The confidency in hardmodding a switch

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
How are all the people so confident in doing stuff like this?
I tried to read the hardmod guide, and the beginning, there was a HUGE red warning that reads:

SERIOUSLY, if you've NEVER soldered before, this is not the mod for you to attempt yourself. The photos that you've seen to make you so confident you can do this yourself? They're usually in the ballpark of 10-20 times zoom. Most of the things you are seeing on this scale are millimeter or smaller in measurement. This mod requires good lighting, steady hands, all the right equipment, and most of all, experience with soldering. Knowledge of why flux works, and why it is so important to be used in small projects like this cannot be overstated. Please, don't kill your switch, this isn't r/techgore, we don't want to see photos of your ripped traces and your tears stained on the motherboard...

This warning would be completely enough to kill any confidence that I would've had if I ever attempted to do the hardmod.

That, and the list of required stuff is quite long and lists a lot of VERY, VERY specific stuff that can be hard or plain impossible to obtain depending on your country. At least the resistors that it lists are at a somewhat common value (50Ω) and aren't very specific, but when it gets to stuff like the soldering tips or even the wire, it's one very specific product and considering how many types of copper wires or tips exist...

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to read the hardmod guide, and the beginning, there was a HUGE red warning that reads:

SERIOUSLY, if you've NEVER soldered before, this is not the mod for you to attempt yourself. The photos that you've seen to make you so confident you can do this yourself? They're usually in the ballpark of 10-20 times zoom. Most of the things you are seeing on this scale are millimeter or smaller in measurement. This mod requires good lighting, steady hands, all the right equipment, and most of all, experience with soldering. Knowledge of why flux works, and why it is so important to be used in small projects like this cannot be overstated. Please, don't kill your switch, this isn't r/techgore, we don't want to see photos of your ripped traces and your tears stained on the motherboard...

This warning would be completely enough to kill any confidence that I would've had if I ever attempted to do the hardmod.

That, and the list of required stuff is quite long and lists a lot of VERY, VERY specific stuff that can be hard or plain impossible to obtain depending on your country. At least the resistors that it lists are at a somewhat common value (50Ω) and aren't very specific, but when it gets to stuff like the soldering tips or even the wire, it's one very specific product and considering how many types of copper wires or tips exist...
It is basically just saying you should have some solder experience before trying it. It is put extremely plainly because a lot of people with no experience would likely try it and fail.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It is basically just saying you should have some solder experience before trying it. It is put extremely plainly because a lot of people with no experience would likely try it and fail.
nah if you have a good amount of switches and modchips you dont need any experience you will get it by failing

• Haha
Reactions: BigOnYa and Dee87

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That means the warnings are working. Because that means you don't have the skills needed to overcome the challenge of a hardmod.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The people who are confident in doing this stuff after reading that are either
1) confident for good reason because they have the knowledge, experience and equipment necessary
2) the kind of person who feels confident without it being justified, who have a high likelihood of making a mess of the installation, and requiring the assistance of a 1) type person to fix it.

The only good options are paying person type 1) to do the mod, or actually acquiring all the skills/equipment/gear necessary to genuinely become person type 1)

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The warning is there because watching an experienced person do something makes that something look easy. The reality is that the person doing the thing has likely done it a number of times and learned from both mistakes and successes.

What makes you feel confident about other things you do or have done? Same difference. The point is to discourage people who have never touched a soldering iron before but think they can simply buy the Switch, modchip, iron and successfully mod their Switch.

On the other hand, if you have soldering experience and can work with very small solder points, have at it.

Third option. You want to learn. GREAT! Just don't learn on your Switch. Get a broken piece of electronic equipment and see if you can add/remove components and wires. Next get a working piece of inexpensive electronic equipment and see if you can add/remove wires or components without breaking it. If you've worked through all that and still don't feel like you can mod a Switch keep practicing/looking for advice. No one learns how to do things without trying.

Last edited by l7777,

Deleted member 681657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Only buy the equipment and learn if you intend to open your own business. If you only want a modchip in your own Switch then pay someone to install it or buy a pre-modded one.

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only buy the equipment and learn if you intend to open your own business. If you only want a modchip in your own Switch then pay someone to install it or buy a pre-modded one.
Disagree. In the age of the microchip and integrated circuits, soldering is a fine skill to learn for anyone. If right to repair laws make it easier to get ahold of schematics and components, fixing your own electronics will become a thing again. Unless you like to pay $$$$ for someone to replace entire modules on your microwave/computer/tv/game console/car rather than the actual broken component. And that assumes that the completed modules are available which in the age of supply chain shortages isn't a guarantee either.

Reactions: rull_bull

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Disagree. In the age of the microchip and integrated circuits, soldering is a fine skill to learn for anyone. If right to repair laws make it easier to get ahold of schematics and components, fixing your own electronics will become a thing again. Unless you like to pay $$$$ for someone to replace entire modules on your microwave/computer/tv/game console/car rather than the actual broken component. And that assumes that the completed modules are available which in the age of supply chain shortages isn't a guarantee either.
Depends what kind of meticulous work is required. Though I disagree with your notion. One should at least have the bare minimum of knowledge on how circuit works. Whether an expert or a hobbyist both can fuck up even with knowledge.

For OLED modding, if the Switch OLED was properly thought through it would be very hard to be modded by everyone without a proper workstation since a perma adapter would be a requirement. This would discourage the average user and would have been overall better for everyone since only qualified people would do it for the most part. Instead you see crapload of users bricking devices left and right only to buy new ones and increasing the profit of said company.

A-Hacked-Soul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my soldering skills from this mod, but I did a ton of research before hand and watched a lot of videos. I also did it on a switch lite I didnt care for.

rookiesearcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my soldering skills from this mod, but I did a ton of research before hand and watched a lot of videos. I also did it on a switch lite I didnt care for.
I think I'm going to follow you with this. I have no experience, but I definitely think I can learn to have the skill for this. Could you tell me what kind of flux you used for this? All the other components seem straightforward, but that's the one that's got me boggled.

rull_bull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It’s really not that bad if you’ve installed any recent mod chips. Specifically anything for the Xbox 360. I did an RGH and right after tackled my V1 switch and installed a trinket m0

(Yes I know they aren’t modchips but it works for this discussion lol)

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm going to follow you with this. I have no experience, but I definitely think I can learn to have the skill for this. Could you tell me what kind of flux you used for this? All the other components seem straightforward, but that's the one that's got me boggled.

At MINIMUM you will need a microscope and temperature controlled soldering iron. If you don't have those two things, just pay someone else to do it. The odds you will need them again is slim and you'll probably save about half the $ (or more)

1707256972067.png

• Love
Reactions: BigOnYa

rookiesearcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At MINIMUM you will need a microscope and temperature controlled soldering iron. If you don't have those two things, just pay someone else to do it. The odds you will need them again is slim and you'll probably save about half the $ (or more)

View attachment 418575
Yep, buying a LCD soldering iron is on my list, currently buying a possibly moddable v1 switch off ebay listed as for parts to figure out the problem and fix for 30$. If it is moddable, then great, I saved myself 40$ of buying all the stuff to install a modchip. If not, then I can try to install the modchip without worrying about screwing over my only switch. I'm still young and have good eyes, do I truly need a microscope? Would a magnifying glass work? I have a 3rd hand helper with alligator clips and a magnifying glass already for electronics, will that work?
Post automatically merged:

Oh, thank you. Does the type of flux matter much? And will having the flux be in a syringe/pen help me much?

Last edited by rookiesearcher,

A-Hacked-Soul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used a flux pen to be precise with the application of the flux.

rull_bull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yep, buying a LCD soldering iron is on my list, currently buying a possibly moddable v1 switch off ebay listed as for parts to figure out the problem and fix for 30$. If it is moddable, then great, I saved myself 40$ of buying all the stuff to install a modchip. If not, then I can try to install the modchip without worrying about screwing over my only switch. I'm still young and have good eyes, do I truly need a microscope? Would a magnifying glass work? I have a 3rd hand helper with alligator clips and a magnifying glass already for electronics, will that work?

Oh, thank you. Does the type of flux matter much? And will having the flux be in a syringe/pen help me much?
You have some things to figure out before you attemp this.

1: research the soldering iron you are going to buy. Just because it has a LCD screen dosent mean it is good.
My Ersa Analog 60 still kicks my other soldering irons ass.

2: you are not going to fix a switch sold as parts without any soldering/electronic experince.
Do you even have a multimeter?

3: as above, if you never did some soldering, then soldering without scope is a no go.
With lots of experince and lots of hours soldering, no problem. But for a beginner, no.

4: Yes, flux matters. It is the same as a good quality iron and quality solder. Cheap out on one of the 3 and you could have problems.

Reactions: SonyUSA

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Do not buy that Switch. It was probably blown up by a cheap charger and it could have taken out 1-3 major components that you will have to source and replace without even knowing if that will fix it.

I'm seeing crazy numbers of switches for sale right now in facebook market and local 'yard sale' pages. Check there first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto