• Replies 793
  • Likes 32

Volkaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I thought you were overclocking gpu to 1690, was gonna tell you to get a fire extinguisher
No, no. Just listing my speedo values. Since I have no clue what constitutes a good speedo or not. Trying to gauge how my switch will fare using higher clocks before I actually apply them.

meha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Wanting to jump back into this. Before I start pushing it past the base sys clk config, I do have a question about the speedo number. Searching hasn't turned up much. For a Mariko unit what is considered a good number there?
I'm a bit concerned already about my thermals.
During heavy load in TotK at 1785/921/1600 I push 45-50c, while I've heard others barely go above 35-40 with similar OCs.
My reported speedo in hekate are 1677 cpu, 1690 gpu, and 1696 SoC. Any insight on how that stacks up is appreciated, thanks!
you have good speedo vals. higher speedo means your final voltage can be lower, so more higher clocks is possible

Reactions: Volkaru

Nakamichi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
what exactly do the speedo values tell us?
ive heard the term before but so far havent been able to find anything on its meaning.

Insan1ty_0ne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me what OC settings are best to use on an Erista (v1 Switch) if you are looking to get the maximum FPS but not hit the board power limit? This is assuming the unit is docked, powered via. an official charger, and has the thermal paste replaced.

I read that running the "max" CPU, GPU, and MEM clocks (1785/921/1600) all at the same time on Erista causes too much power draw. According to CTCaer, the Erista hits its board power limit at 1785/768/1600 at 100% load and 5% Backlight + Wifi on + 50% Fan Speed.

A few users have stated that running their Erista at 1224/768/1862 works well and doesn't hit the power limit, but based on CTCaer's findings, we should be able to push things a bit further without hitting the limit. Overclocking the MEM causes barely any additional power consumption, and I have also seen users reporting that 1996 MEM is stable on Erista. So perhaps increasing the CPU / MEM clocks to something like 1428/768/1996, while leaving the GPU clock alone, would be closer to the theoretical "max stable" OC for Erista?

Thoughts?

Volkaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Setting this up. Running the kip config now. I had a quick question about the DRAM timing option. I have a Mariko unit that, according to the HW & Fuses Info page in Hekate is the LPDDR4X RAM. Do I want to Select 1 for this setting;

"1: AUTO_ADJ_MARIKO_4266: Auto adjust timings for LPDDR4X 4266 Mbps specs, 8Gb density."

Even if I don't plan on ever pushing RAM past 1966? Or do I want to leave it on the default setting?

Last edited by Volkaru,

meha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Setting this up. Running the kip config now. I had a quick question about the DRAM timing option. I have a Mariko unit that, according to the HW & Fuses Info page in Hekate is the LPDDR4X RAM. Do I want to Select 1 for this setting;

"1: AUTO_ADJ_MARIKO_4266: Auto adjust timings for LPDDR4X 4266 Mbps specs, 8Gb density."

Even if I don't plan on ever pushing RAM past 1966? Or do I want to leave it on the default setting?
0 and 1 both uses calculated timings, not real timings. only difference is 1 uses timings from 4266 specs to calculate, so might result better performance. you can try whatever option. 2 does not calculate timings so best performance but might not work if your ram is not good
Post automatically merged:

Can anyone tell me what OC settings are best to use on an Erista (v1 Switch) if you are looking to get the maximum FPS but not hit the board power limit? This is assuming the unit is docked, powered via. an official charger, and has the thermal paste replaced.

I read that running the "max" CPU, GPU, and MEM clocks (1785/921/1600) all at the same time on Erista causes too much power draw. According to CTCaer, the Erista hits its board power limit at 1785/768/1600 at 100% load and 5% Backlight + Wifi on + 50% Fan Speed.

A few users have stated that running their Erista at 1224/768/1862 works well and doesn't hit the power limit, but based on CTCaer's findings, we should be able to push things a bit further without hitting the limit. Overclocking the MEM causes barely any additional power consumption, and I have also seen users reporting that 1996 MEM is stable on Erista. So perhaps increasing the CPU / MEM clocks to something like 1428/768/1996, while leaving the GPU clock alone, would be closer to the theoretical "max stable" OC for Erista?

