Hacking The Cons of using SX OS!

What would you rather do?

• Get backup loading now even if Atmosphere wont be supported earlier on Higher firmware.

• I'll stay on lower firmware and wait for Atmosphere.

• I'll stay on lower firmware and wait for Atmosphere, but still use TX dongle for convenience

• I'll only play small games on my fat32 sd card and not update.

Results are only viewable after voting.

NightsEkim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
right, it's a part of the firmware, and installing it the official way will update your console in the process

Hm, I could be wrong, but I recall way back when I got my first switch I was able to do the SDCard update with no firmware update and said switch was 1.0.0.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Let's be honest, early adopters of SX products is because they want access to backup loading ASAP. But there's a caveat. You will have to update your switch to the latest firware version and thus cutting yourself off from the earlier versions of Atmosphere.
Here's why:
SX OS backup loader uses game dumps in the XCI format which is a 1:1 copy of the game cartridge. Small games won't be a problem but let's say you have a switch on fw 4.1.0 and you want to load a backup of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which has an XCI file of almost 8GB. You will need an SDXC card formatted to exFAT since you can't copy a file over 4GB to a FAT32 formatted sd card. The moment you put that 64GB sd card on your switch it will prompt you to update. So even though you get backup loading sooner with SX OS, you will have to wait longer to get more support from Atmosphere once it comes out since you will be on the latest firmware.

UPDATE: This release might be a workaround if it does indeed work.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/xci-cutter-tool-windows.504818/

UPDATE 2 Actually this tool won't cut it. No pun intended. A trimmed rom won't be enough to bring an 8GB file to less than 4GB.

Are you sure you won't be able to do split roms like the 3DS did? Basically anything over 8gb on an incorrectly formatted SDCard would make 01, 02, 03 etc files on the SDCard when dumping and backup loaders would account for this?

ShroomKing

Somebody
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, I could be wrong, but I recall way back when I got my first switch I was able to do the SDCard update with no firmware update and said switch was 1.0.0.
if the latest firmware at that time was 1.0.0 then the switch likely got updated from 1.0.0 w/o exFAT to 1.0.0 w/ exFAT.

or you never used an exFAT card to begin with.

Reactions: comput3rus3r

NightsEkim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the latest firmware at that time was 1.0.0 then the switch likely got updated from 1.0.0 w/o exFAT to 1.0.0 w/ exFAT.

or you never used an exFAT card to begin with.

Naw I remember popping an SDCard out of one of my 3DS's (64GB) and removing the contents and popping in the switch and being prompted to update. Also the switch was Day 1 patched so it would have had an update since I didn't get one before release day.

Either way, no big deal.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rather use TX for now. Who cares if we want it for piracy. What others do with their systems is no one else’s business. Besides, TX will have homebrew support soon after the release

Reactions: OctolingRift

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I have a 1.0 and am wondering if you can use tx to install fake news. I already own ppt but for some it may be cheaper to buy a license rather then a game you will never play

gabru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
My little brother updated his switch, and mine has fw 4.1.0. I've preordered SX pro, because the dongle seems pretty useful + if i can get coldboot at 4.1.0 i will leave the SX to my brother + who knows if i need to run the payload and i can use the SX dongle to run fusee gelee i will do it + it's not expensive + I'm a geek and it seems a cool gadget + what's wrong with having all the options and deciding? This pretty much resumes why I have ordered SX pro.

Reactions: comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My little brother updated his switch, and mine has fw 4.1.0. I've preordered SX pro, because the dongle seems pretty useful + if i can get coldboot at 4.1.0 i will leave the SX to my brother + who knows if i need to run the payload and i can use the SX dongle to run fusee gelee i will do it + it's not expensive + I'm a geek and it seems a cool gadget + what's wrong with having all the options and deciding? This pretty much resumes why I have ordered SX pro.
yeah, i'm going to have to go get a second switch.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Let's be honest, early adopters of SX products is because they want access to backup loading ASAP. But there's a caveat. You will have to update your switch to the latest firware version and thus cutting yourself off from the earlier versions of Atmosphere.
Here's why:
SX OS backup loader uses game dumps in the XCI format which is a 1:1 copy of the game cartridge. Small games won't be a problem but let's say you have a switch on fw 4.1.0 and you want to load a backup of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which has an XCI file of almost 8GB. You will need an SDXC card formatted to exFAT since you can't copy a file over 4GB to a FAT32 formatted sd card. The moment you put that 64GB sd card on your switch it will prompt you to update. So even though you get backup loading sooner with SX OS, you will have to wait longer to get more support from Atmosphere once it comes out since you will be on the latest firmware.

UPDATE 2 Actually this tool won't cut it. No pun intended. A trimmed rom won't be enough to bring an 8GB file to less than 4GB.
Pretty sure it was already confirmed that Atmosphere would support 5.x at launch.

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Here's why:

I don't understand the need to update just to use the SD card.:unsure: I had a 64 GB card that I swapped for a 128 GB by formatting it to exFAT and I could use it without issue. I am on 4.1.0 by the way.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

comput3rus3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just checked my sd card in my switch and it is indeed exFAT which can support a file up to 16 EB. It is a 64 gb card.
what firmware are you?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't understand the need to update just to use the SD card.:unsure: I had a 64 GB card that I swapped for a 128 GB by formatting it to exFAT and I could use it without issue. I am on 4.1.0 by the way.
That's because you had already done the exFAT update before 4.1.0 was out as evidenced by the fact that a 64gb sd card is already exFAT formatted.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D