Gaming The Worst Wii U Games

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic Boom aside, Sonic's four most recent games have had fine programming. Sonic Unleashed (albeit the frame rate issues), Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, and Sonic Lost World all worked fine on a technical level.

I'm not really frustrated at you in particular, but it's annoying how people hold to this 8-year outdated idea that Sonic games are buggy and broken, when that hasn't really been the case since Sonic 06. Two of the three exceptions since then were spinoffs with experimental motion controls (Secret Rings, Black Knight), and the third was a spinoff by a completely different developer (Sonic Boom). Either way though, we haven't had a single broken mainline Sonic game since Sonic 06.
Depends I hear unleashed on ps2 and Wii actually had a good fps

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Depends I hear unleashed on ps2 and Wii actually had a good fps
I've only played Unleashed on 360, so I wouldn't know.

Either way, the PS2 and Wii versions has features stripped down compared to the 360/PS3 versions, so I wouldn't count the FPS as a major plus for those.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I've only played Unleashed on 360, so I wouldn't know.

Either way, the PS2 and Wii versions has features stripped down compared to the 360/PS3 versions, so I wouldn't count the FPS as a major plus for those.

Yeah, they're vastly different games. Sonic games made with Sonic Team's in-house Hedgehog Engine have also been very good on a technical level. This includes Sonic Unleashed (PS3 / Xbox 360 version), Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost World. I wouldn't say that all recent mainline Sonic games have been good technically, e.g. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I/II for any platform has very primitive physics compared to other modern Sonic games. Those games were also developed by Sonic Team (and partially Dimps).

There's a rumor out there that 2015 will bring us a multiplatform Sonic title for PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U. I'm not 100% sure, but it's being developed by Sonic Team and presumably uses the Hedgehog Engine for graphics and Havok for physics. It can be a hit like Sonic Generations, but little is known about it.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, they're vastly different games. Sonic games made with Sonic Team's in-house Hedgehog Engine have also been very good on a technical level. This includes Sonic Unleashed (PS3 / Xbox 360 version), Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost World. I wouldn't say that all recent mainline Sonic games have been good technically, e.g. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I/II for any platform has very primitive physics compared to other modern Sonic games. Those games were also developed by Sonic Team (and partially Dimps).

There's a rumor out there that 2015 will bring us a multiplatform Sonic title for PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U. I'm not 100% sure, but it's being developed by Sonic Team and presumably uses the Hedgehog Engine for graphics and Havok for physics. It can be a hit like Sonic Generations, but little is known about it.
I thought Sonic Lost World used a different engine entirely?

Anyway i completely forgot about Sonic 4... I was thinking more of major AAA Sonic releases. Sonic 4 doesn't fit that bill, imo. It's a small downloadable game.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Sonic 4 on iOS/Android feels actually fast and like a proper 2D Sonic game should be like whereas the home console versions were slow-down and not quite as good.
Sonic 4 to me felt like a copypasta of the same classic Sonic we've seen over and over again, with inferior physics, and 3D elements (like the homing attack) shoehorned in for no good reason. I quit after the first zone.

And i don't know... Sonic Unleashed, Colors, and Generations running segments at least feel WAY faster than any classic Sonic game. Classic Sonic games aren't about speed as much as people seem to remember.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Sonic 4 on iOS/Android feels actually fast and like a proper 2D Sonic game should be like whereas the home console versions were slow-down and not quite as good.

Not so much the feeling of it being fast (since any hardcore fan should know that Sonic is actually slow in games). E.g. try running and then letting go of the thumb stick, Sonic will do a full stop as though the game lacked inertia completely. Things like that, which to me make it unenjoyable to play.

Just like xwatchmanx said however, it's a downloadable game only (thankfully) so it's not really part of the mainline, even though it's not a spin off either.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait...I recently got ZombiU but havent ran it yet. Is it really that bad?
Some say its pretty good :o
Depends..

Do you like survival games?

Do you like games that experiment and use the gamepad in interesting ways?

Do you like the fact its gameplay is different from typical zombie game?

If you answered yes then you'll like it

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I've heard mixed opinions myself. I've heard some say it's the best showcase of the gamepad, albeit with a small budget, and others say it's completely awful.

It's a love it or hate it kind of game. I think that's the best way to put it. Not the best in its genre, but not the worst either. If you're into survival horror, zombies, etc. you'll likely enjoy ZombiU, but after a few times of playing it grows old very quickly. That's when you realize it's very average and not memorable. Kind of generic for a game and coming from Ubisoft, that's not surprising.

