Hacking The ban, what is known... That everyone's ignoring. The FACTS

Redirr

X11 Extreme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How you guys can be so blind?

Our beloved hackers do things we thought was impossible back in days when 3DS and Wii U were launched. Today we got boot9, most advanced progress in 3DS scene.
So if our dear hackers can do this kind of level modifications. Don't you really think Nintendo could create (developed) a small check tools. That can scan and say "look, this console god hacked, modified and are playing ilegal games"

Forget Spotpass, freeshop etc etc etc.

So why only feel peoples got banned? Simple. let ban some random identified hacked console and see how comunity will behavior. So we will check if we didn't affect legal clients or how they will react etc.
Maybe took a long process and time to Nintendo be sure what was supose to be done.

I believe Nintendo got tired of trying protect they "non hacked device" and seem that comunity hast reach this level with boot9 it's time to take some serios action.
I do know a lot of friend that love play online. But if it's possible to play with free ilegal games, why bother paying for original games. Now they will buy just to play online. Like i did with my Wii U. I have 2 wii u, one to play online and another one to play "pirates" games.

If nintendo take serios actions against online plays in hacked consoles, will be effective. People will buy original games or even a no hacked console to play online. Like i did with my 2 PSvita, 2 Wii U and 2 3DS XL.

Reactions: KitsuneSama

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
Bans are probably being made using machine learning, which is why there isn't a consistent variable (other than CFW).

Factors that probably weigh heavily on whether or not you're flagged:

1. Title sharing via friend list :yay3ds:
2. SpotPass enabled :yay3ds:
3. Suspicious eShop activity :yay3ds:
4. Out of region online activity :yay3ds:

Probably not much you can do. Bans will most likely come in waves. This data has probably been collected for some time now.
:yay3ds: = CHECK.

Come to think of it, I heard of this banwave around the 23rd or 24th but I played online those days just fine but I think the evening on the 24th my LED blinked and one of my friends were online for the first time since forever. I was playing AC:NL, a game I own on my european 3DS XL, but on my european New 3DS which I was playing it on I have a FreeShop-downloaded US copy, and B9S with Rom Patching enabled as well as the "GC AC Music" mod. I checked for presents and updates in the Post Office where the NPC said something like "It looks like the service isn't available" so I wondered if I had been banned. I went to me train station to open the gates (AKA enable Wi-Fi in the game) and it worked fine. I could also check for open faraway towns just fine. No problems there at all. I think I had installed 11.4 System Update the same day btw. I upgraded from A9LH 4-5 days prior to this IIRC.

The 25th I booted up the game, went to the dream suite to update my town which I haven't done since installing the Amiibo update to the game, and there it went; Error 002-something "Your 3DS system has been restricted from using Nintendo's online services".

I also installed FE Echoes, EU version via FreeShop about a week earlier and I also downloaded all Home Menu themes via FreeShop.

After the ban I went to System Settings and found the SpotPass settings. Enabling automatic notifications and updates was OFF but the "Share System Information" option was ON.

Maybe it WAS random, and Nintendo is just limiting as many of the few remaining 3DS users they can legally to get them to buy a Switch.

Last edited by linkenski,

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only true fact is that we're all scummy little pirate bastards, have nothing to say in the matter and we deserve what's coming to us! Right? I'm not joking either.

Jakku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The only true fact is that we're all scummy little pirate bastards, have nothing to say in the matter and we deserve what's coming to us! Right? I'm not joking either.

It can be used for things other than piracy you know. Personally I was in it for the japanese translation patches for stuff like Terry's Wonderland, and being region free.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

No... This is by far one of the more retarded posts in this thread. I'm not joking either.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Please if you're giving input, use your brain, we don't need ANOTHER flooded thread where people aren't working together

So why did you create one? All the most valuable information regarding these bans is being regularly updated in the OP in the thread on the front page.
There only needs to be one thread dealing with this, rather than the same repeated questions and dumb theories duplicated over a dozen threads... of which this is one.

jmhannz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So why did you create one? All the most valuable information regarding these bans is being regularly updated in the OP in the thread on the front page.
There only needs to be one thread dealing with this, rather than the same repeated questions and dumb theories duplicated over a dozen threads... of which this is one.
This thread was created before that thread was ever updated, if you check post times. This was to determine the obvious which people were ignoring and flooding the other thread on.

andremiles

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Maybe this is random on purpose, for us to not identify what's triggering the ban. We need to look up on only the BANNED consoles, what they have installed, their activity log, spotpass/streetpass on, etc. But only on the banned consoles.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This thread was created before that thread was ever updated, if you check post times. This was to determine the obvious which people were ignoring and flooding the other thread on.
No. It wasn't. This thread was created after the other thread had been updated at least 4 times. The other thread doesn't show edit times, as it's a staff post. It only shows the time the thread was created... over 14hrs before this one.

Reactions: peteruk

c4388354

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My theory is they are using your play history of 'e-shop exclusive' games and cross referencing with your purchase history,
I mean, if you are playing an 'eshop exclusive' game you must have purchased it, right?...
They can't do this check using games that are also released on a game card as an 'eshop' and 'game card' game probably looks the same to them.
My question is, have you played any 'eshop exclusive' games online recently that aren't free-to-play?

jmhannz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. It wasn't. This thread was created after the other thread had been updated at least 4 times. The other thread doesn't show edit times, as it's a staff post. It only shows the time the thread was created... over 14hrs before this one.
correct, and if you FOLLOWED it throughout the day, the "What we know" wasn't there until yesterday evening, and this thread already existed. But thanks for continuing to bump this thread.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
correct, and if you FOLLOWED it throughout the day, the "What we know" wasn't there until yesterday evening, and this thread already existed. But thanks for continuing to bump this thread.
Yes, I did follow it throughout the day, and it provided as much (if not more) relevant information than this thread - even four hours before you created this thread.
Where are these 'Facts' you speak of in your grammatically piss-poor thread title?
I've read your OP two or three times now, and not found any facts... just vagueness and contradictions. No facts. No definitive "this causes the ban", or even "it is believed that you're more likely to be banned if...". No, just the same crap that was already spread over a few hundred thread pages divided between at least ten threads.

So, yes, it seems that I did follow ALL the threads dealing with these bans throughout the day yesterday moreso than you obviously did, because I didn't feel the need to create yet another thread to inflate my post count/sense of self worth, or to add to the spreading of speculation like cancer over multiple threads while not actually providing any new information.

jmhannz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I did follow it throughout the day, and it provided as much (if not more) relevant information than this thread - even four hours before you created this thread.
Where are these 'Facts' you speak of in your grammatically piss-poor thread title?
I've read your OP two or three times now, and not found any facts... just vagueness and contradictions. No facts. No definitive "this causes the ban", or even "it is believed that you're more likely to be banned if...". No, just the same crap that was already spread over a few hundred thread pages divided between at least ten threads.

So, yes, it seems that I did follow ALL the threads dealing with these bans throughout the day yesterday moreso than you obviously did, because I didn't feel the need to create yet another thread to inflate my post count/sense of self worth, or to add to the spreading of speculation like cancer over multiple threads while not actually providing any new information.
yet you continue to waste your time posting a reply to this bumping this thread and increasing your post count. Thank you for your input :-)

aaronz77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've hacked 3 out of my 4 consoles in the past week. The first one I hacked is banned. It was a newly purchased Mario Kart 2DS. No Nintendo ID linked to it. The o3ds is a pawn shop special ( not banned yet ) and my primary n3dsXL with my Nintendo ID and an ass ton of eShop credit attached to it ( not banned yet ).

Obviously I've done more fiddling with the first system I hacked (2DS) but I honestly believe Nintendo has been collecting data and making a 'naughty list' it's only a matter of time before all three of my systems are flagged and banned. It's just like downloading torrents without a VPN sometimes you get caught sometimes you don't, it just depends on when they're watching you.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I dont know if this has been ruled out. But after I unbanned myself AND turned off spotpass I havent been banned since. Is this just correlation or is there any evidence of causation?

Squee777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has probably been asked but... Any chance we can use custom online servers like on Wii and DS now that sighax/boot9strap is out? I know this will take some work. but this will be possible eventually... right? Sorry if idk what I'm talking about. Maybe just wishful thinking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D