Hacking The status of Gateway and A9LH

StevenLexon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
i use liomajor's 3 stage2 to default get into luma sysnand and B get into gw. and when i press B to boot,my n3ds get into gw sysnand, is that no problem? i just want to use gw in emunamd and use luma in sysnand, how can i do that?

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it true that if I update while in GW sysnand mode, it will brick my N3ds and I can only unbrick by hardmod? My current setup is default boot to A9LH Luma3ds, but if I hold XY when booting, it will boot to A9LH GW sysnand mode.

This is one of the reasons I use emuNAND. I can update my emuNAND fine, and I only drop into sysNAND using Luma3DS for my GBA needs.

Reactions: AlucardjX

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure? I thought updating an N3DS in GW mode was a definite brick, because of the firm thing?
Actually, I think your right. Still, like everyone is saying. You shouldn't ever update within Gateway because GW doesn't block FIRM writes.

If someone plans to only use GW, then either still use Luma3DS to update, or keep your EmuNAND.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah. Youll end up on vanilla//stock firmware.
only on o3ds, on n3ds you will brick

Are you sure? I thought updating an N3DS in GW mode was a definite brick, because of the firm thing?
you are right, because we changed the decryption key it will no be able to decrypt the firm, so it can't boot.
o3ds is unaffected because it doesn't use the arm9loader, so it will not try to use the key we injected.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only on o3ds, on n3ds you will brick

you are right, because we changed the decryption key it will no be able to decrypt the firm, so it can't boot.
o3ds is unaffected because it doesn't use the arm9loader, so it will not try to use the key we injected.
See my post above. And in my defense I was just waking up when I made those posts. :P

More on topic: Why doesn't Gateway just steal borrow and implement FIRM protection. sigh.

Someone please help that one marketing guy that is still working there. /s

sampson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm a little lost as I've done very well to ignore a9lh and everything since emunand/rxtools "just worked." With rxtools abandoned I'd like to get in on this a9lh setup. Going off the guide https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Get-Started since I'm using emunand made from Gateway I need to reinstall a different emunand with this rednand?

Once everything is setup and Luma boots if I add the Gateway payload while holding a button will it boot into a9lh sysnand with Gateway mode or do I still need an emunand for Gateway to work?

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Going off the guide https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Get-Started since I'm using emunand made from Gateway I need to reinstall a different emunand with this rednand?

Once everything is setup and Luma boots if I add the Gateway payload while holding a button will it boot into a9lh sysnand with Gateway mode or do I still need an emunand for Gateway to work?

To put it short: By following the guide you linked to your emunand will become your new sysnand. Emunand won't be needed anymore, but of course you could load it up anytime if you wanted to. And yes, if you decide to get rid off your emunand, gateway will just work fine with your (fully updated) sysnand.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
See my post above. And in my defense I was just waking up when I made those posts.[emoji14]
More on topic: Why doesn't Gateway just steal borrow and implement FIRM protection. sigh.

Someone please help that one marketing guy that is still working there. /s
Because Team GW wants to force the user to use only emunand and only boot into GW.
GW's card is pretty cool, but Team GW sucks nowdays.

Reactions: samiam144

AlucardjX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ok another problem,with liomajors method i can start normally games from GW(sadame in that case)but booting from GW.bin from payloads chain(grey screen dragon)when i push select and choose(sadame)pushin A to start appears a nag that tells me that the game "that cartdrige cannot be played" so WTF??

edit: i've tried to replace the Launcher.dat(4/0b) with the same re-downloaded and it works this time!!!rebooted another time the nag reappears again,i've entered the GW boot menu launched gwmode and worked(with sadame)after that it works every time if i restart GW chainload from config menu...very strange :/

Last edited by AlucardjX,

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've updated my configuration again. Now there are BootCTR9 and CBM9 configurations (for those who prefer on-screen menus to hotkeys). It defaults to GW now. Just seems more appropriate being that this is a GW thread. I still include Luma support. The config files for it just have "_cfw" added to the name. Rename as desired. Get it HERE as usual. EDIT: I've updated the original post to reflect the changes made.

UPDATE: Changed it again. Added Arm9Select and Luma configurations. So, now there's something for everyone. Complete BootCTR9, CBM9, Arm9Select, and Luma configs. Which one is best for you? Try them all and decide for yourself.

Where should I copy the "boot_config_gw.ini" file?

If you want to use it, it goes on the root of the SD card, renamed to "boot_config.ini" (you have to rename/delete the existing "boot_config.ini"). EDIT: There's no need now. I just uploaded a new file. Just grab that.

So I'm a little lost as I've done very well to ignore a9lh and everything since emunand/rxtools "just worked." With rxtools abandoned I'd like to get in on this a9lh setup. Going off the guide https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Get-Started since I'm using emunand made from Gateway I need to reinstall a different emunand with this rednand?

No need to install RedNAND. Your existing EmuNAND will work just fine for the process. The guide author just has an obsession with something that should have died with Palantine, IMHO.

ok another problem,with liomajors method i can start normally games from GW(sadame in that case)but booting from GW.bin from payloads chain(grey screen dragon)when i push select and choose(sadame)pushin A to start appears a nag that tells me that the game "that cartdrige cannot be played" so WTF??

edit: i've tried to replace the Launcher.dat(4/0b) with the same re-downloaded and it works this time!!!rebooted another time the nag reappears again,i've entered the GW boot menu launched gwmode and worked(with sadame)after that it works every time if i restart GW chainload from config menu...very strange :/

Try BootCTR9 or CBM9? I've got configurations for both up now. BootCTR9 is the most similar to Luma of the two. Also, you could try Arm9Select I guess. I didn't do that one because it's zero config just like Luma (you just have to copy your payloads to the "arm9select" folder and remove the "_[name]" part). In other words, you just name them the button you want them on, or default (default.bin, x.bin, y.bin, etc.)

Last edited by Kazuma77,

DaftMink

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried to stay Gateway compatible, so after the A9LH guide I went back to 9.2 SysNAND and 11.0 EmuNAND.

Boot Settings:
A9LH - Load Luma3DS A9LH EmuNAND
A9LH Up - Load Gateway A9LH.bin EmuNAND
A9LH L - Launch HomeMenuHax press down to load SysNAND

Also with all the great payloads I can now easily backup and restore SysNAND and EmuNAND without PC so no more fears of updates EVER.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive made yet another update to my Boot Manager Mega Configs. This really should be the last major change. I've now added files for making any major CFW the default. If you want to make Cakes or ReiNAND the default, now all you have to do is rename (or in the case of Arm9Select, copy a different folder -- there are now 4 of them).

Reactions: Garcimak

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Hey there experts, i am trying to sort out my gateway+luma combo on my New3DS and I need some assistance.

I have the gateway payload set up to boot whilst holding the up button (named to up_gw.bin" and thrown in /luma/payloads) I am trying to use updated sysNAND mode (there is no emuNAND partition on my internal mSD card)

Is there a way to get Luma mode and Gateway mode to share the same sysNAND? For example, Luma and Gateway have both created their own home menu data respectively. And as a result, i now have two folders inside the /Nintendo 3DS/ folder.

Gateway and Luma act as two separate entities in sysNAND mode, if i change the theme in gateway mode, nothing changes inside Luma mode. Is there something i am doing wrong, or is this just the nature of how the CFW's work?

Apologies for my noobness in advance. Thank you :)

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there experts, i am trying to sort out my gateway+luma combo on my New3DS and I need some assistance.

I have the gateway payload set up to boot whilst holding the up button (named to up_gw.bin" and thrown in /luma/payloads) I am trying to use updated sysNAND mode (there is no emuNAND partition on my internal mSD card)

Is there a way to get Luma mode and Gateway mode to share the same sysNAND? For example, Luma and Gateway have both created their own home menu data respectively. And as a result, i now have two folders inside the /Nintendo 3DS/ folder.

Gateway and Luma act as two separate entities in sysNAND mode, if i change the theme in gateway mode, nothing changes inside Luma mode. Is there something i am doing wrong, or is this just the nature of how the CFW's work?

Apologies for my noobness in advance. Thank you :)
That doesn't sound like you have just sysNAND, as there should only be one folder with random numbers inside the Nintendo 3DS folder.

Are you using 4.0b Launcher.dat? If you are truly on a sysNAND only system, does it nag you? If it doesn't, then it's booting into EmuNAND.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
That doesn't sound like you have just sysNAND, as there should only be one folder with random numbers inside the Nintendo 3DS folder.

Are you using 4.0b Launcher.dat? If you are truly on a sysNAND only system, does it nag you? If it doesn't, then it's booting into EmuNAND.

I actually physically repartitioned the SD card, there isn't any emuNAND partition, which is what is confusing me.

Both gateway mode and luma create their own data folders inside the nintendo 3DS folder.

And yes, i am using the 4.0b launcher.dat. I must be missing something, somewhere :unsure:

Thanks for the reply, any suggestions what could be causing this?

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually physically repartitioned the SD card, there isn't any emuNAND partition, which is what is confusing me.

Both gateway mode and luma create their own data folders inside the nintendo 3DS folder.

And yes, i am using the 4.0b launcher.dat. I must be missing something, somewhere :unsure:

Thanks for the reply, any suggestions what could be causing this?
Your problem is that you didn't use EmuNAND9's "Format SD (no EmuNAND)" option. GW can still see mentions to that partition, even if they might not show up on a computer anymore. If anything, all you did was mark that partition for deletion, instead of fully removing it. Use EmuNAND9 to properly remove it, and you should be fine.

Also, 4.0b will nag you on a sysNAND only setup, which is why some people use 3.7.1 or 4.0a to avoid that nag.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Your problem is that you didn't use EmuNAND9's "Format SD (no EmuNAND)" option. GW can still see mentions to that partition, even if they might not show up on a computer anymore. If anything, all you did was mark that partition for deletion, instead of fully removing it. Use EmuNAND9 to properly remove it, and you should be fine.

Also, 4.0b will nag you on a sysNAND only setup, which is why some people use 3.7.1 or 4.0a to avoid that nag.

Oh i see, this is actually true because i already had my OTP dumped for this console, so i cut a lot of corners on the Plailect guide. I'll try that then!

Thanks again :)

EDIT: Yep, formatting with emuNAND9 fixed the problem and i am getting the nag screen now in the launcher. Thanks a lot for your assistance!

Last edited by Deleted member 333767,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Don't forget to pet it for good luck