Hardware Time frame of software upgrades?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL...
You are one of those who assume if the console has a browser it can be hacked right?

The ps4 has themes or will have themes, so hax confirm?

Come on people.. Stop being stupid..
Each console had its own OS, with its own flaws, the switch having a browser or a sound player or wth enabled the hax on the 3ds. doesn't mean it's the same thing as 3ds.
One of the fucking PSP first exploits was a overflow or something like that on the picture viewer, the exploit would be launched through a gif image.
And yet when the ps3 was a thing or the ps4 is here, no one would just say stupid stuff like since you can see pictures on the console, hax is confirmed.
Please stop this stupidity
Please point to exactly where I made that statement? Oh wait you can't because I didn't.
The point I WAS making however was that Nintendo will probably be hesitant on releasing anything like themes or a web browser because of what happened with them on the 3ds/wii u. I'm sure they will release them eventually, but they will definitely be more careful in making sure it's not as exploitable, if exploitable at all. I never, ever said "if they add a browser or themes we have a guaranteed exploit guyz".
Saying Nintendo will be more cautious with their browser and themes, and potentially not even releasing them because of their exploitability on the 3ds does not correlate at all to me saying if they are released then "h4x confirmed guys". You just made yourself look stupid going on that unnecessary rant about something I never even said lol.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just my estimations.
1) SDXC: After Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
2) Capture 1920 * 1080 pictures/ 720p video: Around Mario Odessy, or mid 2018 at worst.
3) Online services (Lobby, voice chat, etc.): Around September.
By making these updates essential for the console to function, Nintendo eliminate any hack in 2017.

None of those sound essential, but #2 especially.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
It most definitely is not. Where did you pull that one from?
Uh yeah it is lol. Software is anything (non-physical data) ran and managed by hardware (physical components). The OS is firmware, which links up the two. However, it is software since it is not hardcoded into any hardware, and because an OS is the very definition of what software is. Firmware, Operating System, and System Software are all synonymous.

That isn't to be confused with system software, like the games or applets or whatever.

There is hardcoded firmware inside some hardware, however that isn't the topic being discussed in this thread.

Last edited by Halvorsen,
Reactions: DarthDub

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh yeah it is lol. Software is anything (non-physical data) ran and managed by hardware (physical components). The OS is firmware, which links up the two. However, it is software since it is not hardcoded into any hardware, and because an OS is the very definition of what software is. Firmware, Operating System, and System Software are all synonymous.

That isn't to be confused with system software, like the games or applets or whatever.

There is hardcoded firmware inside some hardware, however that isn't the topic being discussed in this thread.
Your reaching so hard right now. The OP never said the OS at all which would indeed be a software but that was never specified.

Please stop defending ignorance.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Your reaching so hard right now. The OP never said the OS at all which would indeed be a software but that was never specified.

Please stop defending ignorance.
I legitimately have no idea what you're going on about. Unless you haven't read the literal first post you would see everything he is talking about regards the OS. This topic is about whether or not firmware was a form of software, so don't change the subject. Just accept that you were incorrect, K? It isn't that big of a deal.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I legitimately have no idea what you're going on about. Unless you haven't read the literal first post you would see everything he is talking about regards the OS. This topic is about whether or not firmware was a form of software, so don't change the subject. Just accept that you were incorrect, K? It isn't that big of a deal.
I'm not gonna live in a bubble and pretend one thing is something else to fit an argument like your doing. Your more than welcome to do that but I prefer to live in the real world with factual information.

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I should have said OS in the title. Regarding the three updates.
Number one is definitely firmware. The controller will then be able to tap into 90MB/S with SDXC.
Number two is Also firmware since it modifies the encoder.
Number three is mostly software

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>argument over whether or not firmware is software
>I don't even

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware

Historically (1990s and earlier), firmware was a bootstrap program in permanent ROM (mask ROM, PROM, etc). This includes the Game Boy bootstrap ROM, Apple II monitor, Commodore 64 KERNAL, and others. In the mid-90s, PC BIOSes transitioned from mask ROM to flash ROM, which allowed for updates in the field. Nintendo DS has a 256k flash ROM that stores the main menu, PictoChat, and various BIOS functions. It normally isn't field-upgradeable; I'm guessing Nintendo used flash ROM because it was cheaper to do so at the time.

