Gaming Steam Games Coming to Consoles?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, steam is a platform. Each console company has its own process to get games published on its platform. It'll be up to the maker/publisher of the game as to which platform to try and get it on. If it's too pricey, or the hurdles are too high, then it might not show up. That's before you start talking about optimization for that platform.

Hey, just email the people who made the game and ask :D worst you'll get is no response.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

sniper_x002

Trophies
XP
Country
Steam (or VALVe I should say) doesn't control what games are on both platforms (excluding valve's games), that's up to the publishers/developers.

This thread is also titled in a very confusing way. You make it sound as if no steam games are on consoles.

Are you talking about cross platform multiplayer/

Reactions: gnmmarechal

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I honestly find it so strange that Steam itself hasn't landed onto Xbox/PS4. That just seems like such an intuitive move they should've done from the start TBH. Easier said than done, but if Steam has landed onto PC, OS X, and freaking Ubuntu, where the variation of machines that run those OSes varies from electric potato to supercomputers, I'm sure getting it right for consoles' specific specs won't be an issue.

Not all games would automatically work that way, obviously, but the Steamplay (or whatever it's called) stuff should.

Last edited by Lucifer666, , Reason: wank

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I honestly find it so strange that Steam itself hasn't landed onto Xbox/PS4. That just seems like such an intuitive move they should've done from the start TBH. Easier said than done, but if Steam has landed onto PC, OS X, and freaking Ubuntu, where the variation of machines that run those OSes varies from electric potato to supercomputers, I'm sure getting it right for consoles' specific specs won't be an issue.

Not all games would automatically work that way, obviously, but the Steamplay (or whatever it's called) stuff should.
I don't see why they'd do this. Games would not work automatically at all. I don't know what you mean by Steamplay. Steam game streaming? That could work, but many games that are only for Windows would have to be ported, and this is NOT up to Valve. It'd be essentially a competitor to PSN. I mean, this makes no sense. Sony/Microsoft have no interest in competition for software sales.

Steam may be available for Linux, but only games that have been ported to Linux or natively built for it work on Linux regardless of that.

I can see a number of reasons for Steam not to be on consoles.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see why they'd do this. Games would not work automatically at all. I don't know what you mean by Steamplay. Steam game streaming? That could work, but many games that are only for Windows would have to be ported, and this is NOT up to Valve. It'd be essentially a competitor to PSN. I mean, this makes no sense. Sony/Microsoft have no interest in competition for software sales.

Steam may be available for Linux, but only games that have been ported to Linux or natively built for it work on Linux regardless of that.

I can see a number of reasons for Steam not to be on consoles.
Oh NVM.

I recall seeing 'Steamplay' on a number of titles on the store alongside Windows and MAC as playable platforms. I assumed that was a type of game that ran off Steam. Just looked it up and I was wrong. Titles labeled 'Steamplay' give you licenses for the game on both OSes.

So yeah I'll take back the first post. Makes sense why it's not on consoles now.

I still think Steam itself should be available on the PS4/Xbone and then have it up to the developers to publish it there as well. (+ having it linked to the PSN store somehow.)

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Oh NVM.

I recall seeing 'Steamplay' on a number of titles on the store alongside Windows and MAC as playable platforms. I assumed that was a type of game that ran off Steam. Just looked it up and I was wrong. Titles labeled 'Steamplay' give you licenses for the game on both OSes.

So yeah I'll take back the first post. Makes sense why it's not on consoles now.

I still think Steam itself should be available on the PS4/Xbone and then have it up to the developers to publish it there as well. (+ having it linked to the PSN store somehow.)
That, I call nonsense, as Microsoft/Sony would not want a competitor on their platforms.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh