Hacking THE END OF HOMEBREW :-( IN THE UK

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
lol this has been ongoing for over 6 years now, it still needs to get passed through the house of lords which it's failed to do several times already.

That's beside the point though, even if it was passed (it will be soon), then it is by no means the end of homebrew or piracy (which is the real issue some are freaking out about) using the internet or anything to freak out about.

I really did laugh out loud reading this topic. It reminds me of the millenium bug, it was to be the end of EVERYTHING....omfg what about 2012 coming
frown.gif
NWO will kline us all
tongue.gif

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's what I thought, but I'm not that up on my politics. Even the "3 strikes" bull pobably wouldn't work anyhows. The rest of it seems quite good. Especially the review into games classification and starting to treat the games industry like the movie/music industries when it comes to tax breaks etc.

pspmte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Its is the end Slimmmmmm

The end of every radio by 2015 for a start

The isp will block sites that infringe copyright material,hacking will be made illegal in UK and btw the BBC is saying the law was passed Thursday

Btw THrushinfo Homebrew,Hacking, Piracy are all classed as the same by these people!

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats why im glad to be in the great US of A where our government does close to nothing especially about piracy

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You're getting the whole report mixed up with a anti file-sharing law. And TBH if you aren't already protected against this and use illegal torrents you're an idiot who deserves to get caught. And I don't see how this affects hacking at all.

And it's not all radio gone by 2015 (and who'd notice anyway), it's analogue radio gone 15 years after it should have. We shouldn't still have analogue TV ffs.

yellowperil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
One thing I read was this.

1 - Someone needs to raise a court case to block an IP or domain.

This is a huge sticking point, just imagine the day it passes 100's of websites suddenly get reported and then we have a backlog, each case needs to be confirmed and checked before any said block can take place.

Now if someone has an issue with a site they believe to be breaking this law, it needs to be confirmed and then checked and then could be blocked with due diligence from the actual owner.

I can see this now being stopped by the right of free speech, I know all it will take is one high profile case of someone saying a site was doing something wrong when in fact this law was used to take down a site that was unkind or unsavory to certain people, the human rights step in say there usual bit, and in a year or so, the system is being used to kurb sites that are deemed more unsavory (wiki leaks for example).

I can see this just being binnned in the long run.

Ohh I can access copyright material on Youtube.com, lets block youtube.........

yellowperil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
@SanGor

And I can honestly say this is why UK Gov is like it is, its run by people who don't have a bloody clue.
It seems people just get gov positions because of who the know and not what they know.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
I couldn't really be bothered posting again but thought I would to just add some facts to show people how much some are over reacting.

Did you know that if you browse the web then you are almost cretainly breaking copyright laws, the way that the internet works is it downloads pages/ images etc to your pc to display them to you, this is for a fact copyright infringement in many ways. I actually studied this a long time ago and found it funny.

Also playing a DVD or CD in a pc breaks copyright laws. DVD burners, CD burners, photocopiers, tape decks with a record button and even sky+ all break copyright laws in one way or another.

The authorities don't act on this however, but these devises can be proved to be illegal by "facilitating piracy".

If the autorities were to follow the law 100% then most websites would need to close, avatars and displaying images couldn't be left to an individual and would need vetted before posting.

Did you know in the UK for over 3 years now that most isps have volunteered and agreed to moniter and hand over information about people using torrents, yet not 1 single action has been taken using these step in the 3 years.

Look at the Alan Ellis case (oink) he walked free and now the question being raised and burried is why did criminal proceedings take place using tax payers money to persue what was a civil matter.

All of this is a mute point however because those worried about losing piracy can still use vpn or other methods, anytihng that is done to prevent piracy is defeated within hours, so this is not about stopping piracy, it's about controlling people.

As for the comment about people doing nothing, what about the 40,000+ emails sent to mps over this exact issue ?

Anyway as I said it's all blown out of proportion by the few that post a lot but understand very little about criminal/civil laws and how they are persued, it's simple maths concerning profit. Almost all of the controls will be put in the isps hands and I'm sure they will co-operate to stop customers paying them money, just like Virgin, BT and other have done so already by volunteering to moniter heavy usage for torrent traffic, report it and disconnect people ( not one so far in over 3 years )

"Freaking out" about this imho is more or less the same as those that though toasters and tv would stop working becase of the millenium bug (even though they don't use calendars or dates), planes would fall out of the sky and lives would be lost.

Going back to the original point...... this will not affect homebrew in anyway, and piracy will adapt within hours or days at most.

As for some saying the BBC said.....
The BBC said it was voted on, and passed in the house of commons...it still needs to make it through the house of lords before becoming law that can be acted on. Even then European courts may throw it out so it is in no way finalised yet (although it will be, but no drama imo)

LexLuthor

Trophies
XP
Country
Good post slim.
Supposing the absolute worst happens and the government spends millions really cracking down hard on ISPs and those IPs they deem to be downloading material. It will never ever work.

If the pirate and homebrew community can hack the intricate and complex security systems of a PS3 and Xbox and Wii its only going to take seconds for a massive and full scale (easy to use) system to pop up that will make downloading anonymous anyway.

All the dangers presented by this bill can easily be avoided by using a proxy.
It already exists - not that many people can be bothered to use it because they dont deem the risk to be all that great.

Proxies are not illegal and all it would take is for an online community to set up and easy to use website or system that everyone in the UK could use and all the governments efforts would be totally useless.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All I can say is, Canada is easy to like in comparison.

Even more free than the US where they think they invented free (two words, Homeland security).

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, piracy is bad. But any control of the Internet starts on a bad path of government control of the Internet. Look at Australia and China.

QUOTE said:
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
W hat said:
But any control of the Internet starts on a bad path of government control of the Internet. Look at Australia and China.

Eh? Nice one to point the finger...

How many people in US have been sued for downloading films and music? -- Many.
How many people in Australia have been sued for downloading films and music? -- None that I know of.
How many people in China have been sued for downloading films and music? -- This won't happen. No copyright laws exist, last I heard.

The threat of legal action is also a means of state control...

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
shame these posts just start appearing now, pitty they didnt appear back in november when it first came about, anyway there is a thread all about this in the news section, and the answer to the OP's question no I dont think its the end of homebrew because modding your wii console last time I looked is not illegal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu