Status
Not open for further replies.

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
.... Before I traded mine in when I bought my 3DS, the shoulder buttons on mine broke after about a year. Fortunately the 3DS was a right around the corner at that point, ...

im trying to understand the logic here, i assume everyone allready owned a phat, lite, or DSiXL, before 3DS was released, so at some point they made a conscious decision to either trade or sell their older unit for 3DS.

i also assume that most have dabbled in Wii softmodding, iPhone jailbreaking, or PSP CFW, so they must know that FIRMWARE IS BAD. and newer models are always harder to hack.

i can also deduce that before the purchase of a 3DS there was some compelling reason to purchase a 3DS (likely some pokemon or kingdom hearts), because at the time of said purchase they waked past the DSi section of walmart, ignoriing the DSi's for $99, the DSI XL's for $130, and possibly, DS Lites for $99, PSP Go's for $99, and PSP3000's for $129., an instead paid a whopping $250-$300 for a 3DS and kingdom hearts game.

so in other words the desire for the new kingdom hearts game completely overrided the desire for better DS flashcart compatibility on a more hacker friendly system.

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-patched roms work exactly the same.
-dont update your firmware
-again, dont update your firmware!

So, you want everyone to go out and get a CycloDS, then never update their 3DS, thus making it ENTIRELY useless for future 3DS games, the main purpose of the console?
And sure, patched roms work "exactly the same", but that's... extra work, which you claim is required for the SCDS2. Those who also LEGITIMATELY dump their roms can use them directly on the SCDS2, whereas you have to go download a patch if you want to use a CycloDS. I can't tell if this sh_tty thread of yours is supposed to be sarcastic or you really are just some delusional kid who can't afford a new flashcart and is angry at the world.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
While I do understand people saying the CycloDS(i) is not supported anymore and is a bad choice for the updated DSi/3DS, no one can say the cart is bad on a DS/DSL or 1.4.2 or below DSi/DSiXL. Most of the DS library works on the latest firmware without patching, though there are still unfixed games (unfortunately). I've got a DSLite, a DSiXL and a 3DS. I've got a R4, CycloDS, CycloDSi, DSTwo and EZ 3in1 (and used to have an AK2i, but gave it away to a friend). Still I prefer the CycloDS on the DSLite. Why? Because it suits my needs and works quite well. Would I recommend it now to someone looking for a premium flashcart? Probably not, since the DSTwo has most of the same functionality (and some more too) and it's updated (to date, nothing known about the future, as always).

It's kinda odd that people bash the cart for reasons that don't affect many of the users. Just like Dr Zoidberg said, it works for him. Old hardware is as many have said, old hardware. I was disappointed that Team Cyclops stopped supporting the CycloDS (and CycloDSi I guess) while the DS had life in it. Currently the DS release list is starting to look more and more like the GBA in its last days. If they had dropped support now with the latest DSi firmware supported, I would recommend the card for all DS/DSL/DSi/DSiXL owners.

TL;DR: The CycloDS is far from perfect, but it is still a good cart for quite a few people. If you already have one working cart, do you need to buy a new one to get it working on the same old hardware many seem to use?

ps. Mostly using the DSTwo with the DSiXL due to the screen size, so hopefully I won't get a shitstorm of replies calling me a fanboy or something. Haven't we gotten over the fanboy ranting on this site with preferences and the likes relating to commercial products like these?

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, you want everyone to go out and get a CycloDS, then never update their 3DS, thus making it ENTIRELY useless for future 3DS games, the main purpose of the console?
And sure, patched roms work "exactly the same", but that's... extra work, which you claim is required for the SCDS2. Those who also LEGITIMATELY dump their roms can use them directly on the SCDS2, whereas you have to go download a patch if you want to use a CycloDS. I can't tell if this sh_tty thread of yours is supposed to be sarcastic or you really are just some delusional kid who can't afford a new flashcart and is angry at the world.

yes actually, FIRMWARE IS BAD!, DONT UPDATE!. and not updating is the price you pay for piracy. you have thousands of free games you illegally downloaded, in other words STOLE!, and you still think were entitled to more. if the latest kingdom hearts or Pokeclone means that much to you, then give up piracy and go legit. the 3DS just wasn't made for unauthorized devices, deal with it. if you have $200 to pay for 3DS and $40 a game (and probably PS3 and iPad), then theres no reason you cant buy a $40 used DS Lite off ebay.

its not "extra work" actually,
1. load DSBuff,
2. select game,
3. profit!

compared to all the hassle and headaches and annoyances of the Supercard, patching a few games is Nothing. you have to work to get cheats, you have to work to find firmware, you have to work to change the menu, you have to work to get EZ 3-in-1 working. its a nightmare. Cyclo just works straight out of the tin, no fiddling or fussing required.

and no actually, i own every model of Supercard from SC compact flash GBA (love it) all the way to SC DS Two. and my personal experience with SC DS has been frustration, annoyance, and headache from start to finish.

but sure, it playz all da gamez.

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
yes actually, FIRMWARE IS BAD!, DONT UPDATE!. and not updating is the price you pay for piracy. you have thousands of free games you illegally downloaded, in other words STOLE!, and you still think were entitled to more. if the latest kingdom hearts or Pokeclone means that much to you, then give up piracy and go legit. the 3DS just wasn't made for unauthorized devices, deal with it. if you have $200 to pay for 3DS and $40 a game (and probably PS3 and iPad), then theres no reason you cant buy a $40 used DS Lite off ebay.

We want our cake, and we want to eat it too because it just looks so delicious. Also - not everyone pirates. Yes, the vast majority of people do, but some are really just using flash carts for the homebrew scene. Don't exclude these people - they're flash cart users too, and we all want to use the services we paid for.

No Nintendo DS model was built for piracy. That point doesn't fly here. Because people want piracy for a variety of reasons (usually monetary constraints, or the convenience of having all games in one cart and not losing every single game) it's the reason why our DS scene has progressed. It's also fun to play homebrew - it's a rather different experience.

People also have different amounts of money at different times. My 3DS is two years old. I happened to have a $200 gift card to spend on it. I'm broke as shit now, and I'm not buying games. I don't have the $40 at the moment. Maybe in the future I will, but certainly not now.

compared to all the hassle and headaches and annoyances of the Supercard, patching a few games is Nothing. you have to work to get cheats, you have to work to find firmware, you have to work to change the menu, you have to work to get EZ 3-in-1 working. its a nightmare. Cyclo just works straight out of the tin, no fiddling or fussing required.

What hassles and headaches? I had no problem flashing it and getting it to run. I just drag and drop the games on the cartridge. It's easy once you figure out how everything works. Supercard works "straight out of the tin" too, but of course there's a little work involved if you want to actually take advantage of extra features. Honestly, though, I never used cheats with the AK2i, and I don't use them with the DSTwo. Firmware- had no issue locating. There's a nice thread on GBATemp that tells you how to get everything working, quite simply in fact.

and no actually, i own every model of Supercard from SC compact flash GBA (love it) all the way to SC DS Two. and my personal experience with SC DS has been frustration, annoyance, and headache from start to finish.

My Supercard was no headaches, and I'm sure other users agree. I'm thinking this is your standard PEBKAC error.

Reactions: gamefan5

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Everyone's got a Supercard, and I'm just sitting here with my Acekard 2i ... :mellow:

Same but with DSTT.

im trying to understand the logic here, i assume everyone allready owned a phat, lite, or DSiXL, before 3DS was released, so at some point they made a conscious decision to either trade or sell their older unit for 3DS.

i also assume that most have dabbled in Wii softmodding, iPhone jailbreaking, or PSP CFW, so they must know that FIRMWARE IS BAD. and newer models are always harder to hack.

i can also deduce that before the purchase of a 3DS there was some compelling reason to purchase a 3DS (likely some pokemon or kingdom hearts), because at the time of said purchase they waked past the DSi section of walmart, ignoriing the DSi's for $99, the DSI XL's for $130, and possibly, DS Lites for $99, PSP Go's for $99, and PSP3000's for $129., an instead paid a whopping $250-$300 for a 3DS and kingdom hearts game.

so in other words the desire for the new kingdom hearts game completely overrided the desire for better DS flashcart compatibility on a more hacker friendly system.
Can you stop saying ''FIRMWARE IS BAD'' because you don't even know whats Firmware.
If firmware is that bad, then how come you update your Cyclo DS? It runs off a firmware too that NEEDS TO BE UPDATED, so why are you against 3DS and DSi updating and still claming that CycloDS is a god? CycloDS is a piece of shit compared to DSTWO, ask everyone.
This thread is useless and so its the time you're wasting trying to counter back on posts that make sense.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Indeed, so what aren't you understanding. Let me walk you through my DS owning series:

I got a DS phat the month it was released.
I traded in my DS phat the month the DSi came out and bought a DSi for the remainder of the money.
I traded in my DSi about 2 months into the life of the 3DS and bought a 3DS for the remainder of the money.

I stated that before I traded in my DSi to buy my 3DS, the shoulder buttons busted. Thats it, this shouldn't be hard to figure out beyond that.

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Indeed, so what aren't you understanding. Let me walk you through my DS owning series:

I got a DS phat the month it was released.
I traded in my DS phat the month the DSi came out and bought a DSi for the remainder of the money.
I traded in my DSi about 2 months into the life of the 3DS and bought a 3DS for the remainder of the money.

I stated that before I traded in my DSi to buy my 3DS, the shoulder buttons busted. Thats it, this shouldn't be hard to figure out beyond that.

In simpler terms, what Duffmmann was saying, is that he traded in his old DS systems with the end result of a cheaper 3DS.

Some of us don't hold on to our older electronics. In times when we simply don't want to spend as much money, or think "why the hell not", humans do trade in electronics if given the opportunity.

The whole "everyone owns some form of DS" misconception is a misconception for a variety of reasons, including this one. The other reason are: systems break, we give them to friends and family, or we move onto PSP/Vita, as well as many other reasons.

Reactions: duffmmann

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear, OP just makes these threads to defend himself... people will buy a flashcart for their system, not buy a system for their flashcart. If all you have / can afford is a DS, then by all means, get a $5 R4, or if you want to keep your DSi on a really low firmware and be able to access ROMs without internet access, get the abandoned CycloDSi.

... but people sure as sh_t shouldn't spend ~$60-$100 just to get an old DS when they can simply spend $40 for a card that can be updated for their already-owned 3DS/DSi, it's far more economical. Where the hell is the logic in spending more for an old system when you can spend less on a cartridge that can be updated for newer ones? Pointless thread overall.

Edit: What the hell? You complain about the ease of use to get the DSTWo's usrcheat.dat file (extremely easy) but you need help finding CycloDS' own cheats file? That has to be one of the sh_ttiest arguments I've ever seen made. I took a screenshot in case you plan on going back to edit that post, since that seems very likely to be something that you'd do.

You also said that there were "no good games on the DSi" anyway so there was no need to update and break the CycloDSi, but you started a thread saying you plan on collecting DSiWare. So you want to collect "bad games", I guess? ... and you need to be on the latest firmware to access the eShop for that -- oh wait, FIRMWARE IS BAD! FIRMWARE IS BAD! right? FURTHERMORE (Jesus Christ, so many flaws in your so many "arguments") you even claimed in that thread that the DSi XL's screen was "sharper and crisper" and that you could just hold Select to make the 3DS' screen 'identical' to the DS Lite's, so I don't know why the hell you're making up "stretching" arguments now.

You don't even know what the hell Firmware is! Holy crap!
You even complain about the quality of DS builds after the Phat, and then you make this PoS thread?

You seriously have issues if you need to post this drivel for attention.
3Glm0.png

Yeah, I spent way too much time on this kid. Got lost listening to anime OPs.

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have some questions because this is a fascinating mystery
where did you trade it in?
and how much did you save on the trade in?

so at some point you were thinking to yourself, should i buy a 3DS, or should i buy a DSi XL?
you choose 3DS. that means that DS games and homebrew just aren't that important to you. and "GameX" was more important.

so whats wrong with just playing the amazing 3DS library until the Gateway gets released?

ill give you an example:
-its 2005, "John Doe" buys a brand new "DS Phat". flashcarts are flacky. better wait.
-2006, John Doe upgrades to "DS Lite" he buys (insert cart name).
-2008, John Doe upgrades to DSi XL for the bigger screen, but OH NO!, DSi now blocks his old (cart name), everyone's still on 1.4.1, he chooses an iTouch2, seems legit.
-September 28, 2011, John gets an email from nintendo, FREE ZELDA GAME! LIMITED OFFER!
-September 29, 1.4.3 FW, realized he made the biggest mistake of his life. must buy new cart.
-john has the choice of $15 R4 Vs. a whopping $38 SCDS2, now obviously hes going to choose the cheaper option, because all the carts still work on 3DS firmwares in 2011.

