Gaming Stream video from PC to WiiU via Internet browser?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I do believe Universal Media Server has a web front that could be compatible. Anyone using a ps3 has probably familiarized themselves with the interface already. ^_^
Having a web interface isn't necessarily enough, it has to actually stream the media over HTTP (in MP4 format) for it to work. I think, anyway. Just going off the stuff said in this thread.

I don't know if this is the case for UMS or not (downloading it right now to try and see), if so then it could potentially already work, negating the need for a specific "WiiU Media Server".

EDIT: I've been reading up a bit more about streaming content over HTTP; by the looks of things, it may not be possible to do it with on-the-fly encoding. It may be necessary to encode everything prior to streaming. Although, I'm not completely sure as there seems to be a lot of contradictory information around the internet, and talk of various protocols for streaming over HTTP, I'm not sure exactly what the WiiU uses. If anyone does know, would it be "HTTP Live Streaming"?

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HTML5 can do just about anything flash can do. It can definitely stream video, as that was one of the "big deals" about html5. The WiiU browser is very good at html5 (I believe, as good or better than IE). As far as transcoding goes, I'm not sure how that works currently with flash based streams, but I imagine it would be something like begin the transcoding to a temp file, then create the html5 streaming video object that points to file being transcoded. Then... uh... profit?

You know, in theory, because I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
For straight up transfers with buffering like users are used to, the server would have to transcode faster than the transfer, and over LAN that's pretty fucking fast.
The source media would preferably be kept in a format the Wii U can decode in the first place (like how Youtube converts video files uploaded to it after the upload is done) before being streamed to it.

If this can be done with just HTML5 (and other supported things like JS and of course CSS), then it's likely that somebody could easily make some sort of server-sided (PHP and such) setup that runs in apache (or whatever other easy server you want) on the host's side. You would have a script that scans through files in a directory and creates a list of links from them, the links would be to the second page (with the selected filename as either GET or POST data), and the second page would take the input filename and give it to the player setup data as the file to play. Likely wouldn't even need anything other than an install of XAMPP (which is free), and the router being set to allow LAN communication (some don't by default).

I actually made something like that for the Wii way back, for music. You'd load up the page and a frame on the left would have the file list and then the music player, while the frame on the right would be a google page so you could somewhat browse the net while the music played. Hell, I even have a version that does flash files as well (more complex since it's got a rough resolution adjuster included), but of course it's limited to flash 7.

Almost nobody took any interest in the project though (I don't have a Wii so I relied on people to test for me), and it's been so long I lost the thread link (though I do have the in-progress source files still)... anybody interested in using it as a rough base?

Though it'd be easy enough to take this post and recreate the concept, if you're familiar with web development.

mori123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well look at Programs like Universal media server They manage to pull that off in 1080p so if the wii U is good i can prolly make a UMS conf file for it to auto transcode any file u try to play to wii U

webbjd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hooked up through Emit server using Emit web player on the Wii U. It will play videos in the proper format. It has an option to share your itunes. So you can also access you music in the proper format.

PrimeX

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I also use PlayOn and transcodes very well and fast anything that is not mpeg4. The .mp4 files I chose to send without transcoding because Wii U is perfectly capable of playbeck them.
But I see this as a workaround because it costs money and only for streaming I bet we can find something cheaper and better than this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto