Third Party Pro Controller is also WiiMote & Classic Controller

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by EnigmaXtreme, Dec 14, 2012.

1. EnigmaXtreme
    OP

EnigmaXtreme GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 1, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    I just bought this from EBGames

https://www.ebgames.com.au/wiiu-159832-Pro-Controller-U-for-Wii-U--Retro-Grey-Wii-U

and its safe to say that its AWESOME! First off not only do we finally have a proper Wireless classic controller for the Wii but its also a WiiMote, I tried it with games like Other M and Donkey Kong Country Returns and they do work

The ONLY downside is it doesn't replicate the Nunchuk as well....maybe we could hack something 8shrugs*

2. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Wow.....great find !
    I'm so itching to get a Pro controller because I like the form factor but I don't have a Wii U !
    This seems to fit the bill quite nicely.

Too bad it doesn't act as a nunchuk as well, it has the necessary left analog and shoulder buttons , but maybe by doing that it would be too complicated to manage the wii remote and nunchuck Motion Controls.
    Cheers

3. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    Here is a review I just read for the original wii u pro controller , let me know if its accurate please.
    Issue 1 Cant charge Controller while system is off using WII U USB Ports Issue 2 Not all games actually support the Controller Issue 3 Syncing the controller with the Wii U can become fustrating as it doesnt allow it to Sync while the Gamepad is being used

4. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    I am more or less concerned with number 3

5. libertyernie

libertyernie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2011
    United States
    Does anyone know what the button mappings for this controller are in Wii Remote mode? I think I might get one of these when they come out in the U.S., because I have a lot of "sideways Wiimote" games.

6. YoshiKart

YoshiKart GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    From what I heard (I forgot what I googled and searched through), the classic control is as it is, and Wiimote mode makes Y = 1 and X = 2. A and B are the same. Not sure how the dpad is oriented though, or how IR works.

7. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    I got the controller, here are the specs;

-There are two switches on the back of the controller.
    -One changes the orientation of the Wii Remote between vertical and horizontal.
    -The D-Pad varies in orientation depending on the setting.
    -The other changes the controller between a Classic Controller and a Wii Remote.
    -A and B are the same.
    -Y and X are 1 and 2, respectively.
    -Start and Select also work as + and - respectively.
    -No Nunchuk support whatsoever.
    -The Analog Sticks can be used instead of the D-Pad in most cases.
    -The IR works just as it would on a Wii Remote, but you're holding it sideways.
    -The Batteries are rechargeable via USB connection.
    HOWEVER
    -While this controller claims to work as a Wii U Pro Controller, it does not.
    -If a Wii U game supports Classic Controllers, it will work pretty much the same as a Pro Controller would.

Example:

-At best, playing NSMBWii with this controller feels very awkward with an awkward control scheme.
    HOWEVER
    -Playing SMAS 25th Anniversary with the Classic Controller setting is practically a perfect recreation of the SNES experience.

8. libertyernie

libertyernie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2011
    United States
    Y=1 and X=2? Well, I guess I can live with that - picked up an SNES controller close by and it felt fine. No worse than B/A. And it's good to hear you can change D-pad orientation, too.
    Has anyone tested this with a game that uses motion controls, like Wario Land?

9. Cell247

Cell247 Prickly Goomba

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2008
    United States
    ATX
    Need to find one of these. :lol:

10. momocop

momocop Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2010
    United States
    I've heard of these! I plan on buying one within the next week or two and see how they are. Otherwise i might stick with the new Pro Controller.