The PlayStation Classic relies on the open source PS1 emulator PCSX ReARMed to play its games

VTUZpMa.png

Classic and mini versions of retro game systems have become popular to release onto the market, including the recently announced PlayStation Classic. With a very basic UI, and the chosen lineup of 20 games, many fans were disappointed and claimed that Sony's attempt at a plug and play throwback console was low effort. Complaints only furthered when it was revealed that Sony wasn't creating or reusing their own PlayStation 1 emulator for the Classic, like they had done with the PSP's POPS emulator, or with the PSP emulator that was found within the PlayStation 4 remaster of Parappa, or the emulated PlayStation 2 classic titles on the PlayStation 4 as well. Instead, Sony has opted use an emulator made by the public: PCSX ReARMed. At an event showing off the upcoming hardware, previewers were able to try out the PlayStation Classic, and found a menu listing stating that it uses open-source software, including PCSX ReARMed.

:arrow: Source

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, so lets grab a list:

-It tries to cash-in on Nintendo's formula
-Don't announce Dual-shock controllers
-Created a crappy game list
-Uses free open-source software
-Isn't guilty of what Sony did to their fans
and on top of that:
I can't buy it.
Why?
Because those faggots at PEGI rates this console WITH PEGI 18, THE HIGHEST RATING!
1952500-7e996cb2.jpg

WHAT MADE SONY THINK THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To anyone that says that it's "unethical" or that Sony is "stealing", it's not entirely true. PCSX ReArmed is under the GPL 2.0 license, which state that anyone can use it for commercial use, as long as they:
Distribute a copy of the license and copyright notice with the software (Sony might have done that. Depends of what informations are in the menu listing.)
Disclose the source code, and any modification done to it (those are the points that Sony breached the license with)
Use the same license (i.e. GPL 2.0)

Reactions: tyrantnyx

MegaGenesis

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Remember when Sony sued Bleam developers? Now they're selling a open source program. Buying this to "fix" it by yourself will just give your money to Sony for a lazy effort. They win at the end anyway. The market sees this and think they can get away with it. Look at the Neo Geo Mini, then the Sega Genesis Mini. And the recently releases like Castlevania Requiem and SNK 40th anniversary collection. Retrogaming became a easy quick cash grab for companies.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
SO you can add or erase gsmes like mini nes ?

I guess someone is going to find a way.... But then you are going have less features than the one you have using a PI3 with any distro that use PCSX rearmed....
So why pay 100 to Sony for a cheap ass work.

aerios169

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I guess someone is going to find a way.... But then you are going have less features than the one you have using a PI3 with any distro that use PCSX rearmed....
So why pay 100 to Sony for a cheap ass work.
Better to wait for emulation of switch

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, not only did they steal every one of Nintendo's ideas up to this point, they wholesale stole open source work to make a commercial product.

Is it any wonder, that i have such an axe to grind with Sony when they continue to be financially successful in spite of doing such blatantly unethical shit like this?
It depends on the license used, if all it requires is that give credit, they gave credit.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thank you "lame brand owner", you didn't dissapointed me, because I wasn't expecting great things from this try-on for getting on the "oldies memories" bandwagon.

That "lame brand owner" proves once again (as they did with the Vita), that they only care about their bank accounts and not about the customers.

And this, my friends, is precisely the "how-not-to-do-it" way.

Screw you sunny.

BTW. I love my Vita, but not thanks to sunny, but the scene devs.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Sony is terrible with software, news at 11!

More seriously, yes this thing is terrible, it cannot even use memory cards.

D

Deleted User

So first Sony goes around suing the makers of Playstation emulators, and now it uses their work?
Also, it's making customers pay for software that's free and not to be paid for. I think the creators of PCSX should sue Sony instead.
The emulator is free, the 20 games and hardware aren't

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Bleem was a comercial emulator. Sony main business with videogames was selling Playstations and who was gonna buy one if you could play Playstation games on your PC or Dreamcast?

That said Sony using a free emulator for this and making such a shoddy product is not something they should feel proud of.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really sony? you cant make your own emulator for the arm cpu,so you have to steal open source. Wouldnt it be great to sue sony for violating the GNU licence. Should not be hard to bring to court. You either steal the code or you dont.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Really sony? you cant make your own emulator for the arm cpu,so you have to steal open source. Wouldnt it be great to sue sony for violating the GNU licence. Should not be hard to bring to court. You either steal the code or you dont.
GNU violations by big companies is common, eventually they amend their problems and get home free. Ask xiaomi among others...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway +1