Thoughts on the Beatles?

Rolfie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't see a lot of people my age listening to them (I'm in senior high school), I can only think of one person. What do you think? Do you listen to them regularly?
Also fun fact: apparently Kurt Cobain was listening to Meet The Beatles all day and wrote About a Girl for Nirvana's debut Bleach! I'm sure that I'm not the first to hear some similarity lol

Last edited by Rolfie,

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see a lot of people my age listening to them (I'm in senior high school), I can only think of one person. What do you think? Do you listen to them regularly?
Also fun fact: apparently Kurt Cobain was listening to With The Beatles all day and wrote About a Girl for Nirvana's debut Bleach! I'm sure that I'm not the first to hear some similarity lol
I like their music that I've heard, but I've never sat down to listen to an album start to finish

Which one would you recommend if I were to do that?

I like Maxwell's silver hammer, strawberry fields forever, come together, help among others

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tied with my favorite band along with pink Floyd. Got interested in older music with the monkees and the partridge family. Favorite song might be In My Life or Penny Lane. McCartney 's next band, Wings, is also quite good.

Reactions: CoolMe and Rolfie

Rolfie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I like their music that I've heard, but I've never sat down to listen to an album start to finish

Which one would you recommend if I were to do that?

I like Maxwell's silver hammer, strawberry fields forever, come together, help among others
Hmm, I'm not really sure when it comes to just an album, i would try listening to some of their live performances that are out there like the Royal Variety Show and their concert in Washington D.C.
They don't really have the best audio quality but I think the setlists are nice to just go through and listen to. I guess you could always start with Abbey Road though, i don't know if there's any statistic but i usually will hear songs from that album the most

Edit: I just remembered there's also "1967-1970". It's a compilation album, that might be a good place to start too

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I'm not really sure when it comes to just an album, i would try listening to some of their live performances that are out there like the Royal Variety Show and their concert in Washington D.C.
They don't really have the best audio quality but I think the setlists are nice to just go through and listen to. I guess you could always start with Abbey Road though, i don't know if there's any statistic but i usually will hear songs from that album the most
Yeah, two of his favorites are from abbey road.

Reactions: x65943

caipora

cheese eating lactose intolerant
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I find em pretty boring, overestimated.
The White Album and Magical Mistery Tour is pretty good tho

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
1967-1970 is a good sampler.

If you want to listen to an entire album Sgt Peppers makes more sense as an album than individual tracks. Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, and Let it Be (I prefer the “naked” version) are also all great.

The earlier albums are more collections of singles to me (although there are some great individual songs on them).

Reactions: godreborn

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just remembered, my OCD made me merge Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End together with Audacity.

I always felt those three were meant to be one, and it was driving me crazy, so I just had to.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Abbey Road is the beginner album. From there you could go to Let It Be, Revolver, Rubber Soul, Help, Sgt Pepper, Please Please Me & the others.
I wouldn't recommend the White Album, Magical Mystery Tour as an introduction to the band.
And whatever you do stay away from "With the Beatles" album..
Worth mentioning there's no overall consistent sound between all there albums or even between songs, as they tackled with various musical genres, instruments, recording techniques.. Take it slow and enjoy the ride! ;)

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Massively overrated and nowhere near as good as the Stones or The Who. John Lennon did much better work once he went solo. Songs like Attica State and Working Class Hero are fucking awesome.
my favorite of his solo, though somewhat generic is this:

this is what I wish for as well, no barriers (seems to have a slow build up).

Reactions: AmandaRose

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Personally think they're over-rated. As much as he gets slated, I preferred McCartney solo. Same goes for Lennon as well. George Harrisons Cloud Nine album is an unforgivable pile of shit. We'll leave Ringo narrating Thomas The Tank Engine and say no more

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally think they're over-rated. As much as he gets slated, I preferred McCartney solo. Same goes for Lennon as well. George Harrisons Cloud Nine album is an unforgivable pile of shit. We'll leave Ringo narrating Thomas The Tank Engine and say no more
this is a good one from Harrison:

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also fun fact: apparently Kurt Cobain was listening to With The Beatles all day and wrote About a Girl for Nirvana's debut Bleach! I'm sure that I'm not the first to hear some similarity lol
I didn't really try listening to any of their music until a few years back. I do have to admit they did have a very distinct style. If they had mass competition at the time they wouldnt have become as famous as they did, but that is not downplaying their quality.

Reactions: Rolfie

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
In terms of impact on popular music, as crazy as it seems it would be hard for them to be overrated. Modern pop and Rock music wouldn’t exist the way it does today (Chuck Berry is probably next closest in terms of pure musical impact).

The Beatles are the most covered band by far, they basically created stadium tours and the types of following major bands have now. They had a huge impact on popular culture and fashion that is hard for anyone not alive during the British Invasion to fully understand. Ringo despite being the butt of many Beatles jokes basically invented a major style of drumming. Other bands were experimenting in the studio, but the Beatles did it in a way that had a much larger audience. Even from a business perspective, they took control over their own creative output in ways other bands had not done prior.

I’d say I like the Rolling Stones more, but the Stones would not be the Stones without the Beatles. Lennon and McCartney as individual artists they became wouldn’t exist without the Beatles.

They aren’t my favorite band, but I think they are by far the most influential band in modern music. McCartney is also the best modern songwriter (no disrespect to Lennon and Harrison who I also think were amazing songwriters).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as much as I'm tied with the beatles and pink floyd, I think pink floyd takes the cake for me. here's a good one, though they were influenced by the Beatles as well:

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :ohnoes: @NoiseCommander3DS Would you please turn down that noise. I haven't had my COFFEE yet... +1