Hacking Struggling to understand some file types (Images)

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I'm part of a team working on a translation patch for the Kuroshitsuji/ Black Butler DS Game Phantom & Ghost (JPN) that was released in 2009! Using Tinke and Crystal Tile 2 I've been able to open and edit the NCGR+NCLR+ NSCR/NANR+NCER files. However, there are a lot of images I haven't been able to find (such as character sprites and backgrounds), but more importantly 'cut in's and some mini game images which have text that needs to be translated.

I'm taking an (un)educated guess that the images I'm looking for are in data>tex folder which contains .txc files, although there's another folder dir which contains .dac's that I'm not really sure what to do with either. Using an extractor (ButlerTrans, created for this game by DarthNemesis), the .txc files become .xttn (.nttx?) and dac becomes .gmif, .mnaf and .tlpf.

I've tried to do a thorough search but have not found any solutions on what these are or how to open them. It seems like they might be cache files but that doesn't mean much to me ^^' (Not a technical wiz here...)

Is there anyone who recognises what these are/can point me in the right direction to go about opening and editing them? (Preferably as idiot-friendly as possible!) Thank you!!

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
so the .tlpf is the pallete file in tinke open as pallete. the gmif is the image file(tinke open as image) and mnaf is the animation file. in ct2 you would view the pallete file in hex and click various places in it and use -edit then data to pallete conversion. then click on the gmif file and fiddle with with the setting until you see an actual image in tile view(F5) . I am saying this without the actual game to back me up.
you may need to change the height width offset and type of tile to view it right. tinke may or may not load the pallete file the right way just as it may not load the gmif properly either. I would check those files for magic stamps of ncgr nclr or nscr (or backwards). any questions ask again...

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rastsan, thanks so much for responding!!! I'm sorry it took me so long to reply, I didn't see the alert D''x

I'm able to just about view it with Tinke :DD (I never knew about the 'open as..' command before, thank you!!)
Being able to open it in Tinke helps me get the width and height to test in CT2 which is a big help! The settings are similar to the ones needed to view the ncgrs (GBA 8bpp), however those needed image pattern ObjH-1234, whereas the GMIF need it set to 'Tile'.

Though, I can't quite get the palette right. Here's a comparison of the original to what I'm able to get in Tinke and CT2. The palette from CT2 is done by converting the .tlpf data to palette. If I open the tlpf as a palette and export it from Tinke instead, it looks a bit better, but it still not displaying correctly. This file only has one palette, I did notice some that had two, (as they have two images that overlay in animation... of course it's the ones I want to translate(!)) Thankfully they display alright, but neither palette matches perfectly, although that might be an expected behaviour for multi-palettes, I'm don't know ^^'

So, magic stamps are things that are visible in hex... (Bear with me on this, I'm new to that too..!) What I'm seeing is "FIMG" and "BIMG". FIMG the filetype GMIF in reverse, but I now know it stands for File IMaGes which is a good sign to me haha! Not finding anything on BIMG. I used the data from here and CT2 search to see if it was coming up with any "RGCN" or "NCGR" and the like but it didn't find anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/AjP7B2QFB9E?si=5qT8Ov9brYiIhoGi