Third Party Pro Controller is also WiiMote & Classic Controller

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by EnigmaXtreme, Dec 14, 2012.

Dec 14, 2012

EnigmaXtreme New Member

Message Count:
    Australia
    I just bought this from EBGames

https://www.ebgames.com.au/wiiu-159832-Pro-Controller-U-for-Wii-U--Retro-Grey-Wii-U

and its safe to say that its AWESOME! First off not only do we finally have a proper Wireless classic controller for the Wii but its also a WiiMote, I tried it with games like Other M and Donkey Kong Country Returns and they do work

The ONLY downside is it doesn't replicate the Nunchuk as well....maybe we could hack something 8shrugs*

Arm73 New Member

Message Count:
    Italy
    Wow.....great find !
    I'm so itching to get a Pro controller because I like the form factor but I don't have a Wii U !
    This seems to fit the bill quite nicely.

Too bad it doesn't act as a nunchuk as well, it has the necessary left analog and shoulder buttons , but maybe by doing that it would be too complicated to manage the wii remote and nunchuck Motion Controls.
    Cheers

air2004 Air

Message Count:
    United States
    Here is a review I just read for the original wii u pro controller , let me know if its accurate please.
    Issue 1 Cant charge Controller while system is off using WII U USB Ports Issue 2 Not all games actually support the Controller Issue 3 Syncing the controller with the Wii U can become fustrating as it doesnt allow it to Sync while the Gamepad is being used

air2004 Air

Message Count:
    United States
    I am more or less concerned with number 3
    • Newcomer

libertyernie New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Does anyone know what the button mappings for this controller are in Wii Remote mode? I think I might get one of these when they come out in the U.S., because I have a lot of "sideways Wiimote" games.

YoshiKart New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    From what I heard (I forgot what I googled and searched through), the classic control is as it is, and Wiimote mode makes Y = 1 and X = 2. A and B are the same. Not sure how the dpad is oriented though, or how IR works.

mariofanatic64 New Member since 2009

Message Count:
    Australia
    I got the controller, here are the specs;

-There are two switches on the back of the controller.
    -One changes the orientation of the Wii Remote between vertical and horizontal.
    -The D-Pad varies in orientation depending on the setting.
    -The other changes the controller between a Classic Controller and a Wii Remote.
    -A and B are the same.
    -Y and X are 1 and 2, respectively.
    -Start and Select also work as + and - respectively.
    -No Nunchuk support whatsoever.
    -The Analog Sticks can be used instead of the D-Pad in most cases.
    -The IR works just as it would on a Wii Remote, but you're holding it sideways.
    -The Batteries are rechargeable via USB connection.
    HOWEVER
    -While this controller claims to work as a Wii U Pro Controller, it does not.
    -If a Wii U game supports Classic Controllers, it will work pretty much the same as a Pro Controller would.

Example:

-At best, playing NSMBWii with this controller feels very awkward with an awkward control scheme.
    HOWEVER
    -Playing SMAS 25th Anniversary with the Classic Controller setting is practically a perfect recreation of the SNES experience.
    Last edited by mariofanatic64, Dec 21, 2012
    • Newcomer

libertyernie New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Y=1 and X=2? Well, I guess I can live with that - picked up an SNES controller close by and it felt fine. No worse than B/A. And it's good to hear you can change D-pad orientation, too.
    Has anyone tested this with a game that uses motion controls, like Wario Land?
    • Newcomer

Cell247 Prickly Goomba

Message Count:
    United States
    Need to find one of these. :lol:
    Last edited by Cell247, Dec 27, 2012
    • Newcomer

momocop New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I've heard of these! I plan on buying one within the next week or two and see how they are. Otherwise i might stick with the new Pro Controller.

SPONSORED LINKS