Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
HUB are not compatible with cIOS.
you can use HUB for the additional power (for the Y-cable), but not for the data plug.

shouldn't rockband work with d2x r52 base 57 ? (the one installed in slot 250)
did you set your preferred loader to use slot 250 for this game ?
installing a set of cIOS in different slot will have no effect if you don't change your USBloader's config to take advantage of the other slots.
But default, USBLoaders are using the IOS installed in slot 249 only, you need to edit that setting to use slot 250.

plug the accessory before launching the game. (r52 is not plug&play)
r53 has a beta version of "plug&play" for USB accessories, but it's buggy and breaking some games. you can try r53 base57 if you want to test plugging the guitare after launching the game, but you better keep r52.
or, just install different version of d2x :
r52 base 57 in slot 249 (default)
r53 base 57 in slot 250 (for specific games you want to use plug&play or port1?)

Last edited by Cyan,

brollikk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HUB are not compatible with cIOS.
you can use HUB for the additional power (for the Y-cable), but not for the data plug.

shouldn't rockband work with d2x r52 base 57 ? (the one installed in slot 250)
did you set your preferred loader to use slot 250 for this game ?
installing a set of cIOS in different slot will have no effect if you don't change your USBloader's config to take advantage of the other slots.
But default, USBLoaders are using the IOS installed in slot 249 only, you need to edit that setting to use slot 250.

plug the accessory before launching the game. (r52 is not plug&play)
r53 has a beta version of "plug&play" for USB accessories, but it's buggy and breaking some games. you can try r53 base57 if you want to test plugging the guitare after launching the game, but you better keep r52.
or, just install different version of d2x :
r52 base 57 in slot 249 (default)
r53 base 57 in slot 250 (for specific games you want to use plug&play or port1?)

loaded rock band 3 using... cIOS 249, 250, 251 (d2x-v10-beta52) and none of them work with the usb.
then I installed cIOS d2x-alt in 230 and 231 (56/57 respectively) and tried loading rock band using each of those. Still won't recognize my usb instruments (tried all usb ports, tried plugging it in before loading the game).

I changed the game specific cios setting (clicked the game, then hit settings and cios). is this not enough? Do I have to also change the actual loader's default cios?

I am also concerned if I do that (say I change the loaders default to 250) that the overall compatibility gets messed up for all my other games. shouldn't changing it for just one game be enough?

Also, if I already have things in 249,250,251 shouldn't I be using other free slots like 230?

Sorry if it's a lot of questions - just trying to get this right.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's enough to change the setting in the individual game options, no need to change the full (global) settings which would affect all other games too.

if you set your global setting for "game's IOS" to 250 (I suppose r52 base57?) then you won't lose any compatibility, on the contrary.
some games requires a cIOS based on IOS57, so using your slot250 as default should have better compatibility than using base56. (call of duty, just dance 2017, and I thought rock band too but maybe I'm wrong)
I know only 2 games (so far) which requires an IOS based on 56 (spyro USB-NFC gate, and another game I forgot the name).

You can keep your base 56 as default, just try slot250 individually for non working games you encounter.
I think for the moment there are as much games working only with 56 than games working only with 57 (2 for each ?), all other games are compatible with both 56 or 57, so use the one you want as default.

If you already have 249/250/251 used, and want to keep them, then you can install new cIOS base/version in other slot above 230. (below slots are reserved for Hermes cIOS, not d2x cIOS)
But if you only want to test and don't need to keep them, you can just overwrite another used slot, then reinstall the one you want over it whenever you need it.

for example, d2x base58 is very rarely used; so you can install d2x r53 base 57 in slot 251 instead.
you'd have :
249 : r52 base 56 (default)
250 : r52 base 57 (for problematic games, like CoD)
251 : r53 base 57 (for ... anything which needs Port1, 2 USB ports at same time or Plug&Play support)

Last edited by Cyan,

brollikk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's enough to change the setting in the individual game options, no need to change the full (global) settings which would affect all other games too.

if you set your global setting for "game's IOS" to 250 (I suppose r52 base57?) then you won't lose any compatibility, on the contrary.
some games requires a cIOS based on IOS57, so using your slot250 as default should have better compatibility than using base56. (call of duty, just dance 2017, and I thought rock band too but maybe I'm wrong)
I know only 2 games (so far) which requires an IOS based on 56 (spyro USB-NFC gate, and another game I forgot the name).

You can keep your base 56 as default, just try slot250 individually for non working games you encounter.
I think for the moment there are as much games working only with 56 than games working only with 57 (2 for each ?), all other games are compatible with both 56 or 57, so use the one you want as default.

If you already have 249/250/251 used, and want to keep them, then you can install new cIOS base/version in other slot above 230. (below slots are reserved for Hermes cIOS, not d2x cIOS)
But if you only want to test and don't need to keep them, you can just overwrite another used slot, then reinstall the one you want over it whenever you need it.

for example, d2x base58 is very rarely used; so you can install d2x r53 base 57 in slot 251 instead.
you'd have :
249 : r52 base 56 (default)
250 : r52 base 57 (for problematic games, like CoD)
251 : r53 base 57 (for ... anything which needs Port1, 2 USB ports at same time or Plug&Play support)

That's what I thought.
so I have d2x r52 base 56,57,58 in 249,250,251 like most people and rock band 3 usb instruments do not work int he usb1 slot.
i have d2x r53 base 56,57 in 230 and 231 and rock band instruments don't work in either of those either.

I changed the game specific ios setting in usbloadergx for both and tried it for all of those different slots and no luck. Also for the hell of it, I tried using a usb hub in usb0 slot (for my hard drive and the instruments) and it didn't even recognize the hard drive - just like you said.

I know that hermes is not a solution for vwii... I feel like I tried basically everything at this point. What do you suggest I do?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you were on Wii, I would have suggested that you try Hermes cIOS v4 base 37+38
Hermes cIOS often has more compatibility with music games.

But unfortunately, Hermes cIOS are not updated to work on vWii :(

I don't have more idea. I'd suggest you create (or search?) a new thread with a question how to play rock band on vWii, other users probably did it and have a solution.

brollikk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you were on Wii, I would have suggested that you try Hermes cIOS v4 base 37+38
Hermes cIOS often has more compatibility with music games.

But unfortunately, Hermes cIOS are not updated to work on vWii :(

I don't have more idea. I'd suggest you create (or search?) a new thread with a question how to play rock band on vWii, other users probably did it and have a solution.

I spent the last 4 days searching every single thread on here about usb instruments. It doesn't look like anyone has successfully done it on vwii.

brollikk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry, I can't help.
I don't know anyone, nor remember reading anything for that game.

Hey, would it be possible that I'm having issues because I didn't install d2xbeta53-alt using 249,250,and 251? (currently they are in 230,231,232 with base 56,57,58). Also the bases, should I be trying anything lower like 36 others?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the slot number has no consequence as long as you don't install below 230 (because Hermes Slot are commonly installed in 202-229 slots, and are treated differently by the loaders).
As long as it's 230-253, then it works the same way.

you shouldn't use r53, even if it's "supposed" to enable other USB Slot, and even if it's "supposed" to have plug&play support, because it's not right. It's only beta, and not working correctly. old IOS version didn't have that support and it didn't prevent other games from working correctly.
You'd better use r52.

If you are on vWii, I don't think you'll get a lot of choice for the base to use.
You probably will be stuck with 56-57-58.
I don't know if you can use base36-38-other if they are not defined in the ciosmaps.xml.
but if they are, then yes, try another base.

Though, I doubt a base36 would help if the game requested IOS58 when played from disc.
you'll have more chance to use r52base58.

Charix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I'm a little confused. I was looking at the vWii modding guide from wiiu.guide just to see if there were any differences between that one and this one. And it turns out there are. In this guide, it tells you to patch IOS236. However, in the wiiu.guide, it tells you to patch IOS80 and does not mention IOS236. So, what do these two do, and which one should I patch? I've also looked at YouTube tutorials that sometimes say to patch IOS80 and some others to patch IOS236. So I'm just confused as to what they all mean.

elsanto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Very good guide.

I have purchased a second hand Wii U (firmware 5.3.2) that was already vWii hacked.

The current status of vWii according to SysCheck HDE is:
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition por JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, y Nano
...ejecutado en vIOS58 (rev 6432).

Region: PAL
Menu de Sistema 4.3E (v610)

Fecha de la unidad: 12.07.2012
Canal Homebrew 1.1.2 ejecutandose en IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
ID de consola: XXXYYYZZZ
Tipo de consola: vWii
Pais del Canal Tienda: Spain (105)
Boot2 v0
62 titulos encontrados.
Se encontraron 34 IOS en esta consola. 0 de ellos son stubs.

