Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
gallery_111084_186_57704.jpg

Many gamers may remember the isometric view real-time-strategy known as Syndicate. Recently EA and developer Starbreeze announced that the reboot would be a 1st person shooter. It goes without saying that many nostalgic gamers cringed a bit, yet according to the developers there is nothing to worry about. Syndicate's Executive Producer Jeff Gamon has told IGN that "the spirit of the previous titles is very much intact."

The game will continue to thrive in a cyberpunk future complete with cyborgs and evil corporations. While the idea of revamping these classic Syndicate elements were always on the back-burner, EA has been waiting for just the right time to move forward. After working hard to give the new game its own unique feel, Gamon has described the game as "somewhere between the slick, minimalist aesthetic of Mirror's Edge, with the futuristic look of classic futuristic films." After checking out some screen shots there is more than enough gorgeous graphics to get this old Syndicate player excited for the future of the series.

The cyberpunk future was a theme that thrived heavily in the late-80s to mid-90s. Syndicate tapped into the imagination of gamers by offering a full on thriving cyberpunk world for them to explore. Starbreeze is well aware of the cyberpunk roots and has worked hard to maintain the feeling of such a world. However, they openly admit that they never set out to remake the original game. We will have to wait until its release to see if it is just a great 1st person shooter or if it is a great update to the Syndicate series.

Read more about the game via the link below, and then let us know how you feel about the new Syndicate game.

icon11.gif
Source

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Loved Syndicate Wars back in the day just watched the trailer for this on my 360 and it looks pretty awesome. Will definatley be picking this game up.
I think this gen is only just starting to reach it's peak, games like this show how much it's come along since 360 launched.
Also watched the new DmC trailer which is also looking fantastic I think it's great Capcom have outsourced it to Ninja Theory, it needed a fresh take.

Reactions: 1 person

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes , that is what we need.... more of first person shooters :glare: . These pieces of of crap,make up about 80% of all the present available games. :angry:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's no news mister.

I've already ranted about it on DS-Scene a good month ago, but since then... the idea kinda grew less nasty to me. I won't judge Syndicate by its cover - perhaps it won't be half as bad as we think it will.

Reactions: 2 people

BigLord

Trophies
XP
Country
But... what made Syndicate fun in the first place was its isometric view... and ability to control more than one guy at a time, commanding them... and even "persuading" civilians or cops!

I like the FPS genre, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

M

mario5555

You guys know as well as I do, if Syndicate was released tomorrow as a overhead view isometric strategy game it would bomb, period.

All I have hope on this game is that it is similar to Bioshock or Deus Ex and contains action but more, with some RGP-ish embellishments thrown in for good measure. Instead of a straight out action-a-thon, which will seriously hurt it if they fail to take advantage of the IP like they should.

geminisama

Metsu
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Not exactly news, but I'm excited. Was a huge fan of syndicate wars, and while I'm wishing it could have been the same format, I don't mind it becoming a FPS because it looks like it could be FUN. I won't sit here and cry about fps' just because they're common and popular, like most people in this thread, I'll actually give it a chance.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
The topic is a bit mis-leading, it's way more than just another FPS. If you watch the developer interviews or the trailer on live you will see all the diferent classes and ways to play.
I agree with mario5555, if this was released as an RTS it wouldn't sell anywhere near enough copies to recoup it's money.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Damned be this generation. Killing classic after classic. First X-Com converted to an FPS, now this?

Screw this, I'm gonna just replay the old ones.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey, this is news to me.
Not everyone read all internets, so thanks for posting this.

I loved syndicate on my amiga.
I didn't expect to see a new release from this franchise, but making it an FPS?
I guess it's the current selling genre, so they are using it.

I won't be interested :(

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This news is a bit old, but whatever.

I don't mind FPS's; they're a great genre, and can be the most immersive when handled well. I do, however, have a problem with slapping the name of an old, beloved franchise onto a new game for the sake of capitalizing on the fans (*cough* X-COM *cough*). It's an obvious and shameless ploy, and it's sad because this game could genuinely be great on its own; no matter how good the game is, it will never be able to stand on its own.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the news and everything well I mean I wasn't on the news.... Just they where having "technical difficulties" lol
    +1
    Was just one single custom packet. I miss when Internet security was an afterthought lol almost all modems and network hardware operated in promiscuous mode.
    Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol
    They did end up using some of my stuff in the first Gulf war though lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GUYS I JUST COMMENTED A YOUR MOM JOKE ON A GACHA YT COMMUNITY POST (the algorithm has cursed me in terms of community posts, bc I fuck around on that sort of community post, just commenting and being a jackass)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT FELT SO GOOD
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the OP made a couple vocaloid characters, and the post had the caption "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: they're from vocaloid"
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    to which I responded:
    "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: it's uremum"
    +1
    I studied IPV6 if they hadn't passed the cyber terrorism laws omg.... In theory I have some awesome pranks but I'm afraid to test them lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I studied IPV6 if they hadn't passed the cyber terrorism laws omg.... In theory I have some...