coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm about to buy these parts from Newegg to build a new computer:

http://tinyurl.com/5soycu

So, any objections? Anything missing? Please provide input.
rolleyes.gif

furbyhaterex

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
It looks good, I'd probably invest in a better speaker system and exchange the cpu for a Q6600 which is about the same price, and should easily overclock to at least 3GHz with stock fan.
Do you really need a SLI-capable motherboard?
I have no idea if raidmax is a good brand (is their integrated PS of good quality?).

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The E7200 is MUCH cheaper than the E8400, and can be easily overclocked to match it in performance (with no voltage increase)

D

Deleted User

My advice would be to get a smaller 80 GB drive to put your OS and system files on then have the separate 500GB for storage and installed programs. Then you won't have your driver needle skating all over the 500GB's partitions all the time. I recently made a computer for a friend and did this, seems to work a treat. Makes good sense in the end even if just for maintenance reasons.
I'd also look into a 9800 GTX to go with that processor but that's just me being greedy.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
amptor said:
E8400 cpu is good for gaming, the Q6600 uses more power and is slower in almost all areas but still is a good cpu.
E8400 is not only cheaper, but also faster. However, the reason is that we do not have that many quad core optimized programs. If you are a gamer, I'd say go for the E8400, as Crysis runs better on that thing. I bought Q6600 for so much... yet the E8400 was cheaper. Oh well.

Do NOT get the 9800GTX, as it uses the exact same GPU as the later 8800 series. Also the motherboard is nforce, which is not that good. The 750i has ALOT of problems. I would suggest going Gigabyte of Asus P35 chip.

D

Deleted User

True that but I hear it runs a little faster.

Also you'll need a descent power supply for all that gear. I wouldn't use the one that comes with the tower they're usually generic and not very good. I'd shell out for at least a 650 watt to power all that gear.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the advice guys.
smile.gif

I ended up getting a (cheaper) Gigabyte Intel motherboard and a 450W Corsair PSU (which I think is more than enough) plus an Antec 900 as the case. Yeah, I'm not going to be needing SLI.

QUOTE said:
I'd also look into a 9800 GTX to go with that processor but that's just me being greedy.
I did some research and found that the 8800GTS 512 is basically the same as the 9800GTX except that it is clocked slightly slower and lacks tri-SLI support. The 8800GTS also had a very nice $50 MIR on it, bringing the price down to just $160 if you factor that in. So the 8800GTS it is.

Everything else (cooling, etc.) I'm going to use stock. Never heard of any problems with Wolfdales and stock cooling.

Yep, I already ordered the parts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...