ok, now the next part is what i don't understand, WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS 1.4.3u DSi XL and R4? just threw it in the garbage?

nobody in their right mind would upgrade firmware after being screwed by the zelda offer. nor would they sell a perfectly good 1.4.3 DSi, knowing how valuable it is. and the 3DS lineup was still lackluster at best. and if it was just the case of "it broke" he could have sent it for repairs or bought another, so what the heck happened

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Not everyone on here is a pirate nor do they always hack their systems to be a pirate. Also piracy is not theft
piracyisnottheft.jpg
You make it sound like giving up piracy and wanting to buy and own games sound like bad thing.

its not "extra work" actually,
1. load DSBuff,
2. select game,
3. profit!
If you are going to use a meme use it properly
1. load DSBuff,
2. select game,
3. ???
4. profit!
Because you know, it comes with the firmware pre-installed right out of the box and doesn't need to be flashed.
and no actually, i own every model of Supercard from SC compact flash GBA (love it) all the way to SC DS Two. and my personal experience with SC DS has been frustration, annoyance, and headache from start to finish. Love that contradiction.

but sure, it playz all da gamez.
I actually own flashcards, but they are not used for downloaded roms, they are used for single save file games that my boyfriend and I both wanted to play, but couldn't afford a second copy.

The rest of your posts appear to be just as equally flawed and nonsensical. You seem to lack a basic understanding of what a firmware is and how it works, assume everyone who hacks or owns a flashcards is a pirate, and suggest if you are going legit, then you can afford to continue to pirate. I am having a hard time understanding any of your logic in this thread.

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@ Saturosias...

holy crap, obsessive much! its really not that important. jesus, if it means that much to you to spend hours digging up Necro-posts, just to "win" an internet argument. then fine, i hereby bestow upon you the 1st annual temp award for greatest articulation skills ever witnessed, Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, here's your crown sir.

and im not sure whats so hard to understand for you. i own 3 DSi XL's, two 1.4.1's that will NEVER be upgraded, and one used 1.4.4 i got for $40 on ebay. i thought about keeping the 1.4.4 for DSiWare, but after realizing how much garbage is on it, i ended up refurbishing the used DSi XL and selling it for $80, (thats a Profit of $40 btw). the re-release of Flipnote, and Cave Story on 3DS was a factor in my decision.

thats also why i own a 3DS XL, and never worry about updates, because i allready own a 1.4.1 DSi XL plus a DS Lite for my Flashcart needs. really this is not complicated. yes, the DSi's display is better than the 3DS's for DS games. nothing wrong there, i never said otherwise. and yes using the 3DS select trick results in the exact same as a DS Lite, thats why its better to play on a DS Lite, and NOT have to buy an overly expensive, poorly designed flashcart.

sigh, yes i know what firmware is, 3DS uses Firmware updates to block carts Genius! if you dont even understand that then theres no hope for you whatsoever.

PJM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I swear, OP just makes these threads to defend himself... people will buy a flashcart for their system, not buy a system for their flashcart. If all you have / can afford is a DS, then by all means, get a $5 R4, or if you want to keep your DSi on a really low firmware and be able to access ROMs without internet access, get the abandoned CycloDSi.

... but people sure as sh_t shouldn't spend ~$60-$100 just to get an old DS when they can simply spend $40 for a card that can be updated for their already-owned 3DS/DSi, it's far more economical. Where the hell is the logic in spending more for an old system when you can spend less on a cartridge that can be updated for newer ones? Pointless thread overall.

Edit: What the hell? You complain about the ease of use to get the DSTWo's usrcheat.dat file (extremely easy) but you need help finding CycloDS' own cheats file? That has to be one of the sh_ttiest arguments I've ever seen made. I took a screenshot in case you plan on going back to edit that post, since that seems very likely to be something that you'd do.

