Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

AparoidX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good Morning.View attachment 249695

A "simple" Explanation:

The Wii U has a "not so good" USB Power Supply/Voltage.
That is the Reason why you should not really use USB Sticks/Pen Drives/Thumb Drives/Flash Drives and HDD with a single USB Connection.
It is also depending which Controller(Chip) is used in the USB Device(s).

For the Wii for Example "older" USB Sticks are sometimes better working than Newer.

For the Wii U - a HDD with Power Supply and an Y-Cable is a very good Choice.
For the vWii - honestly the same.

But or course,some Devices are working without that Recommendation Setup.

Thank you.:)
Thank you! I just re-read my post and realized I was unclear... following Cyan's suggestion to change Loader's IOS to 58 solved my issue. I guess my question is, what is the effect of changing the Loader's IOS that would cause my USB HDD to work?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you.:)

Thank you! I just re-read my post and realized I was unclear... following Cyan's suggestion to change Loader's IOS to 58 solved my issue. I guess my question is, what is the effect of changing the Loader's IOS that would cause my USB HDD to work?

Also a "simplified" Explanation:

This two (58 and 249) are "Responsible"
for the Recognition/Response Behavior of the HDD/USB Device(s) in all USBLoaders.:)

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
um, i hacked my wii u and vwii modes recently, all worked great, but when i tryed to bakcup my vwii nand using
dump mii nand app, it started and got to 644 / 40?? % and then froze?

not sure why this happened, i used a SDXC 64gb transend card that is formated to FAT32 using GUIformat.

so, i couldn't backup my vwii nand, maybe i should:

1) run dump mii nand again
2) use a SDHC card (32gb) to dump mii nand instead of my sdxc so that the dump process will complete 100%?

i was able to do the rest of the porcessess for vwii, but could not backup my vwii nand.
it got cut partway and i had to pull the power plug to shut down my wii u as it wouldn't turn off by pressing the power button.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
um, i hacked my wii u and vwii modes recently, all worked great, but when i tryed to bakcup my vwii nand using
dump mii nand app, it started and got to 644 / 40?? % and then froze?

not sure why this happened, i used a SDXC 64gb transend card that is formated to FAT32 using GUIformat.

so, i couldn't backup my vwii nand, maybe i should:

1) run dump mii nand again
2) use a SDHC card (32gb) to dump mii nand instead of my sdxc so that the dump process will complete 100%?

i was able to do the rest of the porcessess for vwii, but could not backup my vwii nand.
it got cut partway and i had to pull the power plug to shut down my wii u as it wouldn't turn off by pressing the power button.

I don't think the size of the sd card is the problem. I'm using a 256GB one with mine (full size, not micro sd), and I've never had a homebrew not work with it whether it's wii u or vwii. :D

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I don't think the size of the sd card is the problem. I'm using a 256GB one with mine (full size, not micro sd), and I've never had a homebrew not work with it whether it's wii u or vwii. :D

oh, okay thanx godreborn for the info
so, the issue with dump mii nand freezing on 664/40xx progress might be a one time thing?

i wonder if it'll backup fully when run a second time?

not sure why this happened, very strange issue.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure. it didn't freeze for me. it could be an issue with the sd card. maybe try another. I think the nand dump is only 528MBs or so, so most should work.

upload_2021-4-8_9-31-19.png

Reactions: ca032769

gbadummy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good Morning.View attachment 249695
The Wii U has a "not so good" USB Power Supply/Voltage.
That is the Reason why you should not really use USB Sticks/Pen Drives/Thumb Drives/Flash Drives and HDD with a single USB Connection.
It is also depending which Controller(Chip) is used in the USB Device(s).

Having just installed USB Loader GX on my vWii I want to say one thing "Please use an externally powered external hard drive - yup the one that has it's own power supply". I was banging my head with my little USB-only WD portable. Yeah the 3.5 big drive is clunky and you'll need to plug in another 120V supply, but that drive is just going to sit under your TV, so it doesn't really need to be portable.

FYI, this is what I have:
  • Hacked Wii U - Haxchi - with external boot drive plugged into a USB hub into bottom USB Port 1. Drive is UStealth'd so Wii U doesn't constantly complain about two external drives detected. All of my wired mics are plugged into this hub as well.
  • Hacked vWii - Did it easy with Wuphax the first try. The external is plugged directly into top USB Port 0. (because USB Loader GX hates usb hubs)
Unique: The only reason I hacked the vWii was to play Rockband Wii in HDMI - I bought one of those $9 Wii to HDMI converters - they suck for quality. The built in composite converter in my LG TV sucks too. Lag and blurry graphics. Dolphin makes Wii games really good, but I don't want to have to fire up my PC to do it. So the best option is the vWii.

Soooo, getting the Rock Band mic's, guitars and wireless drums working on USB Loader GX is a whole nother thing. What works:
  • Devices: Since I'm using d2x-v10-beta52-vWii, you must plug all your mics, guitar and drum dongles into the hub before you launch the game. (took me a few days to figure this out after cursing my eBay mic and falsely blaming it for not working)
  • Karoake games: If the mics aren't detected (Let's Sing 2016, We Sing UK/Pop Hits), then set USB Loader GX for that game to use IOS 57/250. American Idol 1, 2, Disney Pops, High School Musical (just kill me) ones work fine on default 56/249.
  • Rock Band Games: All the Rock Band games (except 1) work with default 56/249. Rock Band 1 gives me problems... I can't get more than two devices connected to it. Changing the slot 250 made the game language into Korean lol. I think the IOS for Rock Band 1 is for Wii (not vWii only). Googling several sites indicate that Rock Band 1 is just kinda broken in vWii.
Anyway, I wanted to pay it forward here. So I hope this helps some other person googling how to haxor their vWii.

Last edited by gbadummy,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

gbadummy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I wonder if 2.5 self-powered externals all draw power differently. I bet some 2.5 externals just require too much power to spin up, maybe some 2.5's use less power.

Western Digital 2TB Black My Passport External Drive

gave several problems even with a Y-cable. It was intermittent at best. I had to weirdly change the IOS from 249 to 58, and then it wouldn't power up half the time. I tried all kinds of things to get it to consistently boot up. Powered Hubs, direct connections, etc. The drive works perfectly fine on my laptops and desktops.

When I plugged in the 3.5 Amazon Basics Enclosure with it's own power supply, it worked perfectly.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about usb powered drives with the vwii. it still seems to draw power when powered off from what I've heard causing drive failure, so it's best to get a drive with a toggle switch or something maybe?

gbadummy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about usb powered drives with the vwii. it still seems to draw power when powered off from what I've heard causing drive failure, so it's best to get a drive with a toggle switch or something maybe?

I only see the hard drive light on when USB Loader GX is up, otherwise the light is off. I also have Ustealth.exe installed to hide the drive from the Wii U.

BasSlk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yes, try usb loader gx. create an emunand (under features), then set it in custom folders, after that, inject all your wads into it (also under features).

In custom folders? I tried to use USB Loader GX. But the wiiware and wii chanels dont load and just go to a black screen (all of them)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste