on it? The game hasn't been magically transformed from a piece of shit to gold by this patch. This is a patch which argues for integrity when it comes to localisation. You all really should be stating you are owners of the game and all that jazz tbh. I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with me highlighting that the OP comes across the way it does.

We pointed the western version because that's the only version we knew these issues existed in, many reports we found said that they didn't suffer them in the Japanese version on their play through, none of us even personally played the Japanese veresion save for one member, so thanks for pointing it out, I can update the OP if it's really that much of an issue.

And, we didn't make these comments, and we don't endorse them or discourage them, I don't care what someone else says. And we never said "this makes the game better" or "fixes the western version" only that it makes the game into a way certain people might want. And of course we assume you own the game, look at the OP, we state numourus times you need a copy to make a dump to apply this patch, we assume people own the game, and in the discord we stated to everyone who comes in, to dump their own game.

We don't need to state "buy the game and support it" really because people will pirate it or buy it regardless of what we say, it's only them left as a deciding factor and isn't our responsibility for what other people do, it's completely out of our hands.
But of course we went to all this effort to make this patch, so of course we care about the game, personally I own the Japanese and English release of the game (one regular and one Fortissimo edition), but I don't know how me telling you that I own the game, or how many times I bought it would really effect anything.

We just try to remain on neutral footing on everything so that we don't endorse anything, that way, we stay out of trouble like this.

However, out of respect of keeping this kind of thing out of the thread, if you want to continue this discussion, I might suggest we move to a PM for anything further, so the thread doesn't get clogged up with this kind of discussion.

Baphomet

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
We pointed the western version because that's the only version we knew these issues existed in, many reports we found said that they didn't suffer them in the Japanese version on their play through, none of us even personally played the Japanese veresion save for one member, so thanks for pointing it out, I can update the OP if it's really that much of an issue.

And, we didn't make these comments, and we don't endorse them or discourage them, I don't care what someone else says. And we never said "this makes the game better" or "fixes the western version" only that it makes the game into a way certain people might want. And of course we assume you own the game, look at the OP, we state numourus times you need a copy to make a dump to apply this patch, we assume people own the game, and in the discord we stated to everyone who comes in, to dump their own game.

We don't need to state "buy the game and support it" really because people will pirate it or buy it regardless of what we say, it's only them left as a deciding factor and isn't our responsibility for what other people do, it's completely out of our hands.
But of course we went to all this effort to make this patch, so of course we care about the game, personally I own the Japanese and English release of the game (one regular and one Fortissimo edition), but I don't know how me telling you that I own the game, or how many times I bought it would really effect anything.

We just try to remain on neutral footing on everything so that we don't endorse anything, that way, we stay out of trouble like this.

However, out of respect of keeping this kind of thing out of the thread, if you want to continue this discussion, I might suggest we move to a PM for anything further, so the thread doesn't get clogged up with this kind of discussion.

This is about the patch, the op and it's effects. It belongs in here. You allow much worse without comment. Choosing to be ok with praise but mild criticism has to go in a PM? No.

Given how people like pointing out all the differences between versions. Then, I'd say it is fair to highlight a negative one being applicable to both versions.

What is wrong with stating that you care about the game in the OP? If you look back earlier on in the thread, a user on these boards BOUGHT the game because of this patch, they posted a picture and everything. YOU AND YOUR TEAM are responsible for that and that is something to be proud of. So, if your patch has an effect like this.... maybe saying you don't condone those who use this as mental gymnastics to pirate will do so too. Simply shrugging and going "Piracy Happens", it's not cool.

Having time to credit yourselves, fair enough. It's just bloody weird Atlus' only mention is to do with will they make a patch for bugs and not "thanks for the awesome game". I have no idea why you are so reluctant to give credit to the game makers and show that you and your team not only supported the game but made a patch to enhance other peoples enjoyment. Bizarre.

Last edited by Baphomet,

Hornet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exaclty what do you want them to do? You're making a big deal out of nothing. Nobody is going to buy the game because the OP says so, and someone buying the game because there's a patch like this doesn't mean people won't pirate it if the OP tells them not to. In fact, a patch like this that requires you to have a dump of the game is more incentive to pirate it rather than dump it. What difference does it make if they thank Atlus for a game people weren't willing to buy without this patch? Why would I want to thank a company that doesn't care about their own audience?

Sn0wCrack

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is about the patch, the op and it's effects. It belongs in here. You allow much worse without comment. Choosing to be ok with praise but mild criticism has to go in a PM? No.

Given how people like pointing out all the differences between versions. Then, I'd say it is fair to highlight a negative one being applicable to both versions.

