Starting Tomorrow You Can Buy PS2 Games on PS4!

Starting tomorrow you can buy a few games! More will be added soon.
The games for sale as of tomorrow are:

• Dark Cloud — $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto III — $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City — $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas — $14.99
  • Rogue Galaxy — $14.99
  • The Mark of Kri — $14.99
  • Twisted Metal: Black — $9.99
  • War of the Monsters — $9.99
The games will also feature enhancements such as upscaled graphics, remote play and trophy support.

:arrow: Source

Reactions: nxwing

Patodufli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So it is like:
Hey! Did you boutgh psysical games for Ps2 and now you want to play them into your Ps4? Pfffff, in what kind of simplistic and normal world with logic do you live? The logic is in re-buying all your games in a digital format! (Defect Mogeko Wants justice :v)
a048d63419bde6fa8ab012006bd9009a-d8irltw.gif

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Mmmm.... Think about it for a moment.
When you buy a physical Playstation 2 game you are entitled to play it ON A PLAYSTATION 2 SYSTEM AND NOWHERE ELSE. Same for PS2 classics on PS3.
Yeah, Nintendo and Microsoft are nice enough to let you play old games on their newer systems but they don't have to do it.
And aside from that Sony isn't pointing a gun to your head makeing you rebuy the games.

Stop whining for things you aren't entitled.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
When you buy a physical Playstation 2 game you are entitled to play it ON A PLAYSTATION 2 SYSTEM AND NOWHERE ELSE. Same for PS2 classics on PS3.
Yeah, Nintendo and Microsoft are nice enough to let you play old games on their newer systems but they don't have to do it.
And aside from that Sony isn't pointing a gun to your head makeing you rebuy the games.

You got me there. We're not entitled to it at all. I can just play on my PS2 if I want to play a game, but the point is that their business practices are particularly shoddy.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You say that Sakitoshi but the law does usually come down in favour of those making things interoperable, it gets a bit hazy when you have to break protections but even there it is still often in favour of those making things interoperable. To that end you buy a PS2 game and the only officially sanctioned/supported means of playing it is via officially sanctioned and supported hardware but for them to come after you for using it elsewhere would probably need other contributing factors (stolen SDK or something).

Not entitled, sure. Still able to be viewed as a bit of a dick move though.

Reactions: chavosaur

Burlsol

Trophies
XP
Country

I really wouldn't say it is entitlement. More a missed opportunity.

Let's be honest here, all the consoles of this generation are lacking in terms of the number of exclusive titles for each of the consoles. The PS4 and Xbone each only have about a handful of such titles, most of them overly hyped, and relatively disappointing releases. While re-releasing old games isn't the same as new ones, it does still build value to the console since it is something that can be played on the console between major releases.

If Sony went and said that people could play their PS3, and PS2 games they already own, or have bought from PSN, it would have done something far beyond what Nintendo or Microsoft are doing. Furthermore, it would completely diffuse most of the "greatness" of Microsoft's plan to re-release original Xbox titles for the Xbox One. It would be giving existing customers added value, and adding more incentive for new customers to buy into the PS4. Instead of people re-buying games they already own, they would be more inclined to buy games they don't, meanwhile a single action would have brought several hundred games to bolster the the lacking PS4 library.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I really wouldn't say it is entitlement. More a missed opportunity.

Let's be honest here, all the consoles of this generation are lacking in terms of the number of exclusive titles for each of the consoles. The PS4 and Xbone each only have about a handful of such titles, most of them overly hyped, and relatively disappointing releases. While re-releasing old games isn't the same as new ones, it does still build value to the console since it is something that can be played on the console between major releases.

If Sony went and said that people could play their PS3, and PS2 games they already own, or have bought from PSN, it would have done something far beyond what Nintendo or Microsoft are doing. Furthermore, it would completely diffuse most of the "greatness" of Microsoft's plan to re-release original Xbox titles for the Xbox One. It would be giving existing customers added value, and adding more incentive for new customers to buy into the PS4. Instead of people re-buying games they already own, they would be more inclined to buy games they don't, meanwhile a single action would have brought several hundred games to bolster the the lacking PS4 library.
The point of a plan like that is to bring people to the platform but at this moment Sony has sold the most consoles by a big margin(although the gap is shrinking last time I checked) so they don't need to appeal to the people that badly as Microsoft or Nintendo, they need to sell while they can.
The only reason Microsoft released backward compatibility is to say to the average customer "we are better than Sony".

But don't think wrong of my, I would be happy to have the possibility of play physical PS2 games on my PS4(even when I don't have any).

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I bought GTA 3. It looks like a bit washed out. It really doesn't look like the rendering resolution was upgraded to 1080p. GTA 3 on my phone looks a bit sharper. Also as I never played the original, anyone can tell if they removed radio stations from the original PS2 version?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought GTA 3. It looks like a bit washed out. It really doesn't look like the rendering resolution was upgraded to 1080p. GTA 3 on my phone looks a bit sharper. Also as I never played the original, anyone can tell if they removed radio stations from the original PS2 version?
A good way to tell would be to check San Andreas by listening to radio X for Ozzy's Hellraiser song to play as that was removed from the phone,360, and updated steam version of the game. For the original GTA3, I do not recall any songs ever being pulled from any of the various releases of the game.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure where the complaints are coming from as the games (at least Dark Cloud, and Rogue Galaxy) are priced reasonably well. If you want to buy Dark Cloud new it'll cost a little bit more, and Rogue Galaxy? $50+ or even $20+ for used.

It's like when Nintendo decided to rerelease Metroid Trilogy on the Wii U. Sure it was just a Wii game and nothing more but do you know how much that game costs brand new? I think it's great for people like me who loved the older ps2 games and don't want to shell out more money to buy the originals (to be fair I owned DC, sold it though). Plus it's a great way to support developers and maybe it'll convince someone that games like DC need a sequel?

ON THE OTHER HAND... yeah we should be able to play our ps2 games natively on the console and hell where's ps1 support while we're at it? Every other Sony console to date supported PS1 games in some way. I'd buy Megaman Legends if I could but I can't.. because I own a PS4.

kabii-sama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So not being able to play disc based games nor to play PS2 classics titles - this thing is pretty much as useless as Nintendos Virtual Console now.

Maybe this has already been commented on in some form, but I felt the need to criticize this statement nonetheless. From day one, the Wii U (unlike the PS4) has allowed Wii owners to transfer all of the Virtual Console and WiiWare games they own straight over to their new Wii U system, retaining all save data from the games. Granted, these VC games are accessed through an isolated "Virtual Wii" mode, but a handful of them were also available on the eShop on launch date to purchase and play natively on the Wii U menu, with new ones being added regularly. Similarly to these "new" PS2 games available on the PS4, all of the VC games on the eShop had added features over their Wii Shop versions, including save states, button mapping, and Miiverse support, among other things. Yet unlike some of the PS2 games on PS4, the VC games on the eShop all have the same price as the Wii Shop versions, even with added features. Furthermore, anyone who owned the Wii versions of VC games could purchase copies of the Wii U versions (essentially upgrade to the better version) for a minimal cost of $1-$2 depending on the original system.

Nintendo often gets a lot of flack for its Virtual Console service, but if nothing else they deserve praise for the huge selection of titles available on it. On top of the existing Wii VC games being playable on the Wii U in both original and updated forms, Nintendo has also added several GBA and DS games to the Wii U VC. Plus, the Wii U can naturally play Wii games, with all discs being compatible with the system and a handful of digital versions also available. As mentioned previously, the system can even play GameCube games through homebrew. Not to say anything about the Wii U's library of original games, but with access to games from 4/5 older consoles and 2 older handhelds, I'd say the Wii U definitely has the best backwards compatibility and retro emulation of any console.

Admittedly, I'm hardly saying that the Virtual Console is perfect. It'd be nice to download VC games on multiple systems (like you can with "Classics" on Sony systems) without paying to own it on each system. And I'm sure Nintendo could have come up with a means to transfer saves from Wii VC games to the Wii U versions. But getting back to the actual topic, I feel like Sony should have done something similar with PS2 games on PS4 to what Nintendo did with VC games on Wii U. If they let people who already purchased PS2 classics from the PS Store get the new high res PS2 games at a discount (maybe like half price at least?) I'm sure more people would be willing to buy them again.

Reactions: barronwaffles

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the players

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Im so glad for pcx2 i fan play usimg the discs i already own in 1080p with anti alisinh and cheats
Stuff u sony for screwing over all ur loyal fans im done with you

I agreed with you but there are many people that still loyal to Sony. Sadly, I am not one of them. I am with you. :D

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are butthurt over nothing. It would have been nice if we could use our old ps2 discs, but you were delusional if you expected it. Not to mention most of these people will then go defend Nintendo's virtual console practices, which are nearly identical. If you already owned the games anyway it's not like you can't play them. Is it ideal, no, but stop acting like they killed your mother just because it didn't work out exactly like you wanted.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We know from how emulators work on PC, that making discs readable isn't impossible using software alone, so why can't a multi billion corperation like Sony do it? They can, but it's just money. Emulators made by normal people as a hobby can read retail discs, like PCSX2 and ePSXe. It's just money grabbing at its best. Microsoft have the right idea at least by letting you use retail 360 games in an Xbox One.

Most of the best games, or even hidden gems work on PCSX2 no problems, at least for me. I've got them running directly through steam, click the game and loads the ISO automatically. 50-60FPS at all times. Sure, there's the odd graphical glitch here and there, but it's barely noticeable compared to a few years ago.

Fatal Frame. Obscure. Dragon Quest VII. Those are three off the top of my head that I can name that PCSX2 have problems with.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Fatal Frame. Obscure. Dragon Quest VII. Those are three off the top of my head that I can name that PCSX2 have problems with.

Never played them, so I wouldn't know. THe fact is that the PS4 won't have many PS2 games, the greatest hits basically. There are few games that PCSX2 has problems with, realistically.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it is like:
Hey! Did you boutgh psysical games for Ps2 and now you want to play them into your Ps4? Pfffff, in what kind of simplistic and normal world with logic do you live? The logic is in re-buying all your games in a digital format! (Defect Mogeko Wants justice :v)
View attachment 31570
Lol damn I was coming in here to basically say the same thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Meth cake lol