There are only two genders. Change my mind.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
We have Sex - Female or Male (sometimes both)
We have gender - agreed upon/common sexuality example gay, bi, straight etc.
Then we have "Tumblr genders" - Made up stupidity with genders of everything between heaven and earth. Generally causing more harm than good.

Also there are gender roles, but this is a different discussion.

D

Deleted User

There are many genders according to tumblr
According to Eix there are 3
Correct
Incorrect
Dakimakura

But there are also 4 sexes
Male
Female
Hermaphrodite
Sexless

You can change your physical sex with surgery
You can change your gender by changing your mind
You can change your genetic sex with lasers and radiation

My gender is Dakimakura
My sex is male
Mt genetics are mostly male except that one part that can't be read

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Gender is a complicated issue. As for myself, I just consider that a lot of people just exclusively assimilate to a "male" or "female" one. But then there's all the rest of the people, with a non-binary gender who cannot just do that. Gender is personal, it's something that each individual can feel differently, and to me it's useless to create categories that nobody will understand, as each person on the planet who does not fall under the "male" or "female" categories has different feelings, a different life, a different approach. We could say there is an infinite amount of genders, but that's just pointless to try to define something as obscure.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If someone wants to identify as what they want I say let them. But if you start freaking out because somebody doesn't recognize your really obscure identity or use your preferred pronouns that's a different matter. If you want to identify as male or female or prefer neither I'm not bothered as long as you're not obnoxious about it. I don't respect the ridiculous shit SJWs come up with though where it sounds like they just came up with something random on the spot. Apparently kindergender is a thing now (literally just means pedophile) according to some Tumblr account. It's made up gender identities like that which I have a problem with. Though that one may have been a joke.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,
Reactions: tbb043 and 3DSPoet

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying that everyone on Tumblr is like that. All I'm saying is that those people are way too loud. If you never heard of non-binary, that is probably the first thing you will find when doing your research.
I have heard of the non-binary orientation and I'm in full support of it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

We have Sex - Female or Male (sometimes both)
We have gender - agreed upon/common sexuality example gay, bi, straight etc.
Then we have "Tumblr genders" - Made up stupidity with genders of everything between heaven and earth. Generally causing more harm than good.

Also there are gender roles, but this is a different discussion.
Now hang on, you're confusing gender with sexuality. Gender roles are closer to falling under the umbrella of gender than sexuality is

I hate to say this, but you have a terminology problem.
Hell, stop basing everything on "anecdote" or "feeling".
Define what and in which context means "sex" and "gender", citing respectable sources.
Use the same language people.

PS: Of course gender and sex are not the same word, and don't have the same meaning. They are related though. What about being explicit about the difference? Like one being related to culture, role and behavior, and the other to biology?

People suck at language...
https://othersociologist.com/sociology-of-gender/
Give that a read if you're genuinely interested

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I have heard of the non-binary orientation and I'm in full support of it

Now hang on, you're confusing gender with sexuality. Gender roles are closer to falling under the umbrella of gender than sexuality is

Yes, of course. The "problem" that I'm talking about is when someone doesn't know what non-binary is. That person will try to look it up and one of the first things they see is a Tumblr blog "explaining" hundreds of genders. You can see the issue that might arise from that, right?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant "human life".
Where do you get that idea from? You could probably justify that with WWII SS experimentation, but if we're being realistic everyone they used for testing was going to die in the concentration camps anyway (not saying either was any less horrible or significant than it was, but objectively there it was Nazis, rather than science, that destroyed lives)

Yes, of course. The "problem" that I'm talking about is when someone doesn't know what non-binary is. That person will try to look it up and one of the first things they see is a Tumblr blog "explaining" hundreds of genders. You can see the issue that might arise from that, right?
Just doing a quick Google search, I don't get anything Tumblr related, and I actually got what would be a pretty useful resource to someone curious: https://www.healthline.com/health/transgender/nonbinary

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Where do you get that idea from? You could probably justify that with WWII SS experimentation, but if we're being realistic everyone they used for testing was going to die in the concentration camps anyway (not saying either was any less horrible or significant than it was, but objectively there it was Nazis, rather than science, that destroyed lives)

Just doing a quick Google search, I don't get anything Tumblr related, and I actually got what would be a pretty useful resource to someone curious: https://www.healthline.com/health/transgender/nonbinary

I just tried. It took me 8 pages of search results to find a Tumblr link.

I remember looking it up about a year ago and the first 2 pages were full of Tumblr stuff. Good thing that changed.

I apologize for not testing the current situation before posting. Yeah, you can just ignore everything I said. I was wrong.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried. It took me 8 pages of search results to find a Tumblr link.

I remember looking it up about a year ago and the first 2 pages were full of Tumblr stuff. Good thing that changed.

