Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this would help anyone, but I found the site in my searching.
http://www.print3dd.com/3d-printing-dual-extruder-yoshi/#

Vulpes Abnocto, one more question about the base that wasn't covered in that description:

On the top piece of the base, how wide is the "cap" and each individual ring of the "neck", and what's the spacing of the rings?

I borrowed a micrometer and calipers to get those measurements, while we were preparing for this contest. I no longer have access to them.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a PSA, but for those of you that want to participate, but don't have a CAD program, look at this. It's free, intuitive, and very logical (no, Google did not pay me to say that). Remember all those great custom Mario Kart Wii tracks? Most of them were made in this

Edit: Also, this is the more powerful program that I use. It costs money, but if you are a student or educator you can get it for free for 3 years!

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woah so this is seriously not an April Fools joke!?
I would love to see updates on anyone's progress!

I have the bottom part of a standard Smash amiibo base modeled. I'm planning to share the entire base with this thread with instructions on how to make it to give other people a head-start, but I've hit a snag because I don't know certain measurements of the top gold piece with the "Smash" emblem on it

Edit: I found some stand-in measurements by doing some algebra and using calipers on the picture of the disassembled "Wii Fit Trainer" base, but they're far from accurate. Regardless, I expect to have the standard Smash base next weekend, provided the school load isn't too bad, for those that need it/want to look at my instructions for it

Reactions: jonthedit

ResleyZ

Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What colour is it?
I've got a couple of colours; black, white, orange, yellow, green, red, gray/silver, glow in the dark, and wood. Most of those are easy to print, with the stability they have, but some, like gray and wood, are tough to print correctly.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Retr0Capez

Gone and forgotten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a couple of colours; black, white, orange, yellow, green, red, gray/silver, glow in the dark, and wood. Most of those are easy to print, with the stability they have, but some, like gray and wood, are tough to print correctly.
Is there a specific price?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So whaddya think so far??
2015-04-06 19.27.10.jpg

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy cow, that looks fantastic so far!

Thanks! ^_^ I thought so as well, considering I literally guessed and checked with some of the dimensions :rofl: Now all I have to do is model the structural support in the cap and write the guide, and I will have done half of everyone's work lol

However, since I have you here now, I have a few questions: Did you actually disassemble an amiibo base? And if so, what did the NFC tag feel like? (I'm trying to figure out how much of a tolerance I should give the supports so we don't end up breaking it when inserting a tag into the model)

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, since I have you here now, I have a few questions: Did you actually disassemble an amiibo base? And if so, what did the NFC tag feel like? (I'm trying to figure out how much of a tolerance I should give the supports so we don't end up breaking it when inserting a tag into the model)

Yes, I took apart a Samus amiibo. I have the NFC tag right here. It's a paper- thin, very bendable plastic with adhesive and very thin aluminum strips making up the circuitry, on one side. Much more simple than you're thinking.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I took apart a Samus amiibo. I have the NFC tag right here. It's a paper-thin, very bendable plastic with adhesive and very thin aluminum strips making up the circuitry, on one side. Much more simple than you're thinking.

Good to hear! I just wanted to know if it was bendy or firm, so thanks!

(So what's it like just sticking a circular piece of plastic on your Wii U GamePad and having it register as an amiibo?? ;))

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Folks!
We are now officially two week into the bounty, and I've realized that some changes need to be made.

When coming up with the contest I was working from a mistaken assumption that 3D scanning was more widespread and reliable than it is.
The fact has come to my attention that such scanners are incredibly unreliable at this point, and rather expensive if you want one with a good level of accuracy.

So we're going to make this easier for everybody by removing the necessity for deconstruction and scanning and replacing it with a far more simple task:
Design your custom amiibo/skylander/et cetera with a recognizable character or style, print it, and then share how you did it in the form of a tutorial.

This can be done with any design software, and any printer. You can use a single color, or as many colors as you want. Keep in mind that we'll be having to grade your design more on style now, rather than depth of detail in the tutorial.
The base Does Not Have To Open to accept a NFC tag, however you may have seen that somebody is trying to do just that and making impressive strides.

If you've already been deconstructing amiibos and scanning the pieces then you should definitely continue your tutorial in that regard, because the ones that do will be weighted more heavily when we're deciding upon our winner or winners.

While we're at it, the submission process needs to be changed as well.
Concerns were raised that if tutorials were publicly posted as soon as they were completed, late-comers to the contest could easily use those to improve their own tutorial. So instead you can either
Keep your tutorial until the contest is nearly at an end. The last week of June we'll prompt everyone to send in their tutorials via private message and we'll post them once the deadline is here.
If you're concerned that you might lose the information and want it kept for you, then you can send them to me via private message as soon as you're finished with them.
If you're one of the people here that has butted heads with me over the years and don't want to send it to me (which is fine, you're still eligible to win) then choose a member of the staff that you feel you can trust and send it to them instead.

And finally, you may have noticed the phrase "winner or winners" in the above paragraphs. We are not limiting this contest to only a single winner, but instead we intend to base it on the number of serious participants. I say "serious" because those of you who might get the idea to send in simple four-line tutorials just to bump up the number of prizes available will have your entry disqualified.

I apologize for the necessity of these changes.
We really hope no further changes will be necessary.
Feel free to ask any questions that this might have raised.
Good luck to everyone!

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just picked up a cheap Yoshi amiibo. Wal*Mart had them 25% off for whatever reason. As far as taking these things apart, what kind of tools do you recommend? I would just brute force it, but I would like to damage as little it as possible, particularly taking into account how cheap and bendable they feel (disappointed in you once again, Nintendo...)

Edit: At the very least, could someone tell me if I'll fry the NFC tag if I use a hairdryer to heat the glue/expand the plastic a bit to take things apart?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, I think i'm one too