Thoughts?
if you are really worried about power draws, just stick to official hos clocks. but 1224/768 should be absolutely okay since that's clock speed for sdev unit

Volkaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0 and 1 both uses calculated timings, not real timings. only difference is 1 uses timings from 4266 specs to calculate, so might result better performance. you can try whatever option. 2 does not calculate timings so best performance but might not work if your ram is not good

if you are really worried about power draws, just stick to official hos clocks. but 1224/768 should be absolutely okay since that's clock speed for sdev unit
Thanks, that clears it up a bit. Which one would you recommend I choose, then? Since you've seen my speedo.

MSco

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
atmosphere has been updated to 1.5.3. Will we have to wait for a new release of this oc suite before updating atmosphere or can we just use the 1.5.2 release?

meha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
atmosphere has been updated to 1.5.3. Will we have to wait for a new release of this oc suite before updating atmosphere or can we just use the 1.5.2 release?
I'm not sure of compatibility, you can try if it works or not.

But I am going to release new versions as soon as I get back from travel. (this weekend)

Thanks, that clears it up a bit. Which one would you recommend I choose, then? Since you've seen my speedo.
use 2 and see if it works.
ps) anyways i'm thinking of implementing new feature that reads ram info and calculate timings based on actual hw. but this feature should take some time

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Thoughts?
It depends on the game.
I.e. Zelda TotK uses dynamic resolution scaling, so after the memory OC to reduce FPS stutters, you should OC the GPU that it holds the resolution target more often.
I´m using 1224/921/1862 on Erista.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thoughts?
sigh I really need do conclusive power tests. 1.2ghz 768 is fine, its not over any power limits, you can get away with 1.2 921 but depending on load it will go over 18W

Insan1ty_0ne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not worried about power consumption at all, playing TotK at 1785/768/1862 I never saw powerdraw of more than -0.4mv while docked. I just know that people say going above -1.0mv is bad for the battery longterm.

It depends on the game.
I.e. Zelda TotK uses dynamic resolution scaling, so after the memory OC to reduce FPS stutters, you should OC the GPU that it holds the resolution target more often.
I´m using 1224/921/1862 on Erista.
I think I will change to 1224/921/1862 for TotK then instead of 1785/768/1862. What games would you recommend running the CPU higher than the GPU? 2D games where resolution / 3D rendering isn't an issue?

sigh I really need do conclusive power tests. 1.2ghz 768 is fine, its not over any power limits, you can get away with 1.2 921 but depending on load it will go over 18W
What is the real concern with going over 18W TDP though? I know that Erista's TDP is 18W, but running the board slightly over 18W shouldn't cause any real damage in the long term, if the components are kept under 70C, except for maybe the battery. What is Mariko's TDP? I would think Erista should be able to handle the same TDP as Mariko without issue. However, I do think it would be very important to have conclusive stock and overclocked TDP statistics for Erista and Mariko both so that people know what the maximum "safe" overclock should be for their console.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not worried about power consumption at all, playing TotK at 1785/768/1862 I never saw powerdraw of more than -0.4mv while docked. I just know that people say going above -1.0mv is bad for the battery longterm.

I think I will change to 1224/921/1862 for TotK then instead of 1785/768/1862. What games would you recommend running the CPU higher than the GPU? 2D games where resolution / 3D rendering isn't an issue?

