Tutorial  Updated

system transfer from one 3ds to cfw 3ds

ok i have found i have had to tell many people about this and there wasn't a tut to really cover this. i found the fix after googling for a while and finding a fairly old reddit post.

going to kind of be a shit tut but should be noob friendly.

generic warning: I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your system, saves, games, first born, pc, or anything else :P

requirements:

[source 3ds] 3ds, cfw or stock but on newest fw(this system will be formatted after the transfer finishes)
[target 3ds] 3ds, with cfw that is on the newest fw(not sure if a9lh needs this but other entry points do)
optional: new sd card for target system.
optional: back up all your saves using a save manager.(so if something doesn't transfer you have the saves. i recommend http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-jks-savemanager-homebrew-cia-save-manager.413143/
a pc to transfer from one sd card to another

videos:
o3ds to n3ds:

o3ds to o3ds:

follow the video until the end. if upgrading to a bigger card and or from a full size sd card to a micro one. make sure to transfer the files when IT tells you to. if you're already using a micro sd card in your o3ds with an adapter you can just put it in the n3ds.

if you are bringing the sd card from the target system to the new system and are using an emunand you will need to inject the emunand from the target system to the sd card.
if coming from an o3ds to a n3ds you will have to have emunand9 reset up the sd card(this will format the card so have a back up) as the nand sizes are different and then inject the emunand. there are already tuts for this so i wont be adding it.
you will also have to reinstall menuhax if you are using it as it will be for the source system and not the target system

after it has finished and you have transferred the files to the new sd card or the sd card to the new system and rebooted, it will error out, this is normal and why I'm writing this.

how to fix it.

1: kill wifi
- if the target system is an o3ds just turn it off with the switch
- if target system is a n3ds you have to turn your router off or disable wifi on it

2: reboot the system, let it try and fail again. it will now give you the option to cancel the transfer(don't worry). select cancel, once you are on the home menu turn wifi back on.

3: enter the eshop. it will take a while to load, it is finishing up the transfer, once the eshop fully loads its done.

4: ..........

5: profit

all your bought games and saves will be transferred and so will your nnid. legit cias will kind of transfer, they wont show up but are still there. just reinstall(it wont take up 2x space so don't worry) and they will show up with your saves. i am not sure about non legit ones as i didn't have any at the time. that's why i said its a good idea to use a save manager first.

a few notes
this may not be needed with a9lh sysnand or emunand, i did the transfer while using menuhax.
i have done this from o3ds to n3ds, and 2ds to o3ds.

Last edited by pbanj,

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know...when I did the transfer I did it from o3ds Sysnand to o3ds Emunand
The source o3ds had a 16GB SD card and was unhacked the target was a 03ds XL with 64gb SD and Emunand with Rxtools
I completed the transfer
Until it asked me to use the source SD card into the target System
I copied the Nintendo 3ds and DCIM folder of the source 3ds from a backup I had done previously to the transfer
I noticed when doing that that the target 3ds already had a random letters and numbers folder named the same as the one in my o3ds but empty probably created by the transfer...so the files all went into it...
I put back the Sd card into the target 3ds
Switched it on and resumed the transfer from there
I don't know if it is different in your case

From what I see in the video tutorial included...you should
-Back up o3ds SD card content
- start the transfer asking for a PC based transfer
- Copy the Nintendo 3ds folder from the o3DS Sd backup to the Micro SD card in the New Nintendo 3ds
- Put the micro SD back in the New Nintendo 3ds
- restart new 3ds...

Last edited by Amapola62,

DoHxBoY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, just to clarify because I am still trying to learn all the proper terms.. o3ds Sysnand refers to a stock O3DS, and o3ds Emunand refers to a fully hacked O3DS(such as full A9LH like we are running now, fully installed)?

I just get confused when someone mentions Emunand because I am not sure if that is the same thing as having a full A9LH set up.

