KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ermm no its not fake
This topic is highly questionable and very possible to be a fake/hoax (missing evidence of malware files).

That doesn't mean there is no threat. Wii malware is ridiculously easy to produce I guess the hardest part would be setting up the dev kit. If the malware is done "right" neither Priiloader nor BootMii will save the console.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If people are installing stuff they find in Discord, then I think they deserve it.

Seriously, is that hard to download Dolphin, get a WAD and open it with the Emulator to see how it behaves?
Is also that difficult to make NAND Backups and save them somewhere safe?

Fake or not, people needs to start thinking with logic.

Last edited by JuanMena,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Seriously, is that hard to download Dolphin, get a WAD and open it with the Emulator to see how it behaves?
As Dolphin is not 100% accurate there are ways for malware to detect running in Dolphin and play innocent.
Is also that difficult to make NAND Backups and save them somewhere safe?
I'm 100% with you regarding backups. On the other side it is very easy to interrupt the boot process early on by trashing Boot2 (or Boot1 if there is no write protection on the first sector). That limits NAND restoration to people very skilled with the soldering iron (I certainly could NOT do it).

If people are installing stuff they find in Discord, then I think they deserve it.
Nothing is easier than pointing at people and saying: "Idiots!"
It is true that many (most?) people just abuse homebrew software/CFW for one task: ☠️Arrrrr!☠️
The needed tools for this are tested, well known and safe for the hardware+software.

When leaving these well-known paths and experimenting with homebrew, running unknown software is precisely what you *want* to do. "Only run trusted and known software" is the opposite – mutually exclusive.

On a system with no official way of recovery in case of completely trashed firmware there will always be a risk in running unknown stuff. One either accepts these risks and is willing to lose a device… or should refrain from running obscure stuff.

Having all that said, I completely agree with you on creating backups and the emulator test. Both will save your console in many cases.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: no, cod sucks +2