And i don't know... Sonic Unleashed, Colors, and Generations running segments at least feel WAY faster than any classic Sonic game. Classic Sonic games aren't about speed as much as people seem to remember.
Oh, yes they are. Especially Classic Sonic in Generations is much, much faster than the actual classic Sonic in the Genesis games. Compare these two speedruns (don't mind the completion time since the levels are a different length):

(There's a nice bonus at the end of the second video, reminding us that a Sonic game doesn't have to be completely garbage like Sonic Boom to be full of bugs. Haha)

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Not so much the feeling of it being fast (since any hardcore fan should know that Sonic is actually slow in games). E.g. try running and then letting go of the thumb stick, Sonic will do a full stop as though the game lacked inertia completely. Things like that, which to me make it unenjoyable to play.

Just like xwatchmanx said however, it's a downloadable game only (thankfully) so it's not really part of the mainline, even though it's not a spin off either.
Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic CD, Sonic Colours and Sonic Gens all feel and look like fast Sonic games so they're not all slow, although it's good that they are so the player can appreciate the background too.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic CD, Sonic Colours and Sonic Gens all feel and look like fast Sonic games so they're not all slow, although it's good that they are so the player can appreciate the background too.

No, the classic Sonic games really play slow. In fact, Sonic is on par with Mario when it comes to speed. Do NES Mario games feel fast to you? If you speedrun, then yes. Normal gameplay? It's slow.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, the classic Sonic games really play slow. In fact, Sonic is on par with Mario when it comes to speed. Do NES Mario games feel fast to you? If you speedrun, then yes. Normal gameplay? It's slow.
Another thing is that as game engines and consoles get more power the faster they can run and this make older games feel slower (such as in say sonic 2 vs rush).

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying classic Sonic is slow, just that it's not as fast as people say, and definitely not as fast as most modern Sonic games like Unleashed and Generations.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying classic Sonic is slow, just that it's not as fast as people say, and definitely not as fast as most modern Sonic games like Unleashed and Generations.
Or even other games in the series like the advance and rush games (or even certain areas of sa1,sa2 or heros)

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
We're finally getting to the interesting bit of this (off topic) discussion: the perception vs. reality of speed in Sonic games. Sega likes to tout Sonic as being ultra fast and this is depicted in a lot of Sonic related media, especially the TV shows. However in the games, perhaps due to technical limitations, Sonic isn't actually that fast. He is still fast, but only as fast as an Italian plumber when running. The human mind may play some tricks on us when we remember the good old times as well, which is why to most people Sonic always felt fast when in fact he wasn't fast.

If you played the first Sonic game today you'd see just how slow Sonic actually is vs. current games. But just like the speedrun video above demonstrates, even in an excellent game like Sonic Generations, there's the difficulty of controlling Sonic from getting out of bounds. When we get to very fast gameplay, developers have an insane challenge making sure things stay put and don't clip out. It's why none of the recent Sonic games have been that fast (e.g. Sonic Lost World, Sonic Boom), because it's a very ambitious goal to meet the fans' expectations. That's why we'll be stuck with a slow Sonic for the most part.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're finally getting to the interesting bit of this (off topic) discussion: the perception vs. reality of speed in Sonic games. Sega likes to tout Sonic as being ultra fast and this is depicted in a lot of Sonic related media, especially the TV shows. However in the games, perhaps due to technical limitations, Sonic isn't actually that fast. He is still fast, but only as fast as an Italian plumber when running. The human mind may play some tricks on us when we remember the good old times as well, which is why to most people Sonic always felt fast when in fact he wasn't fast.

If you played the first Sonic game today you'd see just how slow Sonic actually is vs. current games. But just like the speedrun video above demonstrates, even in an excellent game like Sonic Generations, there's the difficulty of controlling Sonic from getting out of bounds. When we get to very fast gameplay, developers have an insane challenge making sure things stay put and don't clip out. It's why none of the recent Sonic games have been that fast (e.g. Sonic Lost World, Sonic Boom), because it's a very ambitious goal to meet the fans' expectations. That's why we'll be stuck with a slow Sonic for the most part.
Also a slower sonic games isnt bad as it is easier to do right than high speed play considering the mechanics

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro