Swine Flu - Possible New Global Pandemic

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
P1ingp0ng, this is the most constructive post I have seen that will make other reporters feel ashamed for their own actions.

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
Scorpei said:
Finishoff said:
Hope they find a cure for this soon. Its going to spread like an out break with people traveling about.
There isn't so much 'a cure' for the flu, it mutates really quickly. There are litle to none anti-viral drugs, and those that are there could be quickly rendered useless due to the heavy mutational speed of a virus (like the flu). A neuramidase blocker seems to have effect though... We'll all just have to wait, it's not like this wasn't coming all along
smile.gif

They've stated that a Vaccine could be made in 6 months, and work has already started in London.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is always the moderate route... You know the place between hysteria and completely sticking your head in the sand. Swine flu is not the apocalypse in viral form, but it's also not something you should take lightly. The fact is we really don't know enough about the strain to draw any definite conclusions. What I find really shocking is the extremes people naturally gravitate toward. Your either scared shitless or throwing yourself into denial, like "FLU NO KILL MEH!!! I LIVE 4EVERZ"

Please... both extremes are equally ignorant.

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
p1ngpong said:
This is fearmongering of the highest order guys. Many people on this thread have said it and it is true.

All the media instantly jumped on this, claiming we were on the verge of a new global pandemic, when nobody really knew anything about this. Now the world health organisation have said this will be a pandemic, when things like this are impossible to predict, and even now cases of swine flu have been very small and limited. We have been slowly programmed to expect something like this to happen. Ebola, SARS, bird flu have all been blown out of proportion in the past and hyped to the extent that we were told something like this would be inevitable, not at some point in time in the future, but very soon.

And to people claiming conspiracies. You are in fact not making ridiculous assumptions.

Viruses and diseases jumping cross species are incredibly rare. The chance of something like this mutating and effecting three, completely different species are slim at best. The chance are in the trillions, Im not joking. A disease jumping from birds, to swine to humans is almost impossible. Mutations just dont work like that. In many cases something like this would not be able to sustain itself, it would burn itself out very quickly. This is because viruses of this nature are usually freak mutations which dont survive the replication most diseases go through, some 10.000 mutations a day at least. And the fact its spread so far, in so many random pockets of the globe also makes for yet another unusual impossibility.

This does not have the hallmarks of a random virus, its hallmarks are those of a specific design. Design to jump species the way it does, and to sustain itself.

And like I said the way the media have jumped on this is crazy, the total number of infected people and dead is nothing. Normal influenza itself kills between 15.000 to 30.000 people in the US alone. This has come nowhere near that to warrant this amount of hysteria.

Thats my thoughts on this anyway.
Well posted!
smile.gif

There's only one explanation..
Umbrella Corp. is back with the S-Virus
biggrin.gif

xoinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
p1ngpong said:
This is fearmongering of the highest order guys. Many people on this thread have said it and it is true.

All the media instantly jumped on this, claiming we were on the verge of a new global pandemic, when nobody really knew anything about this. Now the world health organisation have said this will be a pandemic, when things like this are impossible to predict, and even now cases of swine flu have been very small and limited. We have been slowly programmed to expect something like this to happen. Ebola, SARS, bird flu have all been blown out of proportion in the past and hyped to the extent that we were told something like this would be inevitable, not at some point in time in the future, but very soon.

And to people claiming conspiracies. You are in fact not making ridiculous assumptions.

Viruses and diseases jumping cross species are incredibly rare. The chance of something like this mutating and effecting three, completely different species are slim at best. The chance are in the trillions, Im not joking. A disease jumping from birds, to swine to humans is almost impossible. Mutations just dont work like that. In many cases something like this would not be able to sustain itself, it would burn itself out very quickly. This is because viruses of this nature are usually freak mutations which dont survive the replication most diseases go through, some 10.000 mutations a day at least. And the fact its spread so far, in so many random pockets of the globe also makes for yet another unusual impossibility.

This does not have the hallmarks of a random virus, its hallmarks are those of a specific design. Design to jump species the way it does, and to sustain itself.

And like I said the way the media have jumped on this is crazy, the total number of infected people and dead is nothing. Normal influenza itself kills between 15.000 to 30.000 people in the US alone. This has come nowhere near that to warrant this amount of hysteria.

Thats my thoughts on this anyway.

This message isn't targetted to flame anyone and was written as tactfully as I possibly can. Just wanted to point up some dangerous misconceptions that even I had before the outbreak of SARS in my country...

You are right that this whole swine flu thing is getting played up by the media very much, but I wouldn't call it fearmongering, but rather a urgent call for vigilance!

Being from a South East Asian country, I can tell you first hand that an outbreak would be disasterous, something that you probably wouldn't want to see. Of course noone wants to see others dying, much a pandemic is much more than that; factories would stop production, school would halt... in short the economy is at a standstill, not a good news in any economic scenario, let alone the current one.

And judging from reports, the current swine flu is not only capable of human transmission already, but also a lot harder to detect than previous viruses like Ebola and SARS. Ebola provided a first scare due to the exceptionally high mortality rates, but it doesn't spread well "due to its difficulty in spreading by airborne transmission and the period of time that the virus can use a living and contagious victim to spread compared to other infectious diseases," and has since been played down as a possible pandemic risk.

Then came SARS, which was close to the first pandemic on a global scale. Mortality rates were not as high as Ebola, but due to the ease of it spreading, it was capable of a uncontrolled outbreak. However, governments worked together and quickly rolled out measures like quarantines and airport controls (with on the fly temperature measurements etc) which got the spread undercontrol both between countries, and within the countries.

But the latest Swine Flu seems to be even more communicable. It can go undetected for much longer periods, while being contagious. This effectively means that carriers could easily bring the viruses out from wherever they got it and into any part of the world. And the faster and further the virus spreads, the harder it is for authorities to contain it... just trying to supply the vaccine would be a logistical nightmare. And unpreparedness of the people and government will lead to slower responses to contain it internally.

And about mortality, well normal influenza may kill 15,000 to 30,000 in the US alone... but have you considered mortality rates instead? So far confirmed deaths from the virus is 13, out of 439 confirmed cases, which comes to around 3% mortality, and mind you this is a serious underestimate considering how many deaths have yet to be detected, and that the outbreak has just begun meaning that it is still in the incubation stage. How about normal influenza? According to wiki, "the case fatality rate for influenza is usually around 0.6 percent (primarily among the elderly)"

There is no need to 'overhype', but we definitely need to anticipate the worst possible outcome and make sure everyone knows the gravity of the situation and raise their vigilance. You are probably annoyed about the stupid new regulations by the government and think that they are paranoid, but they really have to. The more they try to lay back and relax, the harder it is going to contain the outbreak when they eventually get to it. And as citizens, we also need to play our part! Complacency is the worse way to behave right now, because you just don't know what will happen. A slight paranoia is in a way being responsible in this situation. Singapore, where i come from, was badly by SARS in 2003, and I know many of the regulations and tough measures were the results of painful lessons learnt from then. And irresponsible people ignoring home quarantine measures only risked the efforts of everyone.

If you are sick, stay at home and recuperate, or go see a doctor if it doesn't get better. Everyone around you will appreciate the fact that you are thoughtful and acting responsibly in times when a simple cough makes people nervous.

At the end of the day, believe what you want; fearmongering is true and the media is playing up the whole swine flu pandemic thing. However, don't allow that to cloud your mind and stay vigilant. I know how it feels, and I was like many people on the board, thinking that everyone is just over reacting. But desperate time calls for desperate measures and some of the steps taken just have to be done. Just don't let this mindset of your jeopardise the efforts of everyone trying their best to get the outbreak under control.

KendoKhan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
epicelite said:
You know what I don't understand?
The people who think the government is out to kill everyone.
What would they gain from doing so?

I mean think about it! There is nothing to gain from that!

WTF? Can someone explain?

there is supposed to be a group of global elites that want to take over the world called the bilderburge group
and kill everybody, ive herd about that one. look for the part about new world order its around there

http://www.truefacts.co.uk/articles/a0002.html

so why kill every body simple

CONTROL

if a bunch of people die from a virus out break people would willingly give up there rights for protection
from the virus.(or blindly follow the gov)
if people think there gonna die theyll panic and do what ever you tell them to do to survive (its also a great way to get people to
do, go along with or commit horrible acts on others turning neighbors against neighbors the Nazis did it. they got control and started killing
all kinds of people Jews ,Gypsies,mentally challenged, or just any undesirables all for CONTROL! these people have god complexes.
look what happened after 9/11 the Us population gave up alot or rights like warrant less phone taping
allowing the gov to take people suspected of terrorism into Camps with out any real proof (PATRIOT ACT)
and attacked IRAQ (no WMDS) remember when they asked Bush what Iraq had to do with 9/11 a few years into the war
and he said it had nothing to do with 9/11 Google it im not lying all because cause the gov said they would protect them from
the bogyman terrorists who might try something sometime in the future.