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
From what I see in the video tutorial included...you should
-Back up o3ds SD card content
- start the transfer asking for a PC based transfer
- Copy the Nintendo 3ds folder from the o3DS Sd backup to the Micro SD card in the New Nintendo 3ds
- Put the micro SD back in the New Nintendo 3ds
- restart new 3ds...

Sysnand is the internal chip of the 3ds. Emunand is an emulated version of that in an SD card as a secret partition.
When you have a complete stock system you use sysnand since you can't create an Emunand since it uses tool which need kernel access which is blocked above 9.2. And when you finish Plailect's guide it also uses sysnand because the system is hacked/patched a few miliseconds after boot and an Emunand is no longer necessary to have access to hacks...Simplifying a lot there...

So when you transfer from an unhacked 3ds at 11.0 to an A9LH New 3ds I think you can just follow the 3 min 25 video about o3ds to new 3ds system transfer...
Or just what I have written on top of this message...

Last edited by Amapola62,

DoHxBoY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only additional step I realized needed to be done after the transfer is reinjecting FBI to H&S so I can actually reinstall the FBI.cia.

Other than that, it went perfect just following the video and doing a normal transfer :D

Yay! Now time to really have fun and dive into this bad boy!

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah I noticed it too when I did the transfer that it deleted the FBI cia I had on my emunand...XD If you had other non legal games on your n3ds you would have had to reinstall them too...

DoHxBoY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I noticed it too when I did the transfer that it deleted the FBI cia I had on my emunand...XD If you had other non legal games on your n3ds you would have had to reinstall them too...

Didn't have anything outside of Pailect's guide installed thankfully, so I just reinstalled those few CIAs.

Now though... I'm going on an installation rampage :D

At least, as much of a rampage as I can with an 8GB card :( My 32gb arrives tomorrow though :D

When I get that card, it's a simple FAT32 format on the PC and copy the files over right? Didn't seem to be anything special mentioned in any guides.

Last edited by DoHxBoY,

tobias89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
any tips onto transferring between either:
1. o3ds (a9lh) to n3ds (stock firmware).
2. o3ds (A9LH) to non-modded n3ds.

Thanks in advance!

eworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I plan on performing a system transfer from a Old3DS (11.0) with no CFW to a A9LH New3DS configured according to Plailtect's famous guide (so a CFW SysNAND) and I want to make absolutely sure I know what to do. Correct me if I'm wrong on any little thing:

1. Back up my software saves in case they disappear during transfer.
2. Update the New3DS to 11.0, matching the Old3DS.
3. Back up the contents of both SD cards.
4. Perform a system transfer as normal, using the PC-based option.
- Will I encounter any "merge or not" dillema? If so, should I merge or not?
5. After receiving an error upon the new system being rebooted, kill my router and reboot again.
6. Receive an error again and choose NOT to cancel the transfer when given the option.
7. Revive the WiFi and run eShop.
8. Done, the system should have been properly transferred.

Is that how I do it?

eworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Excuse my double-posting, a little update on my transfer - it went without a hitch! Better yet, I didn't have to deal with ANY "merge or not" issues (my N3DS had no "jumbled" folder in the "Nintendo3DS" folder) or any errors (none occurred, the transfer was successful) or Wi-Fi killing. My games are here, my saves are here and my eShop account is here. A9LH permahax is absolutely amazing.

The only downside is I had to inject FBI again and reinstall the few CIAs I had from the tutorial (FBI itself and HomebrewLauncher). That's like 2 minutes tops. Small price to pay for retaining everything on my new Can-Do-Anything System.

Reactions: utingme

bobblethebuilder

Trophies
XP
Country
is there any way to transfer games from a cfw 2ds to a stock 3ds xl? I want to play the games on a bigger screen and accidentally updated to 11.3 on the 3ds. I want the cfw 2ds to be the source and a non-cfw 3ds xl as the target? Is this possible? Help would be much appreciated.

MewtwoFanz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to do this with the Source System being the CFW 3DS and the Target System Being a Stock System?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here