What is wrong with stating that you care about the game in the OP? If you look back earlier on in the thread, a user on these boards BOUGHT the game because of this patch, they posted a picture and everything. YOU AND YOUR TEAM are responsible for that and that is something to be proud of. So, if your patch has an effect like this.... maybe saying you don't condone those who use this as mental gymnastics to pirate will do so too. Simply shrugging and going "Piracy Happens", it's not cool.

Having time to credit yourselves, fair enough. It's just bloody weird Atlus' only mention is to do with will they make a patch for bugs and not "thanks for the awesome game". I have no idea why you are so reluctant to give credit to the game makers and show that you and your team not only supported the game but made a patch to enhance other peoples enjoyment. Bizarre.

No, I simply didn't want a long argument here honestly, a simple comment is fine, but a thread of them I feel clogs up the place, and the argument is delving into territory I feel that delves into personal values, that's all, if you want to keep it here, that's fine.

And yes, it's a good thing the game is getting sales because of us, it's a neat thing. But it's a principle of character, I want to remain neutral and egalitarian, I don't want to take sides, I simply want this to exist without anything beyond its existance to be added to argument, event then I'd rather it not.
And I don't feel the need to mention people need to buy the game or not, it's up to them, if it was inspired by this patch, that's great, wonderful even, but if someone pirates it, I doubt they'll listen to me otherwise, it adds nothing of value in the end, people who thought the only issue was these things not being avaliable to them will more than likely buy the game now, people who however think this is a deeper issue and don't want to support Nintendo because of it, won't buy the game still and will perhaps even pirate it. We're not the voice of God and we can't change how people feel.
Neither does saying Atlus made a good game or not, it's a subjective matter that again, doesn't add a thing to it but our feelings on the game.
And of course I'm going to say Atlus/Nintendo has to make the patch, they have to, they made the game, it's just a sentence and isn't an inlined jab at the Western release nor Atlus/Nintendo themselves.

Reactions: qtfoo

Baphomet

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
No, I simply didn't want a long argument here honestly, a simple comment is fine, but a thread of them I feel clogs up the place, and the argument is delving into territory I feel that delves into personal values, that's all, if you want to keep it here, that's fine.

And yes, it's a good thing the game is getting sales because of us, it's a neat thing. But it's a principle of character, I want to remain neutral and egalitarian, I don't want to take sides, I simply want this to exist without anything beyond its existance to be added to argument, event then I'd rather it not.
And I don't feel the need to mention people need to buy the game or not, it's up to them, if it was inspired by this patch, that's great, wonderful even, but if someone pirates it, I doubt they'll listen to me otherwise, it adds nothing of value in the end, people who thought the only issue was these things not being avaliable to them will more than likely buy the game now, people who however think this is a deeper issue and don't want to support Nintendo because of it, won't buy the game still and will perhaps even pirate it. We're not the voice of God and we can't change how people feel.
Neither does saying Atlus made a good game or not, it's a subjective matter that again, doesn't add a thing to it but our feelings on the game.
And of course I'm going to say Atlus/Nintendo has to make the patch, they have to, they made the game, it's just a sentence and isn't an inlined jab at the Western release nor Atlus/Nintendo themselves.

Well, this very patch challenges values and integrity. You can't sit on the fence entirely, can you? It requires you use a method associated with piracy.... and given these boards have a stance on that. I don't know why you are so reluctant.

What we have is you saying you have no opinion on the issues you've opened by making it. You did it, just because? Oh well.

Sn0wCrack

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What we have is you saying you have no opinion on the issues you've opened by making it. You did it, just because? Oh well.
Oh no, I do have an opinion on the issue, it's fairly implied in the fact I helped make this patch.

But in terms of piracy and other such things, me talking about it isn't going to affect anyone, sure, I'd perfer the game to do well, but it's out of my hands, and me saying to buy it isn't going to make anyone feel anything, that's why it's better to stay neutral, it's pointless one way or the other.

Reactions: Dehumanize

Elegroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted to say thank you for creating this patch. I wasn't going to purchase the game because I didn't approve of the amount of censorship, but when I found out about this patch I went to my local GameStop and purchased the last Limited Edition available. I do not personally condone piracy, so that would never be an option for me.

It took a few days (apparently my first dump of the game was broken), but I got the patch working and am thoroughly enjoying the game so far. Definitely happy with my purchase and decision to patch the game.

Brottus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This patch is for the US or EUR version of the game. It won't work with the Japanese version.

You can't play the patched game in any other language than English, because there is no official or even unofficial translation to any other language.

There are no English voices, but some of the Japanese voices were redubbed for the US/EUR version because of the script changes made for the Western public. This patch reverts all these changes, but all the voices are in Japanese whether you use the patch or not.
Thank you now i have a clear picture thank you.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont mean to take a shit on everyone contributing to this restoration, I just feel the efforts should of went towards translating the Japanese version of the game for a number of reasons.

1. I only have little to no experience but I would imagine that translating and replacing text is far less hassle to deal with than trying to to replace whole models and assets for the entire game, furthermore whos to say the text itself was free of censorship. Thats additional work on top of restoring the models and assets.

2. The Japan version has exclusive DLC, at this moment DLC does not work in Loadiine unless its already paid for and you must own a Japanese Wii U to own that specific DLC but if that day ever comes when it does work. Congratz, none of us can use it cause of region locking. (then again maybe that can get figured out too.)

3. You are supporting the inferior version of the game and NoA does not deserve a cent for tarnishing a game to push their agenda. Instead of supporting the original version like everyone should this guide insists you pay for the censored one to create a backup to undo the shit the localization team has done.

Reactions: Azel

Sn0wCrack

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I dont mean to take a shit on everyone contributing to this restoration, I just feel the efforts should of went towards translating the Japanese version of the game for a number of reasons.

1. I only have little to no experience but I would imagine that translating and replacing text is far less hassle to deal with than trying to to replace whole models and assets for the entire game, furthermore whos to say the text itself was free of censorship. Thats additional work on top of restoring the models and assets.

2. The Japan version has exclusive DLC, at this moment DLC does not work in Loadiine unless its already paid for and you must own a Japanese Wii U to own that specific DLC but if that day ever comes when it does work. Congratz, none of us can use it cause of region locking. (then again maybe that can get figured out too.)

3. You are supporting the inferior version of the game and NoA does not deserve a cent for tarnishing a game to push their agenda. Instead of supporting the original version like everyone should this guide insists you pay for the censored one to create a backup to undo the shit the localization team has done.

There's a few big reasons we went with the English version as a base:

1. Translating is hard and replacing models and textures took us all of five seconds. The bulk of the wait time on our first release was actually because of translation, and not because of anything else. We can just insert the script, that's on the table, however, the next reason makes this impossible for the time being...

2. As much as we want to use the Japanese game for the DLC, we can't given our current Wii U hacking technology, the biggest issue is the Font, the original Japanese version didn't have English glyphs as a part of any of its fonts in a non full-width format, and inserting the English fonts into the game produced very poor results, with characters overlapping, glitchly displaying, etc. And all of the related font rendering processes exists with the RPX, something we cannot decompile and recompile at will.

3. We want people to be able to use this patch legally with their copies of the game that they could easily obtain, dump and patch.

Last edited by Sn0wCrack,

tvo770

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if it's possible to texture edit Kiria's Dominant Queen costume so it matches what is shown in the reincarnation cut scene?

tvo770

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the same even in the japanese version. The one shown in the cutscene was removed.
I know that that's why I asked if it's possible to make a texture edit like what's been and done in Super Smash Bros U with the Bayonetta and Corrin uncensor mods

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
OP
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
New version released
Version 1.1 - Handkerchief Edition:
- Barry now borrows Mamori's handkerchief instead of her phone charger.
- Tsubasa now hand-out tissues instead of freebies.
- If you are in version 1.0 you only need to repatch pack_031_message.cpk.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Donkusei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's a few big reasons we went with the English version as a base:

1. Translating is hard and replacing models and textures took us all of five seconds. The bulk of the wait time on our first release was actually because of translation, and not because of anything else. We can just insert the script, that's on the table, however, the next reason makes this impossible for the time being...

2. As much as we want to use the Japanese game for the DLC, we can't given our current Wii U hacking technology, the biggest issue is the Font, the original Japanese version didn't have English glyphs as a part of any of its fonts in a non full-width format, and inserting the English fonts into the game produced very poor results, with characters overlapping, glitchly displaying, etc. And all of the related font rendering processes exists with the RPX, something we cannot decompile and recompile at will.

3. We want people to be able to use this patch legally with their copies of the game that they could easily obtain, dump and patch.
I think your decision was the best. I made a dump from my game (by the way a PAL Fortissimo Edition) and I'm happy about it. Because it's my game and my download speed is not good. Also, I think most of people who play TMSFE bought TMSFE. I hope. The decision to allow DLC in Loadiine but only if you bought them is a good decision.

Thank you. You and all people who have worked on this patch.

I have a question (sorry if someone already asked) for you... Could we get a patch for Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water (Fatal Frame 5)? It could be great because a lot of censorship in this game. :(

Last edited by Donkusei,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Happy birthday!