I apologize for not testing the current situation before posting. Yeah, you can just ignore everything I said. I was wrong.
No problem, glad it could be a learning experience

Yeah, I think most people's perceptions of Tumblr are tainted by when it was riddled with Superwholock fandom people. In my experience, anyway, that's no longer the case; it's mostly liberal bloggers looking for an outlet, artists, and memesters now, with the occasional "toxic feminist" bloggers still being a thing, but not nearly as common

There are 2 genders....

Male

Female

That simple... really people.
Read back through the first and last few pages (I'd say three from each side) to get an idea of the discussion before jumping in at this point, because otherwise people from both sides will end up repeating each other again (for like the 10th time probably lol)

Reactions: MrMcTiller
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should we really be having these kind of complex discussions on a forum filled with morons, shitposters, trolls, edgelords, tin foil hat conspiracy theorists, and a minority of console hacking/modding enthusiasts?

Like what's next, are we gonna have posts about whether or not Palestine is the capital of Israel or something?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should we really be having these kind of complex discussions on a forum filled with morons, shitposters, trolls, edgelords, tin foil hat conspiracy theorists, and a minority of console hacking/modding enthusiasts?
Eh, I'd say the first group is a very vocal minority. Doesn't change the issue overall, but I wouldn't say the majority of the site fall into one of those categories all the same

D

Deleted User

What defines what you were born as? Only your body? If so, that's a very narrow point of view.
If you are born with a penis your a man by defult,no matter what sex you prefer.Same with a woman,your born with a vagina then your a woman by defult,your sexual preferences dont matter but you cant change your own history.If your born with both,then idk what you are,but thats the only way i could see someone go either way.

Reactions: DarthDub

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
If you are born with a penis your a man by defult,no matter what sex you prefer.Same with a woman,your born with a vagina then your a woman by defult,your sexual preferences dont matter but you cant change your own history.If your born with both,then idk what you are,but thats the only way i could see someone go either way.

Some people actually go through a surgery to change their sex, though. You stated that this is artificial. Well, technically... if a man has a sex change and turns into a woman, I can agree that it's an "artificial" change. But so what? Why does it matter? She's a woman now.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if someone changes that through surgery and hormone replacement, or dresses in a way that makes them indistinguishable from the opposite sex, or dresses androgynously?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Liberals don't like logic. They go by feeling. They say science is their god, but when confronted with facts and not the junk science they rely on they then turn on science. Tolerance is a common phrase, but they only tolerate people who believe in what they believe. Anyone else is a bigot (that's the best they can do is repeat the same offensive attack over and over again). Liberals have had control of our classrooms for 20 years so it's no wonder kids are confused about simple things such as male/female. Do these kids ever look into who is writing their text books or do they just blindly follow without asking questions?
A few notes:

- liberal means someone who wishes to push for social changes and to improve the quality of life for everyone. Conservative means to make sure things make financial sense to tax-payers and to not sell the cow for want of milk. (edit: as far as this conversation is concerned) You could be both, or bits and pieces of both. Bringing in money while improving the quality of life for everyone is a win-win for any political persuasion...but rarely gets reported that way. Because power and all that. How we got where we are today is pretty weird, considering conservatives in charge today are not very conservative, and liberals are struggling to even keep the social changes and progress we were able to accrue over the past 80 years. Somehow "conservative" got turned from those who balancing the checkbook into those anti-science anti-consumer religious zealots, and "liberals" got turned into struggling to agree on what quality of life for everyone looks like. All of this baggage on the words are a problem created by talking heads and those in power. Ignore the labels and just focus on what they actually do.

- liberals have not had control over our classroom. We're just now getting out from no-child-left-behind, and the massive hole that placed into our education. That and education keeps getting funded less and less every year. Fairly obvious the government keeps trying to bankrupt it, then eventually point to its failure as "inevitable" (same with the post office). Or as an excuse to create more slush funds they can raid. Unless you're talking about the pro-science agenda of the Kennedy era, which yeah. the "liberal agenda" of teaching better science has been getting better.

-Most of those text books are written in the very conservative state of texas, and the textbooks are geared to that audience. Texas buys first and it buys the most, so text-book makers focus on that market and ship the same to the rest of the country. And the one county that buys first is very conservative, so they tend to vote for those versions first and foremost. I remember they caught flak a few years ago because they kept trying to make slavery not-so-bad, only wanting to approve versions that removed large chunks of the bad stuff. and that caused an uproar. And they keep trying to plop religious dogma in the science books (creationism) in various parts of the country. So yeah, fighting against ignorance on that front too.

Us normal folk have to fight against silly labels like conservative or liberal and just focus on what's going to maximize everyone's quality of life while minimizing cost to everyone. I tend to fall more on the left side, "maximize quality of life for everyone" over minimizing cost, so I think i'm classified as "liberal". This is a rough explanation, and there are other labels that are more specific, but clear enough to dissuade

Last edited by osaka35,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya