Switch custom home menu themes can now be shared legally

upload_2018-11-1_9-5-19.png

It's been just a bit more than a month since we had achieved custom themes on the switch and i'm happy people have been using them, but unfortunately they come with one huge issue: they contain copyrighted data and so can't be shared on GBATemp and most other websites.

So, after a lot of work I'm glad to announce that it is no longer the case !

Version 3.0 of Switch theme injector introduces a cool feature called Auto-Theme: it's a web app that allows to share themes in the form of links that only contain the background image and optionally a custom layout file.

When you open one of these links your browser will generate the actual theme file on your pc, that's right, the web app doesn't have any backend server, all the job is done by your pc like a normal app.

This does not only make sharing themes legal but also ensures compatibility with virtually any firmware.

Sounds too good to be true, is there a catch ?

As you might have thought, the actual theme files are still illegal and the website can't generate them on its own so you'll have to set it up first by providing a few files from the home menu you have to extract on your own.

Extracting these files takes less than a quarter of an hour, you just need to follow the guide and you only have to do it once.

At the time of writing the latest version of switch theme injector is 3.3, you can find the release thread here.

I've also made a thread to share custom themes, it includes a guide on how to use Auto-Theme as well, check it out here.

Attachments

• thumbnail.png
    thumbnail.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 688
Last edited by exelix11,

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Cool!
I don't know to what extent we can push themes and how much info to reveal on-the-go but it's at least good enough for me if it would show all installed titles instead of the "show more" button or whatever it's called.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Will it be possible to have an app on switch itself, that browse and downloads new themes? Kinda like on vita and 3ds

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
great work, and btw, nice theme you have there on the screenshot :)

I encourage everyone to upload your themes on GBAtemp in the download center for maximum visibility: https://gbatemp.net/download/categories/themes.1671/
Ohh, I see auto-theme can use download center url directly (with CORS support) :)
it would be great if anyone uploading themes could had a direct link too.

nice theme! I didn't know we could move the element's position.

Costello, I might have to talk with you to make the upload center easier when sing the "upload new version". there is one thing which could be improved which I had issues with.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: exelix11

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No idea why Nintendo isn't giving us more options to change the themes by ourselves. The console has been lackluster in options everywhere but the gaming section. I know it's a gaming console, but come on. It's not like you just pop the game in and play. It has the potential to do much more.

grabman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea why Nintendo isn't giving us more options to change the themes by ourselves. The console has been lackluster in options everywhere but the gaming section. I know it's a gaming console, but come on. It's not like you just pop the game in and play. It has the potential to do much more.

Ever use nxshell? That one app alone changed my switch forever mp3 and comic book/pdf support...

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
how safe are themes actually in terms of increasing the chance of a ban?
Same as layeredfs, we're just using it on the home menu.
Personally i've not been banned yet: i have disabled all telemetry from my nintendo and console settings and always used atmosphere offline, only homebrews and layeredfs.
This is just my experience don't take it as a safe way to use homebrews, when hacking your console there is always the risk of being banned.

Reactions: zeveroth

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/_4oRbWv0veA?si=rOKCuNsE0oUCvEwa