Hardware Switch NAND upgrade

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is a link to the tutorial OP wrote
i have been looking around. it seems that 512gb chips do exist. but are labeled "automotive" what does this mean exactly? are they the right type? what kind of "socket" if you will do these eMMC chips sit on? so i know to keep an eye out for them becuase i want to be the first human to say i have a 1tb switch. "theoredically"

Reactions: guily6669

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
i have been looking around. it seems that 512gb chips do exist. but are labeled "automotive" what does this mean exactly? are they the right type? what kind of "socket" if you will do these eMMC chips sit on? so i know to keep an eye out for them becuase i want to be the first human to say i have a 1tb switch. "theoredically"
I'm sorry, I'm not really the right person to ask; I have no clue about almost any of this stuff

A emmc Change is only possible with a NAND Backup and restore? My emmc is damaged, but i have NO NAND Backup
This is a thread about upgrading the eMMC with a blank chip with larger capacity than the original one through soldering. You probably want to look into replacing the whole module, which seems easy enough: You can buy something like this, which, if I'm not mistaken, comes with HOS pre-installed. This requires no soldering

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, I'm not really the right person to ask; I have no clue about almost any of this stuff

This is a thread about upgrading the eMMC with a blank chip with larger capacity than the original one through soldering. You probably want to look into replacing the whole module, which seems easy enough: You can buy something like this, which, if I'm not mistaken, comes with HOS pre-installed. This requires no soldering
it seems that i got Gigabit confused with Gigabyte. but i can see the 256gb do exist

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
i would go with the third-hand sites that ship overseas if i was you. depends on the chip your looking for. any idea what size?
The chip for the Switch is one thing, but here other people have already done all the work and posted names/links for compatible chips. I was more curious to the process of finding a compatible chip if you only know the serial number of a chip you want to replace. I mean, what factors would you consider (other than the physical size, of course)? How do you know what to look for, and where does one look?

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The chip for the Switch is one thing, but here other people have already done all the work and posted names/links for compatible chips. I was more curious to the process of finding a compatible chip if you only know the serial number of a chip you want to replace. I mean, what factors would you consider (other than the physical size, of course)? How do you know what to look for, and where does one look?
i would start with throwing the Serial into google and seeing what comes up.

Reactions: Witalka_Shelby

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
im not really the best person as i have no soldering experience and i am having trouble finding the chips myself. do you know if anyone has gotten a 256gb to work?
I don't think so, but mostly because it seems to be hard to source the 256GB chip (at least OP wrote so in his tutorial). Someone did a 128GB install that worked though, and I assume that a 256GB (or maybe any size if the chips exist) would work if you follow the tutorial

ElectricCheep

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
im not really the best person as i have no soldering experience and i am having trouble finding the chips myself. do you know if anyone has gotten a 256gb to work?

The issue is finding the 256GB EMMC by Samsung reasonably. They're a pretty "new" product for the consumer market, Samsung only really started mass production of embedded memory, in general in the 256GB range early this year/late last year iirc. I've reached out to my electronics suppliers that we use at my office and they've told me even they can't really get a hold of them super easily yet. The price for one currently to a consumer like the average forum lurker/poster here is probably a bit more than you'd care to spend as well. For reference, SDINBDA4-256G , the 256 GB sandisk EMMC, is about 160 USD or so(?). Same 5.1 HS400 interface, should be able to work with the switch, assuming their iNAND crap is just marketing wank and it isn't indicative of some weird proprietary crap.

I'm capable of doing the swap, SMD work is like 60% of my job, will probably go the more safe route and buy the entire EMMC and IO board from aliexpress so I can test swap and leave my original EMMC safe in case it doesn't work. It's $30 or so for basically removing the entire risk involved in an EMMC swap.

I'll try to document the process fully and if I can get a good source on the chips I'll see about getting a good handful to spread around, no promises though. 128GB for now is probably the most attainable upgrade capacity for most.

Last edited by ElectricCheep,
Reactions: Witalka_Shelby

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
160 wasnt really bad. Id pay for that. Have trusted friend of mine do the swap. Someone needs to sell them on ebay once they are kinda available.
How long do you think untill they are readily available.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a broken 120GB SSD here, but the memories are different and are even lower than the stock from the Switch :ninja:.

Samsung have nice Emmc chips, they keep increasing its size... maybe the 256GB inside phones could be compatible if you have a very high end phone and it brokes beyond repair, but I don't even have a clue if its a single 256GB chip or 2 128GB chips or whatever.

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a broken 120GB SSD here, but the memories are different and are even lower than the stock from the Switch :ninja:.

Samsung have nice Emmc chips, they keep increasing its size... maybe the 256GB inside phones could be compatible if you have a very high end phone and it brokes beyond repair, but I don't even have a clue if its a single 256GB chip or 2 128GB chips or whatever.
different kind of chip NAND doesn't has a controller i believe. plus the socket is different

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ones from the SSD yes, they are just memories and the controller is somewhere on its motherboard...

Doesn't mean is that later someone could actually start selling a different memory with its own board that could still be compatible with switch from their different board design, I don't know how much would it change in the pineouts from the switch emmc board connector to something like the latest 256GB emmc chips (I'm talking about others with different pins from the Switch, they might still all be compatible with a custom designed board for them, no idea) ;).

ps: I just wish someone start selling like on ebay or some crap a full board+emmc just plug-n-play for a low price.

Last edited by guily6669,

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ones from the SSD yes, they are just memories and the controller is somewhere on its motherboard...

I'm thinking we can only go to around 128GB because I can't see any 256 one with the same pinout.

Doesn't mean is that later someone could actually start selling a different memory with its own board that could still be compatible with switch from their different board design, I don't know how much would it change in the pineouts from the switch emmc board connector to something like the latest 256GB emmc chips ;).

ps: I just wish someone start selling like on ebay or some crap a full board+emmc just plug-n-play for a low price.

IF you mean stealing them from a EMMC SSD then maybe. you would have to do your reasearch on that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious +1