Super-stable 3D is not functioning correctly. How to send in with Luma?

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve had my 3DS running Luma for a few years and I never really noticed that the 3D was off. I always figured it was that I was playing in a low light room.

Well I go to calibrate Super Stable 3D and it simply says that it’s not functioning correcting. I can’t get default settings working or manual; they both give me that message.

Additionally, if I use the camera I noticed that the outer camera works, but the inner camera freezes my system.

I am considering repairs through Nintendo but how do I hide Luma from them? Can I factory reset this, say I bought it off eBay, and send it in? I don’t mind paying a bit.

I can’t think of any other issue that is causing this other than hardware damage..

Thoughts?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I’ve had my 3DS running Luma for a few years and I never really noticed that the 3D was off. I always figured it was that I was playing in a low light room.

Well I go to calibrate Super Stable 3D and it simply says that it’s not functioning correcting. I can’t get default settings working or manual; they both give me that message.

Additionally, if I use the camera I noticed that the outer camera works, but the inner camera freezes my system.

I am considering repairs through Nintendo but how do I hide Luma from them? Can I factory reset this, say I bought it off eBay, and send it in? I don’t mind paying a bit.

I can’t think of any other issue that is causing this other than hardware damage..

Thoughts?
Factory reset wont do anything. So dont do that, you will save yourself a lot of headache.
Nintendo dont care of excuses of where its been got. It likely wont have warranty. So your looking at paying whatever its gonna be to fix it, if at all they decide to.
What errors exactly are you getting when they show up for you?

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Factory reset wont do anything. So dont do that, you will save yourself a lot of headache.
Nintendo dont care of excuses of where its been got. It likely wont have warranty. So your looking at paying whatever its gonna be to fix it, if at all they decide to.
What errors exactly are you getting when they show up for you?
Oh I bought this when it came out, the Majoras Mask XL, so I figured a warranty was over anyway not counting the CFW.

When Super Stable 3D is turned on it has issues from barely tilting my head. When I go to set it to default, or if I attempt to manually change it, both give me the message “Super-stable 3D is not functioning correctly”.

Idk if this is related but my inner camera isn’t working either: attempting to use it froze my system. Turning off Super Stable 3D leaves me with the old school 3D where you can’t move your head at all

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Idk if this is related but my inner camera isn’t working either: attempting to use it froze my system
Super Stable 3D uses the inner camera for head tracking, so yes, this is the problem here.

If they want, Nintendo can most likely find out the system was modified even if CFW is uninstalled. They could simply do the repair… or they could ban your console and account and send it back without repair. Who knows what they do? Nintendo follows no logic.

There are other options as well.

Self-repair: Order a camera module and replace it yourself. Be warned that this is not an easy task, but it is easy to further damage parts. I've never worked on the "New" series of 3DS consoles, but on the old. It is a nightmare and the new series has one more slider on the top screen assembly.
Upper part of my O3DSXL after replacing worn loudspeaker/3D cable and upper screen.
open-jpg.301551

I have been swearing a lot.

Independent repair shop: Find somebody willing and able to do this.

Ignore: 3D should still work without head tracking like on the old models.

Reactions: Alexander1970

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks, I’ll look up a video guide and consider repair shops too. Nintendo banning it and then sending it back without repair would be such a dick move lol
I've (sadly) not pulled that from the void:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/n2ds-xl-repair-gone-wrong.542813/page-2#post-8708300

There were other cases were Nintendo repaired CFW consoles and didn't care. Really: You never know what they do. This is true for small things like individual repairs as well as their company strategy. Like playing lottery.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
This is a question, not advice:

Is it possible to unmodify the system, including restoration of your original sysNAND from the back-up and removal of B9S, and then re-hack it using Pokemon Picross from the eShop? I don't think NTR boot is necessary for 11.15, but I'm not 100% sure.

SysNAND, moveable.sed, and the whole intenal SD card can be backed-up to files, so I think you could restore them when you get the unit back, and having moveable.sed already should make the re-hack easier.

If it's a lottery, the the specific service centre probably plays a big part in determining the odds. It might be worth finding out which service centres like to ban accounts and which aren't bothered.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is it possible to unmodify the system, including restoration of your original sysNAND from the back-up and removal of B9S,
With a bit of precaution, yes.
Unmodified console → ntrboot into GodMode9 → Answer "No" to embedded backup → SysNAND backup → store this virgin image on PC.

Then proceed normally. Before sending to Nintendo: Restore SysNAND (full) with virgin image. Should wipe any evidence of modification and make revealing something using data recovery software impossible. B9S will be uninstalled by doing this. Restore SysNAND (full) will result in full brick if the SD/image is corrupted.
In addition I would run "Format System Memory" in case there is any difference concerning NAND contents(databases) compared to possible telemetry. Formatting is plausible to remove personal data and will reset such things. (Yes, I'm paranoid).
Theoretically forensic methods might reveal something because of wear leveling not overwriting the same NAND cells. That would as far as I know mean desoldering the NAND and examine it with forensic technology… don't think is is gonna happen as this is much work, really expensive (more than a 3DS is worth) and very risky.

No idea:
  • How to manually remove GodMode9 embedded backup once written (and overwriting the place with zeroes might give evidence anyway)
  • If FIRM0 and FIRM1 contain any evidence after B9S uninstallation.
  • How to hide the previous existence of boot.firm, GodMode9.firm and other files on CTRNAND (deleting files is not enough)
==========
In addition to that I don't believe thinking too much about this makes sense. Other than in the past Nintendo doesn't seem to have much interest in supporting outdated devices for a longer period of time. Nintendo of America stopped official repairs of Wii, Wii U and the old 3DS models. 2DS and New 3DS are probably the next on their hit list. As far as I know Nintendo of Europe still offers repairs for those.