vIOS9 (rev 1290): Sin Parches
vIOS12 (rev 782): Sin Parches
vIOS13 (rev 1288): Sin Parches
vIOS14 (rev 1288): Sin Parches
vIOS15 (rev 1288): Sin Parches
vIOS17 (rev 1288): Sin Parches
vIOS21 (rev 1295): Sin Parches
vIOS22 (rev 1550): Sin Parches
vIOS28 (rev 2063): Sin Parches
vIOS31 (rev 3864): Sin Parches
vIOS33 (rev 3864): Sin Parches
vIOS34 (rev 3864): Sin Parches
vIOS35 (rev 3864): Sin Parches
vIOS36 (rev 3864): Sin Parches
vIOS37 (rev 5919): Sin Parches
vIOS38 (rev 4380): Sin Parches
vIOS41 (rev 3863): Sin Parches
vIOS43 (rev 3863): Sin Parches
vIOS45 (rev 3863): Sin Parches
vIOS46 (rev 3863): Sin Parches
vIOS48 (rev 4380): Sin Parches
vIOS53 (rev 5919): Sin Parches
vIOS55 (rev 5919): Sin Parches
vIOS56 (rev 5918): Sin Parches
vIOS57 (rev 6175): Sin Parches
vIOS58 (rev 6432): USB 2.0
vIOS59 (rev 9249): Sin Parches
vIOS62 (rev 6942): Sin Parches
vIOS80 (rev 7200): Sin Parches
vIOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt-vWii): Acceso NAND, USB 2.0
vIOS250[57] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt-vWii): Acceso NAND, USB 2.0
vIOS251[58] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt-vWii): Acceso NAND, USB 2.0
vIOS512 (rev 7): Sin Parches
vIOS513 (rev 1): Sin Parches
Reporte generado el 24/03/2018.

I'd like to follow your guide from the backing up nand point.

I see that XYZZY (from the xyzzy homepage you linked) tries to connect to download IOS11 Nintendo Update Servers, but i have that blocked to avoid Wii U firmware update. I don't want to upgrade firmware with hacked vWii until I know for sure that it's safe.
Should I remove the DNS blocking to allow XYZZY to download IOS11?

Is it useful to do a NAND backup after cIOS has already been installed?

Thank you very much for the guide. Regards

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Alright, so I'm a little confused. I was looking at the vWii modding guide from wiiu.guide just to see if there were any differences between that one and this one. And it turns out there are. In this guide, it tells you to patch IOS236. However, in the wiiu.guide, it tells you to patch IOS80 and does not mention IOS236. So, what do these two do, and which one should I patch? I've also looked at YouTube tutorials that sometimes say to patch IOS80 and some others to patch IOS236. So I'm just confused as to what they all mean.
I believe patching ios80 is dangerous. you should patch 236. that's how I have mine setup.

IOS236 and IOS80 are used for different things, you can't tell someone to install one instead of the other without understanding what he needs it to.

IOS80 is required to launched installed (illegal) channels on the SD menu. (wiiware/Virtual consoles installed with a WAD manager)
IOS236 is not required anymore, it was needed as safety to recover from semi brick vWii. vWii can now be fixed from WiiU Mode, so installing 236 is not required anymore. It's still in this guide, because the author did not connect to this site since 236 is not required anymore. there are few things this guide needs an update, I also don't have time to fix all the errors (not a lot, but still not good to have them)

Last edited by Cyan,

darknitewolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi:

I followed the steps and was able to play backup wii games in Wii U system. After removing WUPHax and restoring the original vWii MiiMaker channel, every time i want to play wii games in vWii, I have to load WUPHax installer again, in order to get to vWii and USB Loader GX. Is that correct? Is there a way to access vWii without loading the WUPHax everytime i want to play wii games?

Thanks,
Quang

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi:

I followed the steps and was able to play backup wii games in Wii U system. After removing WUPHax and restoring the original vWii MiiMaker channel, every time i want to play wii games in vWii, I have to load WUPHax installer again, in order to get to vWii and USB Loader GX. Is that correct? Is there a way to access vWii without loading the WUPHax everytime i want to play wii games?

Thanks,
Quang
You just launch into vWii the standard way and open the homebrew channel...
Or you can use the hbl2hbc wii u homebrew app, which will take you straight to homebrew channel

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

darknitewolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, load into vWii with the standard way that's built into the wii u by default? You do realize the wii u comes with vWii access from the factory without needing to hack to get into it?

No. I didnt know that. Idont know much and i dont play games. Just started to follow the tutorials to make things easier for my kids. Ill check into loading the standard way that you mentioned. Thanks

EuroMIX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There doesn't appear to be a generic noob questions thread for the vWii like with the Wii forum, so I thought it best to ask here. Apologies if this is the wrong place.

I was curious if the front USB ports are usable at all with the vWii, even via homebrew applications?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1