Homebrew Tekken DS Project (Recruiting Coders)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
C & ASM FTW! I don't know that much of ASM, but the language itself is quite fun (and scary when you just begun with it hehe)
ASM is like having a conversation with someone who's speaking suahili (The CPU).

It's such a low-level language that even if you know it, you can only hope that the person you're talking with will interpret what you're saying the same way you intended him to. :P At least that's my impression when looking at snippets - all I can say is "I am confusenerded". I much prefere C - atleast it can be understood by anyone with moderate understanding of English lol.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
C & ASM FTW! I don't know that much of ASM, but the language itself is quite fun (and scary when you just begun with it hehe)
ASM is like having a conversation with someone who's speaking suahili (The CPU).

It's such a low-level language that even if you know it, you can only hope that the person you're talking with will interpret what you're saying the same way you intended him to. :P At least that's my impression when looking at snippets - all I can say is "I am confusenerded". I much prefere C - atleast it can be understood by anyone with moderate understanding of English lol.

But ASM is for macho people! And i wanna bee a macho!

Also, what could be sexier than YOU telling the cpu "here you got this portion of ram, you do this, this and that using this instruction, you'll use that register, and the other will do something else".

Now I see the power a CPU can achieve by just tweaking and re-using cpu registers/ram. And that's something much better than what "C virtual machine" could do, but it's hard AND not impossible

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

But ASM is for macho people! And i wanna bee a macho!

Also, what could be sexier than YOU telling the cpu "here you got this portion of ram, you do this, this and that using this instruction, you'll use that register, and the other will do something else".

Now I see the power a CPU can achieve by just tweaking and re-using cpu registers/ram. And that's something much better than what "C virtual machine" could do, but it's hard AND not impossible
You know what's more matcho?

"fopen that text file, fread it into this buffer and then printf that shit on the screen, right now. I ain't got time with your bullshit and I don't care how you do it - do it before the next VBlank because I said so - you're MY BITCH, remember that!"

C FTW.

By the way, C Virtual Machine? Who uses that? You crazy, this ain't Java lol. C is compiled into native code. ;)

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

"fopen that text file, fread it into this buffer and then printf that shit on the screen, right now. I ain't got time with your bullshit and I don't care how you do it - do it before the next VBlank because I said so - you're MY BITCH, remember that!"

C FTW.

By the way, C Virtual Machine? Who uses that? You crazy, this ain't Java lol. C is compiled into native code. ;)

And I guess how the compiled reuses C TO COMPILE C XD. It uses the arquitecture CPU ASM

FOPEN what, you just access that offset, split the data read into small buffers using a certain instruction, you REUSE the RAM you used last, and you can even use multiple CPU registers if available to improve performance

.DEF bitfive $00000005
.DEF thisone, R13
LDI thisone, bitfive
MOV thisone, bitfive

i'm just learning anyway

edit: seems the register R16+ allow loading constants inmediately xD

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

C FTW.

And I guess how the compiled reuses C TO COMPILE C XD. It uses the arquitecture CPU ASM

FOPEN what, you just access that offset, split the data read into small buffers using a certain instruction, you REUSE the RAM you used last, and you can even use multiple CPU registers if available to improve performance

.DEF bitfive $00000005
.DEF thisone, R13
LDI thisone, bitfive
MOV thisone, bitfive

i'm just learning anyway
What I meant was that by using C you can pretty much forget about memory allocation issues because it's mostly done automatically and you don't have to be particularily bothered with them and focus on your main goal. ;)

For me it's the perfect middle-ground. It's low enough to allow hardware-specific manipulation but high enough not to be bothered by those when you don't have to.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I friendly agree, the problem is, when you want to speak directly with hardware, you'll have to learn ASM anyway... im afraid. In fact, I though C is a great frontend when you want to show the user something, but weirdly when I started looking at
this

I needed to learn ASM at least to understand how circuitry AND computers interact. It's fun but give some headaches

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
are you doing this as a ds homebrew or as a pc game (currently) because if you think that starting doing it on pc will be helpful and can be ported, well i don't think so...

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
are you doing this as a ds homebrew or as a pc game (currently) because if you think that starting doing it on pc will be helpful and can be ported, well i don't think so...

Isn't this contradicting with the posts in this topic though? I mean, people are telling him to learn a PC programming language and then tackle the ds and now you're telling him not to do it this way. It's actually a good thing that he's going to make the game for the pc first, so that he has at least a bit of experience with making games. Heck, some people even port some parts of their code from pc to the ds to save time, some ds emulators have done this for example.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Isn't this contradicting with the posts in this topic though? I mean, people are telling him to learn a PC programming language and then tackle the ds and now you're telling him not to do it this way. It's actually a good thing that he's going to make the game for the pc first, so that he has at least a bit of experience with making games. Heck, some people even port some parts of their code from pc to the ds to save time, some ds emulators have done this for example.
C, C++ ans ASM are all languages that can be used on just about any platform. It's only a matter of which platform the compiler will compile the code for. Most homebrew is programmed in C/C++ due to its simplicity, Firmwares for flashcarts are mostly programmed in ASM due to superior Hardware access it provides.

So yeah, I'm assuming he can just as well start from the DS.

iSubaru

Kitsune
Trophies
Website
clash-of-gods.netau.net
XP
Country
Poland
That was not your point. Your point was "It's more limited" wheras the only limit you proved is the laziness of the creators. If a project is cancelled then it's cancelled, but not due to hardware limitations, mister.
Moreover, there's quite a bit of titles that are Homebrewed on the DS and could easily rival commercial games.
...if it will go any futher I will start Pokemon-alike project...probably I will end up with giving up quickly but will count as one x3
Tough I agree there

manuel1984 - well...ok maybe that statement will be ok
RPG Maker > Game Maker
in a value of light years

Scary the monster but that monster can eat up a lot of unnecessary things and "convert" them to shorter and easier =3
Like they say in B&G Comic
"Yes I was a programmer...and a very damn good one!"
"It took me 5 hours to decipher Dr. Willy's programming!"
"and it was 60000 lines of BASIC!"
"I have converted them to 5000...in ASSEMBLER!!!"

I friendly agree, the problem is, when you want to speak directly with hardware, you'll have to learn ASM anyway...
Agreed without hestitation

C, C++ ans ASM are all languages that can be used on just about any platform. (...) So yeah, I'm assuming he can just as well start from the DS.

As long as "clean" C/C++ goes...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: 4th wife