Hacking Streammygame and future 3ds homebrew.

Bluemoo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So cloud computing is pretty great and we are now seeing cloud services that let you send video from your desktop to a lesser computer so you can play high end games on a low end machine. Now since 3ds has way better video support do you think it would be possible with future homebrew to do some cloud gaming from your desktop onto your 3ds? In many instances I can see this as being impractical, due to the small screen, but with some clever ways of doing the input, via touchpad i.e. mouse, do you think it would be playable if possible, or enjoyable?

rufus83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember playing all the way through Half Life 2 on my PSP with pspdisp. That was an amazing program. Yes this is very possible and I'm extremely excited to imagine the 3D implications that might come with it.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, the PSP struggled to render 1 video over WiFi. It worked perfectly over USB, but the 3DS does not have that luxury. If there was a way to do 3D it would have to push through 2 video feeds for each camera angle at once. I don't know if 802.11g has enough bandwidth to support that without lag. Who knows though. We can only hope. It would pretty fucking amazing if we could have 3D PC games on the go though.... I'm drooling over the thought.

EDIT 2: Honestly though, I'm not completely sure if it was a bandwidth issue or not. Did PSP run on Wifi B or G? I know for sure that pspdisp lagged like hell on WiFi compared to USB. 54Mbits seems like a lot though. I can't see why 2 small videos couldn't be pushed through that at decent speeds. I'm kinda hammered right now and I've got thoughts just running through my head. Sorry for all the constant editing.

Bluemoo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if the tech exists for the 3d effect to be applied to a stream. Most new nvidia chips, I think from 200 series and up do 3d with stereoscopic glasses. Now I don't think this way of rendering 3d is the same as the 3ds but there are 2 images being created so in theory this should work. 3ds does have wireless g which is enough bandwidth to handle the video without lag over wifi. You have to think that nintendo had video streaming in my mind when making this.

I feel the challenge will be getting the 3ds controls to integrate with the pc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool