Gaming The Story of WiiSave.com (And the future of the Wii)

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
OP
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone remember the site known as WiiSave.com? It was a cool little site where you could download save files for Wii games that other people shared there. 4 years ago (wow)!, in early 2015, it went down. I did a few whois requests to it, and I was expecting it to be back when the domain (on Namecheap) was renewed on April 29, 2015 (the site was registered in 2006!)

When that day arrived, I noticed that the domain was showing up like it was a parked domain, but it said it was purchased. Anyway, I found the guy who owned the site (Brandon) owned the site JuiceRecipes.com and soon-to-be-launched SmoothieRecipes.com. I sent an email regarding it, and I got an assuring response:

Hey,

Yeah, I'm the owner of WiiSave as well.

Basically, we've been unable to keep the web server it was using up to date with the latest security updates because of the ancient bit of encrypted php code it used. So after years if it sitting there, it finally got hacked and my web host got mad because it was being used as a spam email server at that point, so they gave me all my data and shut down the server.

So our current plan is to get it back up and running on a separate server with the updates it needed, but it's definitely a little bit of a challenge. It's not dead, just down at the moment until we can figure this all out. I know there's a good amount of people like you who are looking forward to it rising up again, so it's heavy on our minds. Once I get a big project out the door, I plan to begin work on it and see how we can tackle this thing.

Brandon

I tried to send other emails later, none of which gave a response. 4 years have passed (that's crazy!), and I'm worried about it ever coming back up. The other day, I sent another message on Juice Recipes.com. No response, I tried to contact him again just now on SmootheRecipes.com. I can't guarantee that I'll get a response.

Does anyone have any ideas? Would anyone just give up at this point? I can't believe this was 4 years ago when this was discussed. The creator of SaveGame Manager GX, @dj_skual was worried about it because his app let you download from that site, and people like @gamecaptor and @cvskid chimed in, I remember.

Maybe he could give the site data to someone who has time to work on it? GameFAQs has save files too, but not like the amount that WiiSave had. There's also save files posted on forums, sites, etc. that are scattered across the Internet that may or may not have a working download link. WiiSave started in 2006, and there's a lot of history from that! I was really excited to see it come up around that time in 2015, I could feel it being close to summer (it was around this time of year) and fresh sunshine, and the feeling of it coming back. That day still hasn't came.

Let's hope that WiiSave comes up in the future, or someone can make a GBATemp thread or a much more modern site for it. I've held onto my Wii ever since it released in 2006, it has been something important to me when growing up. The Wii must live on, even though more modern consoles exist.

Anyway, you get my point. You can still download a few of the saves that were on that site from archive.org. I hope someone is able to contact Brandon about WiiSave. Of course, people can just play games normally and not cheat their way through it, but I'm sure that there's some uses for completed save files.

There are still great projects that are still active.

A bit off-topic but I want to talk about GameTDB. It has covers and game information for lots of consoles. It started with the Wii, and there's even a Switch database now. Notably for Wii, USB loaders still download stuff from that site, and it'd be interesting to see someone make use of the database we're building for the Switch. It's been a fun project that I've been enjoying doing.

Even though I haven't been mostly known for working on that site, I have added tens of thousands of covers to that site. The admin, Lustar, is a really great guy, and we've been working together on the site for over 5 and a half years. It's one of those projects that we can ensure will live for years to come. Improvements to the site have happened, such as SSL support and now a new dark mode.

I want to ensure that the Wii is a console that's not forgotten about, and still cool. I've made a lot of friends that still love the Wii. I've worked on RiiConnect24, GameTDB, guides, resources, documentation on the Wii's history, preserving Wii games, pretty much caring about ANYTHING you can think of other than games.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Larsenv,
D

Deleted_413010

Does anyone remember the site known as WiiSave.com? It was a cool little site where you could download save files for Wii games that other people shared there. 4 years ago (wow)!, in early 2015, it went down. I did a few whois requests to it, and I was expecting it to be back when the domain (on Namecheap) was renewed on April 29, 2015 (the site was registered in 2006!)

When that day arrived, I noticed that the domain was showing up like it was a parked domain, but it said it was purchased. Anyway, I found the guy who owned the site (Brandon Jurewicz) owned the site JuiceRecipes.com and soon-to-be-launched SmoothieRecipes.com. I sent an email regarding it, and I got an assuring response:

I tried to send other emails later, none of which gave a response. 4 years have passed (that's crazy!), and I'm worried about it ever coming back up. The other day, I sent another message on Juice Recipes.com. No response, I tried to contact him again just now on SmootheRecipes.com. I can't guarantee that I'll get a response.

Does anyone have any ideas? Would anyone just give up at this point? I can't believe this was 4 years ago when this was discussed. The creator of SaveGame Manager GX, @dj_skual was worried about it because his app let you download from that site, and people like @gamecaptor and @cvskid chimed in, I remember.

Maybe he could give the site data to someone who has time to work on it? GameFAQs has save files too, but not like the amount that WiiSave had. WiiSave started in 2006, and there's a lot of history from that! I was really excited to see it come up around that time in 2015, I could feel it being close to summer (it was around this time of year) and fresh sunshine, and the feeling of it coming back. That day still hasn't came.

Let's hope that WiiSave comes up in the future, or someone can make a GBATemp thread or a much more modern site for it. I've held onto my Wii ever since it released in 2006, it has been something important to me when growing up. The Wii must live on, even though more modern consoles exist.

Anyway, you get my point. You can still download a few of the saves that were on that site from archive.org. I hope someone is able to contact Brandon about WiiSave. Of course, people can just play games normally and not cheat their way through it, but I'm sure that there's some uses for completed save files.

There are still great projects that are still active.

A bit off-topic but I want to talk about GameTDB. It has covers and game information for lots of consoles. It started with the Wii, and there's even a Switch database now. Notably for Wii, USB loaders still download stuff from that site, and it'd be interesting to see someone make use of the database we're building for the Switch. It's been a fun project that I've been enjoying doing.

Even though I haven't been mostly known for working on that site, I have added tens of thousands of covers to that site. The admin, Lustar, is a really great guy, and we've been working together on the site for over 5 and a half years. It's one of those projects that we can ensure will live for years to come. Improvements to the site have happened, such as SSL support and now a new dark mode.

I want to ensure that the Wii is a console that's not forgotten about, and still cool. I've made a lot of friends that still love the Wii. I've worked on RiiConnect24, GameTDB, guides, resources, documentation on the Wii's history, preserving Wii games, pretty much caring about ANYTHING you can think of other than games.

Thanks for reading.

Sounds like he's no longer focusing on the Wii. But it also honestly sounds like your harassing him with emails so he just blocked you. I would have done the same thing in his shoes. I can bring it back myself if I really wanted too. I have the equipment.

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
OP
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like he's no longer focusing on the Wii. But it also honestly sounds like your harassing him with emails so he just blocked you. I would have done the same thing in his shoes. I can bring it back myself if I really wanted too. I have the equipment.

I'm not sure if I was, I didn't send him too many emails. Remember this is over a 4-year period. Harassing is not something I want to do, and I think it's probably a case of the email not being read.

Anyone could bring it back, but the save files are what's holding you back. I don't think anyone other than him has all of the save files that were on the site.

D

Deleted_413010

Anyone could bring it back, but the save files are what's holding you back. I don't think anyone other than him has all of the saves that were on the site.

Honestly...if people really cared about it somebody would have created a clone by now. That tells you nobody gives a shit for that site anymore. The save files might be useful but the Wii's homebrew scene is just too dead to give a shit about. The DSi scene is surprisingly more alive than the Wii but not by much.

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
OP
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Honestly...if people really cared about it somebody would have created a clone by now. That tells you nobody gives a shit for that site anymore. The save files might be useful but the Wii's homebrew scene is just too dead to give a shit about. The DSi scene is surprisingly more alive than the Wii but not by much.

I guess you can say that people don't care that much. Not everyone knows how they could create a clone. It just became something that was forgotten about. This thread is to tell people what I know and something that can be referred to. It's likely that many people didn't know it even existed if they modded their Wii in the past few years.

Good to hear that the DSi scene is alive. People still at least install and use homebrew for any given console.

I get your point and understand it, and I'm trying to respect it as much as possible, but you might be being a little too honest about this here and not having the best attitude. I just want people to still be able to use the great efforts that have came out of the Wii.

Last edited by Larsenv,
Reactions: Tarmfot

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users