What is the real concern with going over 18W TDP though? I know that Erista's TDP is 18W, but running the board slightly over 18W shouldn't cause any real damage in the long term, if the components are kept under 70C, except for maybe the battery. What is Mariko's TDP? I would think Erista should be able to handle the same TDP as Mariko without issue. However, I do think it would be very important to have conclusive stock and overclocked TDP statistics for Erista and Mariko both so that people know what the maximum "safe" overclock should be for their console.
Every switch except for the lite is designed to draw 18W max, the lite only 12W. The main issue with Mariko is honestly the regulators, since nintendo screwed them over. Marikos are easier to burn out than Eristas believe it or not, since higher clocks increase the power draw on their regulators. The issue with going over is that it'll reduce the lifespan of the console pretty drastically. In mariko's case though, you would burn the power rails not the actual PMIC. In a perfect world, Mariko would have the same power delivery as Erista, but that's not the case. I've heard such a mod is possible but it is decently involved.

image.png

This is a graph for GPU power draw on Mariko. Its in amps, which the regulator is limited to 10A.

Insan1ty_0ne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every switch except for the lite is designed to draw 18W max, the lite only 12W. The main issue with Mariko is honestly the regulators, since nintendo screwed them over. Marikos are easier to burn out than Eristas believe it or not, since higher clocks increase the power draw on their regulators. The issue with going over is that it'll reduce the lifespan of the console pretty drastically. In mariko's case though, you would burn the power rails not the actual PMIC. In a perfect world, Mariko would have the same power delivery as Erista, but that's not the case. I've heard such a mod is possible but it is decently involved.

View attachment 370227
This is a graph for GPU power draw on Mariko. Its in amps, which the regulator is limited to 10A.
Interesting, so basically any GPU clocks above 921.6 on Mariko are dangerous for the voltage regulator. 998.4 is do-able, but flies too close to the sun for my taste. Unfortunately that means every post I've read where users are saying "if you want to overclock, Mariko is better" are incorrect. Just because Mariko has higher clock speeds available to it does not mean the board itself is "better" for overclocking. Your statement about the lower quality voltage regulators being used on Mariko boards is proof of that.

It would be awesome if in the future the Switch hardware gets reversed enough so that a "consolizer" could be made with stronger power delivery and the ability to mount an actual CPU cooler to the Tegra X1 so that you could actually push the chip to its limits safely without worrying it will burn up. Based on everything I've read, if the cooling and power delivery limitations were removed from the X1, it could easily exceed the maximum possible frequencies allowed by OC-Suite which are CPU: 2397, GPU: 1305, and MEM: 2131.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, so basically any GPU clocks above 921.6 on Mariko are dangerous for the voltage regulator. 998.4 is do-able, but flies too close to the sun for my taste. Unfortunately that means every post I've read where users are saying "if you want to overclock, Mariko is better" are incorrect. Just because Mariko has higher clock speeds available to it does not mean the board itself is "better" for overclocking. Your statement about the lower quality voltage regulators being used on Mariko boards is proof of that.

It would be awesome if in the future the Switch hardware gets reversed enough so that a "consolizer" could be made with stronger power delivery and the ability to mount an actual CPU cooler to the Tegra X1 so that you could actually push the chip to its limits safely without worrying it will burn up. Based on everything I've read, if the cooling and power delivery limitations were removed from the X1, it could easily exceed the maximum possible frequencies allowed by OC-Suite which are CPU: 2397, GPU: 1305, and MEM: 2131.
Even then another thing I didn't mention is binning plays a huge part on marikos
asdjfjlkjsadflkjahslekdjr.png

(This is from a really good bin)
Mariko is better for overclocking in the sense that things like 1.9/921 won't go over the limit, but higher pushes the regulators pretty hard. Its not even the board PMIC with Mariko, its the cpu/gpu regulators that are the limiting factor.

Soler37

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
can I use this with latest firmware? also, what does the 1.5.2 kip do? I have an older kip for 1862 on my Erista, not sure if I can keep using it or I need to replace with this one mentioned above?

Volkaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even then another thing I didn't mention is binning plays a huge part on marikos
View attachment 370410
(This is from a really good bin)
Mariko is better for overclocking in the sense that things like 1.9/921 won't go over the limit, but higher pushes the regulators pretty hard. Its not even the board PMIC with Mariko, its the cpu/gpu regulators that are the limiting factor.
Is there a way to easily test this myself to see where my switch falls? Or does it require using a multimeter?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one