Doux91

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
changing cameras, in fbi maybe you could use the back camera, ninjacam could be what you need for test both cameras, I heard nintendo is not fixing 3ds anymore, you must put boot.fim in the ctrnand and take off the microsd and the console it will look like that has not hack, you could try to fix it by yourself is not the hardest thing you ever do, but is a complicated thing, you must be delicate with everything, you must be careful with the flex or you could sell your console and buy a new one or second hand, maybe you will not espend more than fix the your

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t even use the 3D much but it doesn’t sit well with me having a major function not working. I understand that removing CFW is very risky and it’s been so long since I initially installed CFW that I have no reliable way to determine if I did a proper virgin backup.

Im debating if I should simply contact Nintendo and say Im willing to pay for a repair of the Super Stable 3D and camera issue (my backplate is also missing both screws). If they accept it (even if to just look at it) then Ill at the very least want to delete all my cartridge backups and especially my old DS and GBA injections.

Is there a safe way to remove the basic stuff that screams CFW without actually removing the CFW?

Part of me is willing to risk them not fixing it. Hell, what even happens if they “ban” the system? Are all online functionality lost like access to internet, per-game online service, Eshop? I don’t have any special attachment to the actual account but it would suck losing access to things like Pokémon Bank

In any case thanks for the advice. One final option I guess I have is selling on eBay and mentioning the issue. It’s the Majoras Mask edition and those go for $500 -used-

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. Idk what happened but suddenly I noticed the red IR light is on and the 3D isn’t breaking when I move my head..

I go to the 3D settings and I have Super Stable 3D on, which it now detects.. I was able to manually change it or use default.

Lastly, the inner camera now works. Maybe I was successful in my opening the edge of the back and pushing the camera ribbon into the slot more. Or maybe I had to clean the shit out of the IR node? Or maybe me pressing into that part of the handheld saved it?

Idk but my 3DS is spared for now!

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, now the 3DS is being inconsistent with whether the camera and super stable 3D work or not. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t. A few times simply closing the flap and opening again fixed it. I’m guessing this is likely not a software issue? But what could it be if it works on and off?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, now the 3DS is being inconsistent with whether the camera and super stable 3D work or not. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t. A few times simply closing the flap and opening again fixed it. I’m guessing this is likely not a software issue? But what could it be if it works on and off?
My guess is: worn ribbon cables to the upper screen assembly. Loose connection. In my opinion all 3DS will have this problem over time.

Loudspeaker cable from my O3DSXL (I know, why I keep all the scrapped parts…):
Photo heavily compressed, just showing the complete cable
1.jpg

This showed the same behavior at the beginning. Working sometimes, sometimes turning off the console with a pop (unlike the camera, this cable is vital for the console to work at all). Opening closing the shell a few times helped at the beginning but at some point it failed and had to be replaced. The picture below shows why.
Slow connection warning: Full picture below 1.1MB
2.jpg

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is: worn ribbon cables to the upper screen assembly. Loose connection. In my opinion all 3DS will have this problem over time.

Loudspeaker cable from my O3DSXL (I know, why I keep all the scrapped parts…):
Photo heavily compressed, just showing the complete cable
View attachment 302214

This showed the same behavior at the beginning. Working sometimes, sometimes turning off the console with a pop (unlike the camera, this cable is vital for the console to work at all). Opening closing the shell a few times helped at the beginning but at some point it failed and had to be replaced. The picture below shows why.
Slow connection warning: Full picture below 1.1MB
View attachment 302215
Is the top part easy to take apart? If it’s a loose connection like you and I suspect then I just need to have access to it

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the time being I am leaving it as-is. I can't get the back off of the system due to 2 screws that are kinda ruined. My dad offered to take it to his work and use a tool there to remove the screws, but I am worried they would open it and it would damage the system. My method of closing and opening the lid to get 3D Super Stable working again is not working anymore, so perhaps it really is a loose connection. Question is, is the cable loose in the main body, or near the camera themselves

• Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm very sorry! I should have paid more attention to the topic.

I phrased that badly: With "loose connection" I didn't mean a badly connected cable (that might be a reason as well, but unlikely). I meant the cable started to tear and one or more of the tiny lines/wires internally sometimes has connection and sometimes not – getting loose in the middle of the cable. Look at my picture again.

My second mistake was not mentioning the screws on 3DS systems. On some(!) units they are ridiculously tight while the metal is of the worst possible soft quality. In addition to that I've read they are JIS and not Philips screws. Standard Philips bits are supposedly prone to damaging JIS screws easily.
Well… I've tried it with fitting JIS bits and got similar problems as well (so much for some wisenheimer telling people with stripped screws that they used the wrong tool).
Drilling off the heads on stripped screws might be the only option (unscrew the remaining parts with pliers after getting the back open).
==========

Be warned: Anything having to do with the hinge and the cables going to the top screen is hard to do.

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be warned: Anything having to do with the hinge and the cables going to the top screen is hard to do.
not hard, brutal. I wasted 6 new 3ds xl top screens trying to get through the damn hinge, eventually i just gave up because it was cheaper to buy a new one than to keep trying.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
not hard, brutal. I wasted 6 new 3ds xl top screens trying to get through the damn hinge, eventually i just gave up because it was cheaper to buy a new one than to keep trying.
Getting another unit will not be an option in the long run. Since the repair can be done, it should be done for preserving 3DS. Not confident to do the repair yourself? Then pay somebody who offers it.

Because this thing is hard to do, many electronic/phone repair shops refuse to work on 3DS. I wouldn't offer it for money as well – risking further damage on a customer's console. But there are talented technicians that offer 3DS repair (and at the moment this is cheaper than getting another N3DSXL in very good condition – let alone a special edition with inflated prices on eBay).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hp24nDVKvY