Super Mario 64 PC port has been released!

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 159,283
  • Replies 283
  • Likes 33

JorrickL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello, I am trying to compile a Windows build on Ubuntu 20.04 (on Windows 10 with WSL) from 'sm64pc_src.zip' (OpenGL) using the US ROM.
I am able to successfully compile and run a build for Ubuntu (18.04, Virtual Machine), but not for Windows.

From a fresh installation, I executed:
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

I then installed the packages using the command from @nastys, as well as the qemu-irix package:
Code:
sudo apt install build-essential pkg-config git binutils-mips-linux-gnu python3 zlib1g-dev libaudiofile-dev libsdl2-dev x11proto-randr-dev libusb-dev libglfw3-dev libusb-1.0.0-dev
sudo dpkg -i qemu-irix-2.11.0-2169-g32ab296eef_amd64.deb

WSL could not find libusb-1.0.0-dev, so I changed it to libusb-1.0-0-dev (notice the hyphen between the two zeroes). VM18.04 automatically changed it to that.

I then executed
Code:
'make TARGET_N64=0 WINDOWS_BUILD=1 -j4'

wup.c:22 did not compile to due the libusb include, so I changed the include <libusb.h> to <libusb-1.0/libusb.h>

after cleaning and rebuilding, I encountered the following error message:
Code:
g++: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mwindows’
make: *** [Makefile:702: build/us_pc/sm64.us.f3dex2e.exe] Error 1

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Last edited by JorrickL,

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, I am trying to compile a Windows build on Ubuntu 20.04 (on Windows 10 with WSL) from 'sm64pc_src.zip' using the US ROM.
I am able to successfully compile and run a build for Ubuntu (18.04, Virtual Machine), but not for Windows.

From a fresh installation, I executed:
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

I then installed the packages using the command from @nastys, as well as the qemu-irix package:
Code:
sudo apt install build-essential pkg-config git binutils-mips-linux-gnu python3 zlib1g-dev libaudiofile-dev libsdl2-dev x11proto-randr-dev libusb-dev libglfw3-dev libusb-1.0.0-dev
sudo dpkg -i qemu-irix-2.11.0-2169-g32ab296eef_amd64.deb

WSL could not find libusb-1.0.0-dev, so I changed it to libusb-1.0-0-dev (notice the hypen between the two zeroes). VM18.04 automatically changed it to that.

I then executed
Code:
'make TARGET_N64=0 WINDOWS_BUILD=1 -j4'

wup.c:22 did not compile to due the libusb include, so I changed the include <libusb.h> to <libusb-1.0/libusb.h>

after cleaning and rebuilding, I was encountered the following error message:
Code:
g++: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mwindows’
make: *** [Makefile:702: build/us_pc/sm64.us.f3dex2e.exe] Error 1

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
i had the exact same problems and couldnt find a fix. maybe it works better on a complete linux vm

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
This is to complicetad to set up and a drag tbh. I thought it would be like exe or something x)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

countdown to DMCA! oh and nintendo will find it. they have TOP MEN working on it right now
Already??

To be perfectly honest, Nintendo is like Don Quixote here, seriously... Why do they bother... It will just keep coming and coming and coming and coming and.............. the real enemy here is Nintendo them self, they need to face their daemons first and look for some help (possible from Sega, but they wont admit that though..)

Last edited by MetoMeto,

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It works on Arch Linux
Screenshot_20200505_142013.png

Reactions: Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why do they bother... It will just keep coming and coming and coming and coming and.............. the real enemy here is Nintendo them self, they need to face their daemons first and look for some help (possible from Sega, but they wont admit that though..)
If you have trademarks and care to use them then you can't be allowing fan games being called the same thing as you game to be plastered all across the front pages of the press. Mainly as when you get into court for a real battle about your trademark the opposing side might say "well it looked like they abandoned it, I mean check out all these games using the name with articles in the biggest news sites seen millions of times, millions of downloads...", not to mention customers calling up asking about support for things.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
People that have PC game modding skills are already reviewing the source for this, so expcet to get hotfixes, QoL improvements, model and texture upgrades and even ports for other platforms. Personally something I would pay to see is to get the extras that the DS version added.

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
If you have trademarks and care to use them then you can't be allowing fan games being called the same thing as you game to be plastered all across the front pages of the press. Mainly as when you get into court for a real battle about your trademark the opposing side might say "well it looked like they abandoned it, I mean check out all these games using the name with articles in the biggest news sites seen millions of times, millions of downloads...",

not to mention customers calling up asking about support for things.
I mean it will never end, that was my point. Sega was not so rigorous and stiff about it. I just prefer approach like that.

Lol it would be interesting to see Nintendo employees face when that's happening xD

Last edited by MetoMeto,
D

Deleted User

OP
Over 58.000 views. The hype for this port is insane!:blink:

Edit: Updated the first post. More info and videos.

Last edited by ,

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People that have PC game modding skills are already reviewing the source for this, so expcet to get hotfixes, QoL improvements, model and texture upgrades and even ports for other platforms. Personally something I would pay to see is to get the extras that the DS version added.
I wouldn't pay. But otherwise, I like your reply.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Over 58.000 views. The hype for this port is insane!:blink:

Edit: Updated the first post. More info and videos.
I guess congratulations on being the better discussion than can be found at polygon.

If you want to do update 2 it might be worth noting source code (rather than just a binary like it initially appeared) for this version and not just the original decompilation is available, and possibly even include one of the diffs people have been linking. I don't know if we have a reasonably foolproof and free build method that mortals can use (even if it is 10 times larger than a proper mingw or whatever install) but if there is that then do that too.

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
trying to compile SDL ver on Manjaro (archlinux based) on raspberry pi 4 (aarch64) and get
Code:
as -I include -I build/us_pc --defsym VERSION_US=1 -MD build/us_pc/sound/sequences/00_sound_player.d -o build/us_pc/sound/sequences/00_sound_player.o sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s: Assembler messages:
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:87: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:88: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:89: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:92: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:93: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:194: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:195: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:197: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:200: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:202: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:225: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:225: Error: unknown mnemonic `restore' -- `restore the value'
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:227: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:228: Error: too many positional arguments
make: *** [Makefile:677: build/us_pc/sound/sequences/00_sound_player.o] Error 1

Anyone have any ideas? :P

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
trying to compile SDL ver on Manjaro (archlinux based) on raspberry pi 4 (aarch64) and get
Code:
as -I include -I build/us_pc --defsym VERSION_US=1 -MD build/us_pc/sound/sequences/00_sound_player.d -o build/us_pc/sound/sequences/00_sound_player.o sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s: Assembler messages:
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:87: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:88: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:89: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:92: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:93: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:194: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:195: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:197: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:200: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:202: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:225: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:225: Error: unknown mnemonic `restore' -- `restore the value'
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:227: Error: too many positional arguments
sound/sequences/00_sound_player.s:228: Error: too many positional arguments
make: *** [Makefile:677: build/us_pc/sound/sequences/00_sound_player.o] Error 1

Anyone have any ideas? :P
What was your make command?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!