Hardware Strange USB Hard Drive Behaviors.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I've had my Wii for about forever and I hacked it on the very same day I brought it home, and kept it all up to date for the most part since then...

...everything seems to work.

Though, now I have a Wii U, and I'm giving my Wii to a special someone in my life so her and her son have something to enjoy in the years to come.

The thing is though, and I've never had this happen in all the years before, but now all of a sudden I can pull the hard drive from the Wii, plug it into my computer, fill up the movie folder with some movies and plug it back into my Wii. Ironically enough, sometimes after I have done this, the ISO's as well as Wii games from the virtual NAND no longer load. ALL homebrew and emulators continue to work as they should, yet the Wii ISO's and NAND software will not function. I always end up having to back up the drive, re-format it (FAT 32, 32k, Primary), the re-populate the drive in order to get the games to work again. Though as I said, give it time, I'll drop some movies or musick on there, and BAM, out of no where the games top loading again thus forcing me to format again.

I thought maybe it was the fact that I was using a different USB hard drive, so I switched out from the 1Tb drive I was using to a 2Tb. The 2Tb drive's load times were slower, but all the games worked and continued to work even after I had put some movies and musick on it, though as fate would have it, once I had it about 100Gb from being full, I pulled it from my PC (unmounting it first) and plugged it into the Wii only to find the games won't load yet again.

As a final attempt, I decided I'd give her my old trusty 1Tb drive that I'd been using forever without issue. Then along side that I'd give her a 2nd 1Tb drive to dedicate to movies and musick seeing as the movies and musick never mess up no matter what. Ironically enough though, I somehow managed to get my old 1Tb drive to pull the same stunt and no I'm presently backing it up so I can re-format it.

The only thing I can think of that I've done different than usual is use Linux Mint. In the past I always did all this work under Windows, which is generally known to be the one that will corrupt my portable USB drives and SD cards, which is part of the reason I set up a Linux machine, but now that I have the Linux machine set up, I'm having issues with the larger hard drives and my Wii.

So in the mean time, once my drive is done backing up and I've re-formatted it, then under Windows I'm going to throw a couple Wii ISO's on there, set up the virtual NAND, and copy over a few movies and games.
I'll test it on the Wii, make sure all is well, then move over to Linux and copy a couple more movies just to see if Linux is the root of the problem.

While I'm busy with all this non-sense, might any of you have any ideas as to why this is happening? I've tried it with WiiFlow as well as the others and all of the game loaders act the same. I've even went as far as to delete WiiFlow and all it's folders from the hard drive, as well as the save state in system memory, but even that doesn't do any good.

XDel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well according to "disks" under Linux, my oldest drive is going bad. I reformatted it in Fat32, but it still will not load games.
I then installed CFG Loader on a SD and formatted the drive to WBFS. Now it's working again. I'll re-populate and report... in case this comes in handy to someone somewhere.

XDel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange things indeed. I noticed that after a while, the drive began reporting I/O errors as I was copying over the Wii games. I then ran a Back Block check and repair program which found nothing, but ironically re-assigned the drive to a new letter and...

...after a second format to WBFS, let me fully populate it without issues.

I'm really not sure what's up here. Certainly all three of those drives can't be going bad, but it all seems to be working again, at least with WBFS so I'm sticking with it for this instance at least. She'll be happy, that's all that matters.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.