Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

onelineprofileac

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I just took my SD card out to add more games on it and suddenly my 4.0+ Switch won't enter boot mode to load up SXOS, no matter what button combos I use. It doesn't even give me a Nintendo Switch logo. Am I boned?

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want a clear answer into something: I've been away from the scene for about 4 months and apparently a lot thing have changed.
Is there ANY case of people being banned for using homebrew in CFW mode?

I'm not going to hack further than that, but I'm kinda afraid that Nintendo may be using their banhammer a little too harshly.
Yes. You can get banned for doing anything with cfw. Check the pinned thread for more info.
I have a clean Nand backup and now i'm using ReiNX with some loaded backup games stored at the SD card with tinfoil. If i want to restore the clean Nand backup without losing my configurations and games on ReiNX, can i just copy/backup the content from the sd card? Then, later if i want to restore ReiNX i just put the files on the sd to use ReiNX without needing to reinstall all games backup with tinfoil? Or should i do a second Nand Backup for CFW?
AFAIK you'll have to reinstall everything, but make an SD card backup and backup your saves with jksv or something and you should be able to restore everything fairly quickly
With regards to staying offline to avoid a ban, I'm using sxos which has its own FTP, but there's also FTPD of course. Obviously to use that I'd have to enable wifi to use FTP, but that seems like asking for trouble... just wondering what others are doing there.

Also, and I'm just curious here, but I have a few games freshly installed and airplane mode is activated, yet when I boot those games they tell me there's an update available. How does it know that if there's no internet connection?
I've used ftpd with SX os in the past, and honestly I've been fairly reckless with hacks, and I'm not banned, so take that as you will. If your going to be using ctw at all tho, you have to be expecting a ban at some point or another. I don't know how the games know about the update. I remember reading about it somewhere but I can't remember where exactly. One of the other members will have to help you on that one.
Does this sub have a list of required reading before attempting something like this?

Also, reinx/rajnx/sx os, what are pros cons of each?
If you read the stickied threads for this sub and the homebrew one, you should know pretty much all you need to start with hacking your switch. The differences between the cfws is that reinx is free, as opposed to you having to pay for SX os, and reinx can't run xci games, while SX can

Sabregod

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I got my switch and I updated all of backup games in OFW mode couple of weeks ago. I know there's a risk of getting banned but as of now I'm currently on Airplane mode. What's a safe way to know if I'm banned without going online now?

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got my switch and I updated all of backup games in OFW mode couple of weeks ago. I know there's a risk of getting banned but as of now I'm currently on Airplane mode. What's a safe way to know if I'm banned without going online now?
There isn't really one. If you really want to know your best bet would be to try to access the eShop I'm ofw

Reactions: Sabregod

Sabregod

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Worst case scenario, let's say my switch is banned meaning I can't download system and game updates. Are there offline methods to update? Can a new game with a system update be used? I've always used XCI files, is there a way to update them offline?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exactly does getting banned mean? You can't use any online features at all or just can't use eshop?
There have been less severe levels of ban in the past like eshop and online gaming. The picture emerging over the past day has been a ton of total bans. Superban (everything, updates, eshop all of it).

Worst case scenario, let's say my switch is banned meaning I can't download system and game updates. Are there offline methods to update? Can a new game with a system update be used? I've always used XCI files, is there a way to update them offline?
Yes and yes. That is all I have done. Ever. I don’t want to get banned. You will have to find the updates yourself however. Poke around the same places you find nsp and Xci.

Last edited by thorasgar,

randomgbanoob123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There have been less severe levels of ban in the past like eshop and online gaming. The picture emerging over the past day has been a ton of total bans. Superban (everything, updates, eshop all of it).

Yes and yes. That is all I have done. Ever. I don’t want to get banned. You will have to find them yourself however.

I read through the sticky that was linked earlier so if I do get a superb an I can still use physical games and use pirate methods to get the updates/dlc? For instance say I purchase botw get super banned then I want the dlc will I be able to install the dlc files then use my physical cart or would that require me downloading a digital copy of botw to install?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read through the sticky that was linked earlier so if I do get a superb an I can still use physical games and use pirate methods to get the updates/dlc? For instance say I purchase botw get super banned then I want the dlc will I be able to install the dlc files then use my physical cart or would that require me downloading a digital copy of botw to install?
Up to this point all updates and dlc has been available by other sources, I don’t see that changing. You can still use the physical cart as all updates and dlc (legit or otherwise) are nsp anyway. Might need to have run the game and have a save file before installing the dlc and update.

Toxxysko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I boot into RCM via a Jig -> TegraRCM -> Hekate, and I've only ever used Checkpoint to backup saves. How safe/screwed am I?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I boot into RCM via a Jig -> TegraRCM -> Hekate, and I've only ever used Checkpoint to backup saves. How safe/screwed am I?
Hmm, I would say 0.2% screwed. There has only been one homebrew only ban and that user also cleared error logs on 5.X (which is a sign you should never clear your error logs). All other bans have been due to piracy in one way or another.

Toxxysko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Probably low risk of a ban. However that could be changing.

Hmm, I would say 0.2% screwed. There has only been one homebrew only ban and that user also cleared error logs on 5.X (which is a sign you should never clear your error logs). All other bans have been due to piracy in one way or another.

Thanks! But I assume things like airplane mode during CFW boot is still a must?

EDIT: How urgent is it to restore my NAND? I still have it backed up from my first attempt at RCM.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! But I assume things like airplane mode during CFW boot is still a must?
A good DNS server that blocks all of Nintendo's URLs (including the telemetry ones) can achieve a similar effect. The best one so far is 90DNS. Otherwise, you can stick with Airplane Mode as there are hidden Wi-Fi settings stored in your console that get triggered when near a Nintendo Hotspot.

Sabregod

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just need a clarification, what about later games that require a newer firmware to even run? Let's say months later nintendo releases a new game that requires 6.0.0 to run and if that 6.0.0 update doesn't come in the cartridge and you switch is banned on an older firmware, are you screwed?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just need a clarification, what about later games that require a newer firmware to even run? Let's say months later nintendo releases a new game that requires 6.0.0 to run and if that 6.0.0 update doesn't come in the cartridge and you switch is banned on an older firmware, are you screwed?
You can update your firmware using ChoiDujourNX and a dump of the 6.0 firmware files, once someone else provides them.

randomgbanoob123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'd say the odds of that happening are slim to none. The backlash from the people without consistent Internet access that simply can't play the game due to the update not being available wouldn't be worth pissing off a couple pirates.

Toxxysko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
A good DNS server that blocks all of Nintendo's URLs (including the telemetry ones) can achieve a similar effect. The best one so far is 90DNS. Otherwise, you can stick with Airplane Mode as there are hidden Wi-Fi settings stored in your console that get triggered when near a Nintendo Hotspot.

Actually i just had another question: how urgent is it that i restore my NAND backup? I still have it from back when i first attempted to boot into RCM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch