There's a new system update for the Wii U for version 5.5.5U

71oHatSEvBL._SL1500_.jpg

Are you ready for a system software update? No, not for the Nintendo Switch, but the Wii U! It's been quite a while since we've seen one of these--the last update was issued in September of 2018, in fact. A brand new firmware update is available for the console, bringing it to version number 5.5.5. The official changelog is helpful as usual, giving us that magical sentence we can always expect from Nintendo. Keep an eye on this thread and hopefully we'll find out what exactly this update actually brings to the table.

Improvements to system stability and usability
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

:arrow: Source

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can have perfect vWii output by changing the resolution to 480p, hence avoiding the bad internal upscaler, and letting your TV or something else upscale it for you.

Sure it's annoying to switch resolution all the time if you play both Wii and Wii U games, but a workable solution nonetheless.

I've tried every combination of video mode and aspect ratio, and they all seem sub-par to me, with chroma shift and some kind of antialiasing deflicker filter for Wii games (though the latter can be disabled for GameCube games in Nintendont).

I've just ordered a component cable to see if it looks better over that.

Tur7L3

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

You can have perfect vWii output by changing the resolution to 480p, hence avoiding the bad internal upscaler, and letting your TV or something else upscale it for you.

Sure it's annoying to switch resolution all the time if you play both Wii and Wii U games, but a workable solution nonetheless.
Heard there is a Wii homebrew program that leaves it at 480p when you enter vWii mode but eh never got into it, I kinda like how it looks, however it would be better if Nintendo got around running them at 720p and then upscalling, like most Wii U games.

vdwjeremy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Heard there is a Wii homebrew program that leaves it at 480p when you enter vWii mode but eh never got into it, I kinda like how it looks, however it would be better if Nintendo got around running them at 720p and then upscalling, like most Wii U games.
Which one is it ?

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Heard about this earlier today, ofw here but with games installed via wud installer on external, I haven’t used my WiiU in a couple of days, been playing on Switch/3DS/PS4 but I plan on playing on it again soon, is there any risk to update or should I just try to block the update?

Tur7L3

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Which one is it ?
I can't remember right now, but if you search for vWii's resolution discutions you'll find it in a gbatemp thread in less than 5 mins.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Heard about this earlier today, ofw here but with games installed via wud installer on external, I haven’t used my WiiU in a couple of days, been playing on Switch/3DS/PS4 but I plan on playing on it again soon, is there any risk to update or should I just try to block the update?

Go ahead, no risks or exploits ruined. Probably just preparing its way to shut down the ability of uploading levels to Mario Maker 1

VanillaDome

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I feel weird being one of the two people still playing the Wii U. And yes, kinda worried to see what this can do to Haxchi, but in the worst case it's just that I can't play mario kart with my sis online anymore.
For those who might want to install cfw in the future, that might be a big problem.
I am also one of the two people that still play the Wii U. The only downsides in my opinion are the chonky Gamepad and the slow loading times, but the emulation is epic.

I can't remember right now, but if you search for vWii's resolution discutions you'll find it in a gbatemp thread in less than 5 mins.

Go ahead, no risks or exploits ruined. Probably just preparing its way to shut down the ability of uploading levels to Mario Maker 1
I just homebrewed my Wii U with Mocha Indexiine after 5.5.5 was released and everything is working perfectly.

Reactions: Kopimist and Ruryk

wiindsurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I've tried every combination of video mode and aspect ratio, and they all seem sub-par to me, with chroma shift and some kind of antialiasing deflicker filter for Wii games (though the latter can be disabled for GameCube games in Nintendont).

I've just ordered a component cable to see if it looks better over that.

What's doing the upscaling for you? Most TVs are not very good at it either.

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's doing the upscaling for you? Most TVs are not very good at it either.

My TV is fine at upscaling 480p, it resolves all resolution on SMPTE RP133.
It is not good at 480i though as it has some filtering in the vertical direction.
It doesn't allow disabling of overscan in SD/ED modes, which hurts the resolution a bit.
I get the best result visually with WiiU upscaling to 1080p and TV's overscan off.
My TV also has some extra processing unique to 1080p which seems to improve sharpness and colour accuracy.
Relevant thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/fixing-vwii-mode.573265/

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I believe Wii U just mimics the old Wii 480p output, exactly as it was.

480p graphics are sadly going to look bad on HD/4k screen no matter what.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Danggg now the Wii U entering the stability race as well? :creep:
Someday consoles will be so stable therapists will hate them!
Nah they still need therapy for proper dust removal
In other news Nintendo is working on a $200 dust removal kit specifically for Wii/WiiU kits buy now before bots and scalpers get ahold of them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, I've never seen you in a while. How's that game getting on?
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Unity is a asshole and I want to set it on fire
    +1
    and C++
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.