You also said that there were "no good games on the DSi" anyway so there was no need to update and break the CycloDSi, but you started a thread saying you plan on collecting DSiWare. So you want to collect "bad games", I guess? ... and you need to be on the latest firmware to access the eShop for that -- oh wait, FIRMWARE IS BAD! FIRMWARE IS BAD! right? FURTHERMORE (Jesus Christ, so many flaws in your so many "arguments") you even claimed in that thread that the DSi XL's screen was "sharper and crisper" and that you could just hold Select to make the 3DS' screen 'identical' to the DS Lite's, so I don't know why the hell you're making up "stretching" arguments now.

You don't even know what the hell Firmware is! Holy crap!
You even complain about the quality of DS builds after the Phat, and then you make this PoS thread?

You seriously have issues if you need to post this drivel for attention.
3Glm0.png

Yeah, I spent way too much time on this kid. Got lost listening to anime OPs.
i had to log in on my phone just to like and reply to this, you made my night, and good detective skills :)

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
holy crap, obsessive much! its really not that important. jesus, if it means that much to you to spend hours digging up Necro-posts, just to "win" an internet argument.

Considering I actually did [thoroughly] debunk what you said, it's quite important in context, stop speaking in vague terms. And yeah, it didn't take "hours", it took 3 minutes of copying links from your Threads history and puu.sh'ing screenshots, which takes two entire additional seconds. If you're going to use tough internet speak like a cocky assh_le, earn the right to do so. You're obviously incapable of piecing together a proper response, so I'll just leave the thread as-is. Enjoy your one-sided "discussion".

Edit: Holy sh_t, thanks for editing your post, I really needed a signature! Seriously, giant thanks!

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must ask, why the fuck is this still open and getting so many replies? Team Cyclops has collapsed for quite some time, best we move on and pick a different flashcart.

Reactions: gamefan5

Zombie_X

Trophies
Website
www.zombie-x.com
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion if it was still supported, it would be the best card on the market. However they dropped support and so it is no better than for example the original R4 or even the newer M3 cards.

Oh the original R4 forums.. I was a big contributor there. I made some huge application packs for the R4 users and then the forum went down, the site went down, and they never came back.

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The rest of your posts appear to be just as equally flawed and nonsensical. You seem to lack a basic understanding of what a firmware is and how it works, assume everyone who hacks or owns a flashcards is a pirate, and suggest if you are going legit, then you can afford to continue to pirate. I am having a hard time understanding any of your logic in this thread.

why do people try to turn everything into a flame war? i made a perfectly valid observation, and all i get is HATE MAIL.

i will reiterate: THIS IS NOT A SUPERCARD FLAME WAR. i am merely stating my personal opinion. (but btw, the supercard section of this forum is filled with "SC is best" threads, so its pretty sad nobody is allowed to express a different opinion), its all down to your own personal choice.

does the 3DS not use Firmware updates now?

Nintendo 3DS system software is a set of updatable firmware versions and software frontend on the Nintendo 3DS video game console.

for the same reason, if you want a Jailbroken iPhone, you don't update the firmware, its the exact same concept with the 3DS or DSi. a real homebrew enthusiast doesn't update the firmware. why spend upwards of $40 on an extra cart if you allready have an Acekard 2i lying around? isnt that a waste of money?

yes, it works for now. but you are limiting your choices. whats wrong with choice?

i can guarantee everybody who bought a 3DS, bought at LEAST 1 retail game. personally, if i had $50 for a 3DS game, i would rather spend the $50 towards a ds lite that could run ANY flashcart on the planet.

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Considering I actually did [thoroughly] debunk what you said, it's quite important in context, stop speaking in vague terms. And yeah, it didn't take "hours", it took 3 minutes of copying links from your Threads history and puu.sh'ing screenshots, which takes two entire additional seconds. If you're going to use tough internet speak like a cocky assh_le, earn the right to do so. You're obviously incapable of piecing together a proper response, so I'll just leave the thread as-is. Enjoy your one-sided "discussion".

yes keep on thinking that if it makes you feel any better. you are obviously insecure about something.

but here in reality land nothing i said has been debunked. as i exposed in my previous post. good night troll.

ZAFDeltaForce

Specialist
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
I still have my launch day R4 (which is working flawlessly despite the spring-loaded mechanism) and I think it's the best card I've ever used.

I will admit though, that today, it would be shit without YellowGoblin's Wood R4 firmware because the original team stopped supporting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @yeager1239 read thru here and if not answered, create a thread and ask...