Hacking Stay away from Kingston MicroSD Cards for your DS Card

kenji4861

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or I should say if you are getting one, make sure it's assembled in Japan.

Check out the difference in performance.

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah well, it might be news to you, but most of us would already know about this....and BTW, it doesn't stop at Kingston. I've held (nearly purchased at a computer/technologies market) a fake Sandisk microsd.

Bulit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
blink.gif
And I thought mine was slow.
blink.gif

Here is mine by the way.
QUOTE said:
It is a class 4 8 GB Patriot Micro SDHC that I bought for $15 new at my local electronics store.
Is mine okay?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bulit said:
blink.gif
blink.gif

Here is mine by the way.
QUOTE said:
It is a class 4 8 GB Patriot Micro SDHC that I bought for $15 new at my local electronics store.
Is mine okay?

Not spectacular , but it should be fast enough for your needs. It's the read speed which is important, not the class/ write speed. Considering you paid $15, i'd be happy enough.

Bulit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
Bulit said:
blink.gif
blink.gif

Here is mine by the way.
QUOTE said:
Is mine okay?

Not spectacular , but it should be fast enough for your needs. It's the read speed which is important, not the class/ write speed. Considering you paid $15, i'd be happy enough.
Oh; thanks. And I guess you can't expect great read speed for $15.
closedeyes.gif

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Transcend makes really good media too. I use 2 x 8G class 6 cards with a CR-5400 on my PSP.

BTW I give 5 stars for the video -- partially because of Youtube's awesomely bad auto captioning.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bulit said:
Oh; thanks. And I guess you can't expect great read speed for $15.
closedeyes.gif
To put it in perspective, the maximum you will get from any card is only 25MB/s even if you spent 10 times what you did. So 15MB/s is ok really, you get 20.5MB/s from the 8GB Toshiba Japan Class 4 cards (ie Kingston), but it's not a huge difference.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I have 3 Micro SD cards for my Cyclo, all Kingston. An 8GB main, a 2GB reserve for lesser played games, and a 1GB card for movies. None of them have ever given me any trouble, at least nothing caused by the card. The few problems I have encountered were due to my own impatience, stupidity, and in one case a bad download of Moonshell 2 which F'd up my entire laptop for hours...

The speed really doesn't bother me. It's not like I have some big luncheon to get to when I'm swapping my files over. They work with my Evo every time, that's what counts.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I am yet to test my SANDISK card (that was sold as kingston card in DealExtreme) - Class 4 4Gb.

A OEM card (no manufacturer marks, nothing) that seems to be Class6 and 8gigs has read (random and sequental) of 17 MBPS - write is 7megs on sequental and 1meg on random

... Kinda good for 14 buck OEM microSD

Sh!fT_23

Trophies
XP
Country
I have bought 7 (give or take) Kingston MicroSD cards, varying sizes, mostly 8GB with a couple of 2GB all being Class 4.
Each of these has been from DX.
All have had the exact markings of Kinston, Size, Class, etc. as well as being in retail packaging.
As well as this each card has also met the Class 4 speeds when I tested them, often above the spec.
All of these were for me or my mates to use in either our DS Flash Carts or for PSP's with a MicroSD to Memory Stick Converter and have never had an issue and I have been using some for about 2 years now.

EDIT: Wow I'm an idiot I thought this was the first page, I only included the information that is relevant now.

Sh!fT_23

Trophies
XP
Country
I have definitely not had these issues, but I'm pretty sure all my memory cards are Japanese. If your looking for fast and reasonably priced Kingston cards DX has Japanese manufactured ones (can't remember if I can link websites or not but Google DealExtreme and you'll be right). Transcend are also real nice and fast, and I have a bunch of Sandisk too (mostly USB flash drives) but I have had good result with them, but I would try too stay away from anything thats too cheap otherwise you're probably not going to get the speed your after.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sh!fT_23 said:
I have definitely not had these issues, but I'm pretty sure all my memory cards are Japanese. If your looking for fast and reasonably priced Kingston cards DX has Japanese manufactured ones (can't remember if I can link websites or not but Google DealExtreme and you'll be right). Transcend are also real nice and fast, and I have a bunch of Sandisk too (mostly USB flash drives) but I have had good result with them, but I would try too stay away from anything thats too cheap otherwise you're probably not going to get the speed your after.

Bumping is just so fucking fun, isn't it?

Also, inb4 Rydian

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?page_id=1022

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also as of today i've been on nofap for 3 months
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    so uh, yay me for breaking an addiction that many suffer from like that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe the spinach was just a metaphor. Maybe it was really meth or crack.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spinach gave him a tumor
  • BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie:
    Plasturion is working on uncensoring imagine makeup artist!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Then we will recensor it...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't want to see that shit
    +1
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Since when are bunnies pink? :ninja:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The ones you are hallucinating, or...?
    +2
  • ModernSithLord @ ModernSithLord:
    Why is someone spamming call girls in the user submitted news
    really odd
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Maybe they got alot of girls they want to call
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    yeah i just made a post about it
    looks like they are all gone
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for the update what's tomorrow's weather going to be like
    lol really?
    im not a weatherman lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm a watermelon
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    remember how i said i've been on nofap for 3 months? uhhh i'm not so sure anymore
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i was scratching my leg on my bed bc it was itchy, and that somehow made me cum
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    so did i break my streak, or was it just premature ejaculation since i was just scratching my itch on my bed?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: so did i break my streak, or was it just premature ejaculation since i was just scratching my...