This whole flu thing is probably about fear mongering and diverting the publics attention away from important issues like
the fact that they were gonna have to look into Ex president Bushes cabinets war crimes and
to scare everybody away from protesting about the shit economy and throwing tea parties about taxes if thousands of
people don't start dieing from this soon then its just a bait a switch to get people distracted from the real issues.

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
blooddrake said:
that game............

anyway, now more than 600 are sick, til yesterday it was only 300
It still doesn't phase me, there are so much other things to worry about than a simple flu that is 5% different from a regular flu. It's only killed 159 Mexicans so far, it shouldn't be considered a pandemic whatsoever. The regular flu is a pandemic and kills 35 thousand and sickens tons of people a year. Its really nothing to worry about.

CorruptJon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NeSchn said:
blooddrake said:
that game............

It still doesn't phase me, there are so much other things to worry about than a simple flu that is 5% different from a regular flu. It's only killed 159 Mexicans so far, it shouldn't be considered a pandemic whatsoever. The regular flu is a pandemic and kills 35 thousand and sickens tons of people a year. Its really nothing to worry about.

NeSchn said:
QUOTE(Reaper @ Apr 28 2009, 05:51 AM)
I hope they won't have to split the continent in half with a wall like in that one movie
frown.gif

And I live in San Diego so crap
I live in New York, unfortunately the state with the most confirmed cases, and me being a hypochondriac sucks. I have a sore throat right now and I am like "Oh fuck! Sore Throat thats one of the symptoms of Swine Flu!" Its going away though lol and my brothers friends girlfriend is in NYC and he came back here with a cold and I am freaking out again and am like "Oh fuck! He went down to NYC and brought back the Swine Flu!!! SHIT!" He has allergies really bad lol and thats what the doctor said.

I need to stop shitting my pants over this, I hate the media so much. I always say "The media always brings so much fear, its all bullshit." Even though I believe that I start thinking about it, and dwelling on it that I'm starting to believe that we are going to have to sit in out houses and no communicate with anyone so we don't catch this flu.

I'm so fucking ridiculous.

Looks like it does phase you to me lol.

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
CorruptJon said:
NeSchn said:
blooddrake said:
that game............

NeSchn said:
QUOTE(Reaper @ Apr 28 2009, 05:51 AM)
I hope they won't have to split the continent in half with a wall like in that one movie
frown.gif

And I live in San Diego so crap
I live in New York, unfortunately the state with the most confirmed cases, and me being a hypochondriac sucks. I have a sore throat right now and I am like "Oh fuck! Sore Throat thats one of the symptoms of Swine Flu!" Its going away though lol and my brothers friends girlfriend is in NYC and he came back here with a cold and I am freaking out again and am like "Oh fuck! He went down to NYC and brought back the Swine Flu!!! SHIT!" He has allergies really bad lol and thats what the doctor said.

I need to stop shitting my pants over this, I hate the media so much. I always say "The media always brings so much fear, its all bullshit." Even though I believe that I start thinking about it, and dwelling on it that I'm starting to believe that we are going to have to sit in out houses and no communicate with anyone so we don't catch this flu.

I'm so fucking ridiculous.

Looks like it does phase you to me lol.

That was the first day it happened, I am a part-time hypochondriac lol, when it first happened I was like "Oh fuck, oh shit, Were dead!" Then I sat back, read more, listened more, and was like "Wow, this thing isn't even that bad."

silent sniper

!dennaB
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i think i might have it, i've been feeling flu-ish symptoms (theyre worse today) for days now.

but, tbh, it's HUGELY overblown. the only people i think that are in any danger are seniors, toddlers, and people that already have health problems.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
silent sniper said:
i think i might have it, i've been feeling flu-ish symptoms (theyre worse today) for days now.

but, tbh, it's HUGELY overblown. the only people i think that are in any danger are seniors, toddlers, and people that already have health problems.

Just like regular flu then.
smileipb2.png

Golin

Trophies
Website
www.loswades.frih.net
XP
Country
United States
p1ngpong said:
silent sniper said:

smileipb2.png
The news reported healthy adults dying in Mexico more than toddlers and elders actually.

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
Golin said:
p1ngpong said:
silent sniper said:

smileipb2.png
The news reported healthy adults dying in Mexico more than toddlers and elders actually.
Look at the big picture though, Most babies and Elders are at home chillin most of the day. The healthy adults are out working and communicating with people, of course they were gunna get it first and die.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Depends on my mood