Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – The Final “Mr. Sakurai Presents” - Kingdom Hearts' Sora joins the fight

It's the final countdown, for the last Super Smash Bros. Ultimate character reveal. Who exactly will be that last magical DLC fighter? Will it be a sword anime boy? Another Pokemon? We'll find out soon, when the final Mr. Sakurai Presents airs in just ten minutes. You can tune into the stream, or check out our live coverage to learn who the mystery character is!

He opens with new Mii costumes.

Splatoon costume for the Octoling, Judd, DOOM Slayer, are revealed. They release on October 18th.

Here it is. We come full circle, back to the very first trailer that revealed the game, with the inkling staring into the Smash Bros logo.

Kingdom Hearts Sora appears.

There will be 9 songs included.

Night of Fate
Destiny's Force
Shrouding Dark Cloud
Hand in Hand
Blast Away! Gummi Ship II
Hollow Bastion
Scherzo Di Notte
Fragments of Sorrow
Destati

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It wouldn't be a good final character if they didn't disappoint the entire world with another boring sword user instead of...literally the entire rest of the characters in the gaming world.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't much care for Kingdom Hearts, but I know this pick made a lot of people very happy so I'm cool with it. Hopefully he's not busted OP like Kazuya.
Isn't Kazuya's brokenness severely limited by his ludicrous skill ceiling? Pretty sure it takes a lot of effort to master a double-decker moveset.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Isn't Kazuya's brokenness severely limited by his ludicrous skill ceiling? Pretty sure it takes a lot of effort to master a double-decker moveset.
High skill ceiling by Smash Bros standards I guess, but he's no more difficult than Ryu/Ken/Terry. He's got some easy combos to 50% and then you're already in his kill range. Frankly doesn't even need a comeback mechanic but he has one anyway. Defo in need of some nerfs.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Which is higher than most fighting games, I would argue. The number of attack buttons is just one of the things that increases the skill ceiling. In Smash one has to consider the %-meter, adjustable jumps, platforms etc.
Don't get me wrong, I love Smash Bros, but any one of the characters I listed is much more difficult both to learn and master in their own games. Chaining command input combos together is so hard to time correctly and pull off once, let alone consistently like high-level players manage to do in tournaments. Watch just a little bit of any Dragon Ball FighterZ tournament and you'll understand what I mean.

Guilty Gear Strive I'd say is the one traditional fighting game that's almost as approachable as Smash Ultimate, but not quite. Earlier entries in the series are much less beginner-friendly.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Tradition fighting games are more about action while Smash puts more emphasis on reaction. A 10-hit combo in e.g. is always executed the same way, even if the input is difficult to learn. Once you have learned it, it is always the same. In Smash there are less true combos. You have to constantly react to the changing parameters.
I am a casual Street Fighter player (highest rank B in SSF4), yet I was sometimes (but rarely) able to defeat players with the best rank if I played in an unorthodox way.
On lower skill levels the difference is even greater in Smash. Beginners have difficulty even returning back to the stage on Smash. Yet a beginner could defeat an average player in some fighting games via button mashing (e.g. with Eddy in Tekken).

Reactions: sley

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
High skill ceiling by Smash Bros standards I guess, but he's no more difficult than Ryu/Ken/Terry. He's got some easy combos to 50% and then you're already in his kill range. Frankly doesn't even need a comeback mechanic but he has one anyway. Defo in need of some nerfs.
Really? I figured having a jillion moves that work best used in concert would require more skill than... not that.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
every smash game besides ssbm and ultimate had cut characters...

brawl cutted afew ssbm ones, ssb wiiu/3ds cutted some brawl ones and so on, only ultimate kept them all really.
Yes, but now that Ultimate has all the Fighters (and was specifically advertised as such), future entries that don't will feel like a step backwards in innovation - outovation?
Just like how Sword/Shield got blasted for Dexit.

Guggimon

GBAtemp's Fucker, Alt Banned and McFuckaroo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I remember you, I've also been waiting for years to this moment. This is it.
The moment is finaly here,
Been waiting since Smash 4
I had many hopes for Ultimate when it came out:
I saw Ridley, Check
I saw K. Rool Check
Banjo & Kazooie in FP1 Check
Steve in FP2 Check
(No sign of Waluigi yet, Sadly he didn't made it, he is a assist trophy though...)
Sans.... He is kinda Playable
And now Sora Check

Its completed. My job is done here.

Reactions: Dud and Lightyose

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
The first time to trim the roster regarding Fire Emblem was missed when they re-used Marth in Brawl instead of basing both Ike and Marth on the latest Fire Emblem game(s). Then the Roy fans naturally complained. It would make sense to keep a few basic movesets and just update the FE roster accordingly.

Actually Ultimate is already missing Twilight Princess Link. I would argue he is different enough from all other Links. Since ZSS and Samus became different characters, perhaps we will one day have different versions of existing characters (Mario, Cape Mario). Smash 4 played with this idea by introducing custom special moves. But only Palutena really took advantage of this idea and it was dropped when DLC characters arrived. Perhaps Sakurai did not want to give Ryu a faster Hurricane Kick, burning Dragon Punch etc in order to not take anything away from Ken´s introduction.:creep:

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, but now that Ultimate has all the Fighters (and was specifically advertised as such), future entries that don't will feel like a step backwards in innovation - outovation?
Just like how Sword/Shield got blasted for Dexit.
do you even play fighting games? every fighting game series cuts characters from mortal Kombat and street fighters and mvc and the list keeps going.

No one keeps the entire roster all the time, ssb for wiiu/3ds had some cutted characters from ssbb and i dont think anyone call it worse game... also inovation is when you make something new, returning characters are everything but an innovation lol, its quite the opposite of the word.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think spongebob is in that smash clone with nickelodeon characters. I think it's coming to the switch.
yes that would be the game I was referencing when I said about passing the torch onto the next great fighting game

• Angry
Reactions: Chary and godreborn
D

Deleted member 568048

It's the final countdown, for the last Super Smash Bros. Ultimate character reveal. Who exactly will be that last magical DLC fighter? Will it be a sword anime boy? Another Pokemon? We'll find out soon, when the final Mr. Sakurai Presents airs in just ten minutes. You can tune into the stream, or check out our live coverage to learn who the mystery character is!

He opens with new Mii costumes.

Splatoon costume for the Octoling, Judd, DOOM Slayer, are revealed. They release on October 18th.

Here it is. We come full circle, back to the very first trailer that revealed the game, with the inkling staring into the Smash Bros logo.

Kingdom Hearts Sora appears.

There will be 9 songs included.

Night of Fate
Destiny's Force
Shrouding Dark Cloud
Hand in Hand
Blast Away! Gummi Ship II
Hollow Bastion
Scherzo Di Notte
Fragments of Sorrow
Destati

You sussy baka Mr. Sakurai :( Waluigi will always be canon in smash to us! No matter what your sus ass says Mr. Sakurai.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHNH5pnioQk