The "Start" Button - Replaced for the Newest Consoles

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just took a look at ps4 controller.. so they removed it to add 'share' button ? ... omfg and for xbox guessing by the icon it's something like an alt+tab... well at least one of them is useful

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just took a look at ps4 controller.. so they removed it to add 'share' button ? ... omfg and for xbox guessing by the icon it's something like an alt+tab... well at least one of them is useful
A Share and Options button. The Options button basically does what the start used to do.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in saints row 3rd/4 the start button brings up the save/quit menu. While the select button brings up a menu for several different things, such as your map and quest list. If the game gets ported over at some point, I guess more "apps" will be added to the saint's phone or the save/quit menu will be made as another choice in the select menu.

Mythrix

Trophies
XP
Country
I guess it makes perfect sense to remove/rename the button(s). After all, no games actually depend on the Start button to start the game anymore (if ever). Or to use the Select button to select anything. It's like that old Windows joke, "Why is it that you have to press the Start button to stop the computer?" :P

So yeah, renaming is fine. Rest in peace! You both had a good run and will be remembered with fondness. :)

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the start button, but if you think about it, it doesn't really make sense anymore. If anything it is more appropriate to call it "menu", as that is usually what it ends up being. I think Nintendo made a good choice in using + and - in that they are no longer associated with one specific purpose. A "start" button implies that the only thing it does is start the game and then it is entirely useless. A "menu" button is just the opposite, where it opens or closes the menu and that's it. By calling the buttons something more generic developers are open to use it however they want, although many will stick to the conventional uses of the old start button.

As a side note, + and - was a good idea for backwards compatibility, but in the future I see no reason for a minus (or "select") button as this is pretty rarely used.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So I guess for older games that are "ported" over you will use a short press for start and a longer press for select or something like that? Or perhaps they will make L2 select and R2 start?

They have a big touch pad on the controller. If it's needed to have a select button for a game, it can be easily mapped on the pad. It's even a clickable pad.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm surprised people actually give a shit about this. As long functionality is retained, who actually cares about he number of buttons?

Well have you ever tried using just your phone's touch screen to play Super Mario Brothers or Pilotwings? After all, as long as functionality is retained who actually cares about the number of buttons, right?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I guess it makes perfect sense to remove/rename the button(s). After all, no games actually depend on the Start button to start the game anymore (if ever). Or to use the Select button to select anything. It's like that old Windows joke, "Why is it that you have to press the Start button to stop the computer?" :P

So yeah, renaming is fine. Rest in peace! You both had a good run and will be remembered with fondness. :)

Though for older games brought over having to use a short press for start and a long press for select is going to be a pain (and no, you can't just map the "share" button to start or select because that is used for sharing). Or I guess they could map select to L2 and start to R2.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Complexity in gaming seems to progress in an arch and not so much of an upward trend. We hit the peak during the xbox/PS2/gc era and since then everything has been getting more streamlined and losing complexity in every iteration. In about 10 -20 years, we'll have gone back to a knob and maybe a button (or more likely a touchpad). At least the games will be prettier.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    I had EarthLink lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I had EarthLink lol