Hacking The Cons of using SX OS!

What would you rather do?

• Get backup loading now even if Atmosphere wont be supported earlier on Higher firmware.

• I'll stay on lower firmware and wait for Atmosphere.

• I'll stay on lower firmware and wait for Atmosphere, but still use TX dongle for convenience

• I'll only play small games on my fat32 sd card and not update.

Results are only viewable after voting.

comput3rus3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greedy bastid in me says "I'm gonna buy more switches bitches".

One for live . One for TX. One for atmosphere/linux.
kinda makes you wonder if Nintendo is behind all of this :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've opted to have two consoles with one on fw 2.0 (for Atmosphere) and the 2nd one on fw 3.02 (for the TX dongle) and get best of both worlds.
well you kinda missed the point of my post. Until we get an XCI splitter (not trimmer) and SX OS supports split XCI files you won't be playing any of the larger games on it unless you update to current firmware.

comput3rus3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 64gb in my switch on 4.1.0. I'm good to go no wukin furries.
I don't think you understand the issue at hand. Your 64gb sd is formatted to FAT32 (unless you had updated for exFAT support before 5.0 came out)
in which case you'll only be able to play backups under 4GB in size since that's the limit on FAT32.

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I don't think you understand the issue at hand. Your 64gb sd is formatted to FAT32 (unless you had updated for exFAT support before 5.0 came out)
in which case you'll only be able to play backups under 4GB in size since that's the limit on FAT32.

I understand perfectly well , lol your perception of my understanding is extremely flawed. I have the ExFat card running in my switch on 4.1.0 .lol jesus. Just popped in a 128GB for shits and giggles , guess what ? Confetti !.

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I have no internet connection on my Switch, nor did I ever have (I never even set up Wifi for the reason it might nag me with updates or silently update itself). The only time I updated was when Breath of the wild demanded it, and I did so from the cart (from 3.0.2 to 4.1.0, figured I'm already past 3.0.0 so why bother). What would happen if I plugged in an exFAT formatted microSD?

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I have no internet connection on my Switch, nor did I ever have (I never even set up Wifi for the reason it might nag me with updates or silently update itself). The only time I updated was when Breath of the wild demanded it, and I did so from the cart (from 3.0.2 to 4.1.0, figured I'm already past 3.0.0 so why bother). What would happen if I plugged in an exFAT formatted microSD?
@comput3rus3r has news for you , its bad im afraid.

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
@comput3rus3r has news for you , its bad im afraid.
What do you mean by that? I'm under the impression 4.1.0 is a relatively good FW for atmosphere, at least much better than 5.x. I asked what would happen if the switch sensed an exFAT microSD while not being able to update itself, due to not having internet connection to download an update from.

comput3rus3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You won't be able to use exFAT without updating. Maybe in the future after Atmosphere comes out it may become possible to change this.

Reactions: Naridar

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
What do you mean by that? I'm under the impression 4.1.0 is a relatively good FW for atmosphere, at least much better than 5.x. I asked what would happen if the switch sensed an exFAT microSD while not being able to update itself, due to not having internet connection to download an update from.
Oh right atmosphere is fine no worries just don't hope for large XCI file support on Fat32 partitions that don't support larger than 4GB chunks . But sure you have no need for piracy with atmosphere god bless your good honest soul sir . I bid you good evening , now gimme all yer fucking money im a dirty pirate.

comput3rus3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand perfectly well , lol your perception of my understanding is extremely flawed. I have the ExFat card running in my switch on 4.1.0 .lol jesus. Just popped in a 128GB for shits and giggles , guess what ? Confetti !.
I specifically stated (unless you had updated for exFAT support before 5.0 came out) There's no misunderstanding.

Reactions: DaveLister

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
You won't be able to use exFAT without updating. Maybe in the future after Atmosphere comes out it may become possible to change this.

Told ya ! @comput3rus3r , im i doing ok here ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Let's be honest, early adopters of SX products is because they want access to backup loading ASAP. But there's a caveat. You will have to update your switch to the latest firware version and thus cutting yourself off from the earlier versions of Atmosphere.
Here's why:
SX OS backup loader uses game dumps in the XCI format which is a 1:1 copy of the game cartridge. Small games won't be a problem but let's say you have a switch on fw 4.1.0 and you want to load a backup of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which has an XCI file of almost 8GB. You will need an SDXC card formatted to exFAT since you can't copy a file over 4GB to a FAT32 formatted sd card. The moment you put that 64GB sd card on your switch it will prompt you to update. So even though you get backup loading sooner with SX OS, you will have to wait longer to get more support from Atmosphere once it comes out since you will be on the latest firmware.

UPDATE: This release might be a workaround if it does indeed work.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/xci-cutter-tool-windows.504818/

UPDATE 2 Actually this tool won't cut it. No pun intended. A trimmed rom won't be enough to bring an 8GB file to less than 4GB.

Good catch OP, lots to suck on in this post , those who have held off and resisted the urge to uber nerd and play around with the device and stick all types of chips into said devices and use they're "IT Skillz" to see what worx and does not worx. Getting the Exfat support early for most of us should be fine, the tinkerers ..
I missed TS stating it was mandatory - would they not patch exfat in FW ? to add as mentioned earlier all Grog and swill downloads come in separated Rar's for the most part game loaders can be configured to read roms still in compression binaries, it would also help the scene covers, nfo's and title id world a little to have unification, ahem, we cant be having no Parlay.

Last edited by DaveLister,
Reactions: comput3rus3r

Yami Anubis ZX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm buying it cause of multiple reasons, I'm glad I went physical this time but also it comes with the USB C adaptor, which will be useful for future Nintendo Switch exploits and also the RCM jig, I'm too lazy to make my own, plus I don't wanna damage the pins.

comput3rus3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being first does come with a lot of perks. CFW might be weeks away and 40 USD is not a ton of cash. I'm waiting for a review before I pull the trigger.
I'll post a review once i get mine.
I'm buying it cause of multiple reasons, I'm glad I went physical this time but also it comes with the USB C adaptor, which will be useful for future Nintendo Switch exploits and also the RCM jig, I'm too lazy to make my own, plus I don't wanna damage the pins.
I believe it is a good investment regardless of how you choose to use it.(this is not a review) :)

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: its where the song was found lmao.