Nowadays, many embedded devices (notably ARM systems) use the same storage device for what would normally be considered "firmware" (bootloader, OS kernel), the rest of the operating system, and user storage. Switch has a 32 GB eMMC for this purpose. (There's also a small boot ROM embedded in the main SoC that's used to load the initial bootstrap from eMMC. On 3DS, this was Boot9 loading FIRM; on Wii, this was boot0 loading boot1, which loaded boot2.)

tl;dr firmware is software, regardless of whether or not it's field-upgradeable, and whether or not it's a user program or a system program. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they're talking about.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +user/sys

vickdu31

Trophies
XP
Country
Security points I noticed when reading dev documents leaked :

- Apps (games) cannot acces SD card or USB storage (Twilight Princess / Brawl entry point)
- No browser, only web applet available inside apps (Wii U / 3DS entry point).
- All save data will be on the internal storage (+cloud ?)

I dont think it would be impossible to see some kind of r4/gateway if the switch sells a lot. But i would not like to see the switch hacked before let's say 2 years. That gives time to motivate third parties to stay on the switch and the OS to be very good.

What I would like to see from hacking :

- Nintendont
- NGC adaptater/ Wii u pro controller support
- Kodi
- PS1/2 emulator!
- F.lux
- A great développement community willing to do a lot of nice stuff !

Last edited by vickdu31,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SDXC cards are confirmed not to be supported in the original firmware, but likely a day one update. (I really don't think it'll happen in April)
My guess is the card themselves will work fine, you just have to format them to FAT32 (they come as exfat). If I had to venture a guess as to why support for them happens later, they're probably just going to add the ability to format any [exfat/fat64] sd card to FAT32 (since they mentioned a 2TB limit of sizes).

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had to venture a guess as to why support for them happens later, they're probably just going to add the ability to format any [exfat/fat64] sd card to FAT32 (since they mentioned a 2TB limit of sizes).
The box has a microSDXC logo. As per SD licensing, that means they have to support exFAT, so it'll be in the day 1 update.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The box has a microSDXC logo. As per SD licensing, that means they have to support exFAT, so it'll be in the day 1 update.
It's been confirmed there is a day one update of some sort thanks to the person that got a switch 2 weeks early. My bet is that it will have SDXC support with that update.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LOL...
You are one of those who assume if the console has a browser it can be hacked right?

The ps4 has themes or will have themes, so hax confirm?

Come on people.. Stop being stupid..
Each console had its own OS, with its own flaws, the switch having a browser or a sound player or wth enabled the hax on the 3ds. doesn't mean it's the same thing as 3ds.
One of the fucking PSP first exploits was a overflow or something like that on the picture viewer, the exploit would be launched through a gif image.
And yet when the ps3 was a thing or the ps4 is here, no one would just say stupid stuff like since you can see pictures on the console, hax is confirmed.
Please stop this stupidity
The Switch does not have a browser
The Switch does not have a photo viewer
The Switch does not have a music player

The Switch's OS seems to be made as bare-bones as possible. I strongly suspect that it was very carefully designed to reduce it's attack footprint to as close to near-zero as possible, along with learning from the mistakes that allowed earlier consoles to be hacked. While it's possible that Nintendo fucked up and left a big opening somewhere, I sincerely think that it's very possible that the Switch may never be hacked, or will only be hacked long after it's successor is launched.

Reactions: DarthDub

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
;o.
The Switch does not have a browser
The Switch does not have a photo viewer
The Switch does not have a music player

The Switch's OS seems to be made as bare-bones as possible. I strongly suspect that it was very carefully designed to reduce it's attack footprint to as close to near-zero as possible, along with learning from the mistakes that allowed earlier consoles to be hacked. While it's possible that Nintendo fucked up and left a big opening somewhere, I sincerely think that it's very possible that the Switch may never be hacked, or will only be hacked long after it's successor is launched.
Technically does have a photo viewer if you count the ability to view your screenshots. But yeah no real photo viewer by most terms.
But I believe you are completely accurate with the fact that Nintendo is going bare-bones in an attempt to have almost no attack vectors. If you don't have anything on the system except the absolute bare-minimum needed to run games, you have far less code that could potentially be flawed. Though even with less and (possibly) simpler code, does not mean it will be perfectly air-tight, just means it is less likely to be exploitable. Nintendo could pull another Nintendo and do something wrong.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you prefer to do this, then why are you spouting nonfactual opinions?
So you don't post for 3 days and that's your best retort? Don't even bother posting if it's gonna be nonsense dribble of "nooooo uuuuu"

Again, I live in the real world with facts and you live in your safe space of a bubble. It's as simple as that.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
So you don't post for 3 days and that's your best retort? Don't even bother posting if it's gonna be nonsense dribble of "nooooo uuuuu"

Again, I live in the real world with facts and you live in your safe space of a bubble. It's as simple as that.
Opinions aren't fact bro.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Stop being pedantic. The distinction between software, os, and firmware is irrelevant. Besides, with Remix's definition technically the Switch has NO software (only OS and games) which would render the entire title moot. But the rest of us all understand the term to be referring to the programmable bits of the Switch experience and so we can actually have a valid discussion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up