There's an inconsistency in Firefox

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've heard about that, but it's still using 1 process for me. Maybe I disabled the feature and forgot about it.
Preferences → General
Under "Performance", untick "Use recommended performance settings", then set "Content process limit" to whatever you like.
I'm not sure what this does exactly, though.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It started with 54. Mne is using multiple processes.

I've never really paid much attention to how much memory each browser uses. I just stick with firefox because I have it the way I like it and am too lazy to change. Have 16GB ram so not really bothered if firefox wants to munch some.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Preferences → General
Under "Performance", untick "Use recommended performance settings", then set "Content process limit" to whatever you like.
I'm not sure what this does exactly, though.
I don't see Performance anywhere.
Might be because I'm not on the latest version.
It started with 54. Mne is using multiple processes.

I've never really paid much attention to how much memory each browser uses. I just stick with firefox because I have it the way I like it and am too lazy to change. Have 16GB ram so not really bothered if firefox wants to munch some.
Hmm, I'm on 54.0.1...

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what your definition of casual browsing is but I have over 400 tabs open in Firefox right now :P
Granted that's because I haven't cleaned them out in ages, but I always have around 100 tabs minimum.
must be dat 64gb ddr4 and a ssd page file.... and a 8 core xeon..

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Well, I open new tabs all the time and rarely close old ones :P
Most of the time I only use the last 50 or so. But there are a lot of tabs I keep open for later viewing so I don't forget about them.

I do that, but once i hit 15 to 20+ tabs and can't read the title of the tab i get annoyed and start closing the ones i don't need lol. I add stuff to a folder in my bookmarks to read later as it might be quite a while before i get around to it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I do that, but once i hit 15 to 20+ tabs and can't read the title of the tab i get annoyed and start closing the ones i don't need lol. I add stuff to a folder in my bookmarks to read later as it might be quite a while before i get around to it.
Chrome is worse. The tabs in Chrome just keep getting smaller until not even the icon is displayed :P
I add stuff to my bookmarks too, if I'm not planning on checking them in the near future.
must be dat 64gb ddr4 and a ssd page file.... and a 8 core xeon..
Nah, just a laptop with 16 GB RAM and a quad core i7. But I did the same thing on my desktop with only 6 GB RAM. Only ran out of RAM when I was trying to play a game with Firefox in the background. With Chrome on my desktop I ran out of RAM a lot faster.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Reactions: cearp

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Firefox doesn't save tabs on exit by default, I installed a session manager that always saves my tabs but even that fails sometimes when I have too many tabs open.
You don't need an extension to recover your last session. Just go to "History" and select "Restore Previous Session."

Last edited by nastys,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Why? Even if you accidentally disabled that warning you could always restore your last session.
Ok, just a little joke. :)
Many times I have closed the restore page, thankfully typing in about:sessionrestore (or whatever it is) manually usually gets it back.

Reactions: nastys

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok, just a little joke. :)
Many times I have closed the restore page, thankfully typing in about:sessionrestore (or whatever it is) manually usually gets it back.
You could just right click on any tab and select "Undo Close Tab."

D

Deleted User

For whatever reason I've never really had any memory leakage issues with Firefox on my own computers (from what I can remember), although I'm pretty sure I have on school laptops. I think I also had memory leakage issues on my mom's Vista laptop back when.
I can understand why the memory leakage problem could push people away from using Firefox though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again