Noob questions for new owner of WiiU system

bendraynor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi all,

I have picked up a couple of unhacked cheap WiiU systems from FB Marketplace on 5.5.5e firmware. Have previously homebrewed the Wii, PS Vita, 3DS & DS but that was roughly a decade ago so I'm super rusty and would appreciate some guidance as to what to do now :)

My questions:

- I'm planning to get a 1tb SSD to load my Wii U games. Is that a reasonable size? I just want to load maybe the top 50-100 games (no interest in getting all the obscure ones).
- Some of my game discs have got worn out and most still work fine. Is there anywhere to download copies now the official Wii U shop is closed or can I still get them from nintendo (as I understand downloads still possible in some cases)? Does the WiiU equivalent of freeshop still work or is that impossible now? If this can't be answered no problem :)
- I have all my Wii games backed up on a 1 TB HDD. I plan to keep using this rather than replace with an SSD. Is that sensible or would an SSD make a massive difference?

My overall plan:

- Get a 64GB SD card and use it to hack the Wii U with aroma AND tiramisu. Also add in the gamecube hack (I see there's a sticky which I haven't reviewed yet, so no questions about this for now!)
- Load my WiiU games on a 1 TB SSD
- Plug the separate 1 TB HDD holding my Wii games into the WiiU. Will these work automatically or do I need to reformat the Hard drive / games somehow to reflect that they are now on a WiiU? I still have the game discs so can rip them again if need be.

Will keep reading the stickies; apologies if I've asked questions already answered but I couldn't see anything specifically explaining the best way to proceed now the eshop is closed (and RIP the eshop :'( )

Thanks!! :)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
an ssd is a waste of money. the wiiu is incapable of using the added speed. you can still download those games, because they're still online, and we know how to make fake tickets. that sounds like a good plan. keep the 1TB hdd for wii games. you don't really need any bigger.

Reactions: bendraynor

bendraynor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks godreborn & SDIO for the comment re: HDD vs SSD which I will take on board. I do have a spare 1TB USB HDD lying around somewhere so I'll use that instead. :)

Will also look into VC injects!

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...