Starting Tomorrow You Can Buy PS2 Games on PS4!

Starting tomorrow you can buy a few games! More will be added soon.
The games for sale as of tomorrow are:

• Dark Cloud — $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto III — $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City — $14.99
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas — $14.99
  • Rogue Galaxy — $14.99
  • The Mark of Kri — $14.99
  • Twisted Metal: Black — $9.99
  • War of the Monsters — $9.99
The games will also feature enhancements such as upscaled graphics, remote play and trophy support.

:arrow: Source

Reactions: nxwing
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Why would you need to "serialize" PS2 games to use discs? Just treat it like any other disc based game, pop in the disc when you play.

Trophy support? Most worthless thing ever. Upscaled? Do you know how much work upscaling takes? None, it's a function of the hardware. If they were uprezed that might make a slight difference, but it's still not something that would need to be done to games individually (see PCSX2 or whatever it's called).

I don't like it, and I don't have to dig out my PS2 because it's never not been out. Also, I'll play them on my CFW PS3 slim where every PS2 game I've bothered to try works nearly flawlessly, showing just how money grubbing this sort of thing is. There's no reason every PS3 shouldnt' have PS2 BC, and there's no reason PS4 shouldn't work with games you already own too.

I'm not mad, btw, I never expected Sony to behave otherwise, I'm just pointing things out.
On my 360 and PS3 I turn off the notifications of achievements/trophies because as you say, they're worthless and only serve to make unnecessary noise and even somewhat distract. Will be doing it on PS4 too when I purchase it.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
So not being able to play disc based games nor to play PS2 classics titles - this thing is pretty much as useless as Nintendos Virtual Console now.

I don't see why anyone is getting upset about having to buy the game again, if you want to play it on the new hardware. This is exactly the same issue with re-buying PSP games on the Vita. What, if any, solution can you come up with that allows you to what, serialize your existing PS2 copies? You can't, they were made for the PS2. If you want to play them, use a PS2. Sony is offering us upscaled, trophy supported PS2 classics for a price. If you don't like it, dig out your PS2.
Vita situation actually sucks because of the freaking proprierary card, meaning constant game deleting and downloading over and over again.
I wouldn't be that upset for having to rebuy games, but you do realize the difference between PS2->PS4 and PSP->Vita here? PSP games were allready mostly digitally available and I can buy almost any PSP game digitally. PS2 games, there's now 8 games available as PS2 classics aren't counted. PSP had fucking UMD so of course that would've been nightmare to do with newer system without that drive. PS4 has disc drive which should support DVD-ROM. Because PS2 has thousands of games, the game I would like on there will be there after a year or never because of licensing issues. Because I would really like to see Burnout Revenge as well, but I do not have the game, I do not have the PS2 and because of tons of licensed music, I think there's really low change of seeing it being there.

If it's technical reason (discs wouldn't work for some reason) then OK, at that point I just hope they take things seriously and release tons of those bloody games instead of really randomly selected titles once a month, but if the only reason is trophy support integration, then fuck Sony.

Cant you buy HDMI video cables for PS2? What would the difference be if you played on PS2 With that? Does THAT satisfy you guys?

EDIT: I'ts an upscaler for PS2

http://www.amazon.com/HDV-G300-HDMI-Converter-Scaler-1080P/dp/B0093JQM56
PS4 is ~native 1080p upscale you would get with an emulator. Those HDMI upscalers aren't that good either, usually get better image with regular component.

Upscaled? Do you know how much work upscaling takes? None, it's a function of the hardware. If they were uprezed that might make a slight difference, but it's still not something that would need to be done to games individually (see PCSX2 or whatever it's called).
If they are the same as those star wars games, they use higher rendering resolution (uprez)

Last edited by Mario92,
Reactions: chavosaur

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm I think that Ill just break out my PS2 or install PCSX2 before I pay Sony a second time for the pleasure of playing games I already own. Sorry but if The XBone can read the discs to give you a digital copy, The PS4 could too.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just pulled up Metacritic to make a quick list of some of the top rated PS2 titles. How many of these would you purchase/re-purchase to play on the PS4 if they were all priced $10 or less?

• Grand Theft Auto (3, San Andreas, Vice City)
  • Tony Hawk (3,4, Underground, Underground 2)
  • Metal Gear Solid (2, 3)
  • Burnout (3, Revenge, Takedown)
  • Timesplitters (1,2)
  • Persona 4
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Persona 3:FES
  • Socom (1,2,3)
  • Devil May Cry (1,2,3)
  • Katamari Damacy series
  • Giants:Citizen Kabuto

Jack_Sparrow

Ruthless Pirate
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.nintendo.com
XP
Country
United States
I just pulled up Metacritic to make a quick list of some of the top rated PS2 titles. How many of these would you purchase/re-purchase to play on the PS4 if they were all priced $10 or less?

• Timesplitters (1,2)
  • Persona 4
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Socom (1,2,3)
  • Devil May Cry (1,2,3)
  • Katamari Damacy series
One

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

• Timesplitters (1,2)
  • Persona 4
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Socom (1,2,3)
  • Devil May Cry (1,2,3)
  • Katamari Damacy series
Out of all those? Probably just Viewtiful Joe TBQH.

Old GTA is lame
Tony Hawk is Okay
Metal Gear already has the legacy collection on PS3 so I dont care much for it, as well as the HD collection on 360/PS3 so I don't care even MORE
Burnout is nice but not worth buying again
Timesplitters is pretty nice
Persona 4 has P4G which I can play on the go AND on PSTV so also don't care.
Not a Dragon Quest Fan
Persona 3 I can play on Vita so ehhhh
Socom is okay but not worth buying again
DMC has the HD collection on 360/PS3 so once again, no cares
Never liked Katamari
Never played Giants so maybe I would try it..?

If you really think about it, what PS2 games don't ALREADY have fucking remasters/collections on PS3 or whatever? The only titles I would maybe wanna play would be obscure RPG's and stuff, and now that Sony wont let you use discs and they have all the say of what gets sold, which probably requires licensing and all sorts of other complicated BS, they probably wont even bother.

Most people would just wanna play Final Fantasy or something, and hell, FFX/X-2 has an HD release on PS4 already anyway, with others rumored. No way I wanna buy my games again when I have the means to play them elsewhere.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano
S

Saiyan Lusitano

>Chavo walks in

YOU CAN PUT A 360 DISC IN YOUR XBOX ONE AND PLAY THAT WITHOUT HAVING TO REBUY IT

>Chavo runs out laughing manically
And the Wii U also (plays straight from the disc rather than download & install on the HDD as XO does), plus it can play GameCube games too albeit it has to be hacked at this point.

It's a shame Sony's being so greedy.

Reactions: cvskid

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't give you a digital copy, it just installs/downloads. You need to have the disc in the drive to play it.
My point is that it will download a drm'd copy of the game that you can play for free as long as you can prove you own it(IE: ensert a disc). Thats still a digital copy downloaded.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And the Wii U also (plays straight from the disc rather than download & install on the HDD as XO does), plus it can play GameCube games too albeit it has to be hacked at this point.

It's a shame Sony's being so greedy.

Right. So, I am not going to pay them. I hope that many people here are wiser not to buy them too. Sony is being so greedy and selfish!

Nyteshade714

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony is being so greedy and selfish!

Agreed. I know that Sony has probably put a lot of effort/money into bringing PS2 games to PS4 in the first place. Actually bringing those old games up to 1080P that looks half-decent and adding trophy support is no small matter. And I know that Sony only did this because they think they can recoup that money and then some.

That's exactly why they should release these games on PSN for people who don't have the disks, and also release a standalone PS2 emulator on the PSN that can support reading PS2 disks, and sell that for like $20 up front. They get paid for their work, and their customers can have full PS2 disk support just like Sony's biggest competitor gave to their loyal fans.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is the good thing with nintendo, they always try to have legit backwards compatibility with it's consoles. No having to worry about emulating last generation hardware with them.

Burlsol

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see why anyone is getting upset about having to buy the game again, if you want to play it on the new hardware. This is exactly the same issue with re-buying PSP games on the Vita. What, if any, solution can you come up with that allows you to what, serialize your existing PS2 copies? You can't, they were made for the PS2. If you want to play them, use a PS2. Sony is offering us upscaled, trophy supported PS2 classics for a price. If you don't like it, dig out your PS2.
The main problem is that existing consoles are aged hardware and not as reliable. Sure, there are people out there who have a fully working console, but most people playing retrogames have had to replace their old consoles a number of times just because the mechanical components weren't designed to work more than 7-8 years. This is ignoring matters like trying to locate cords, controllers, and memory cards that are still in working order.

The problem becomes more significant for those who might have been younger in the PS2 era, or who have sold, lost those systems or parts of those systems over the years. You can keep a game disk on a shelf for years without much degradation, cables, controllers and systems are a different matter.

So people might have a system that functions for moments of time, a library of games sitting on a shelf, but have not had an easily accessible way to actually play those games.

Regardless, Sony would still get alot of sales through their store even if the console supported PS2 disks. There are enough people out there who don't have their game collections sitting on a shelf, or who missed that generation completely. Or who just like the convenience of going through an online store.

Spankpanky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So in other words i can't play my disc based PS2 games and i saw somewhere that PS2 Classics will not make the jump over, so if a PS2 game comes out on PS4 and you already have it as a PS2 Classic? Pay for the game again

For the players

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Im so glad for pcx2 i fan play usimg the discs i already own in 1080p with anti alisinh and cheats
Stuff u sony for screwing over all ur loyal fans im done with you

IpsoFact0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
>Chavo walks in

YOU CAN PUT A 360 DISC IN YOUR XBOX ONE AND PLAY THAT WITHOUT HAVING TO REBUY IT

>Chavo runs out laughing manically
Congrats. Still wouldn't touch the Xbone with a ten foot pole.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Out of all those? Probably just Viewtiful Joe TBQH.

Old GTA is lame
Tony Hawk is Okay
Metal Gear already has the legacy collection on PS3 so I dont care much for it, as well as the HD collection on 360/PS3 so I don't care even MORE
Burnout is nice but not worth buying again
Timesplitters is pretty nice
Persona 4 has P4G which I can play on the go AND on PSTV so also don't care.
Not a Dragon Quest Fan
Persona 3 I can play on Vita so ehhhh
Socom is okay but not worth buying again
DMC has the HD collection on 360/PS3 so once again, no cares
Never liked Katamari
Never played Giants so maybe I would try it..?

If you really think about it, what PS2 games don't ALREADY have fucking remasters/collections on PS3 or whatever? The only titles I would maybe wanna play would be obscure RPG's and stuff, and now that Sony wont let you use discs and they have all the say of what gets sold, which probably requires licensing and all sorts of other complicated BS, they probably wont even bother.

Most people would just wanna play Final Fantasy or something, and hell, FFX/X-2 has an HD release on PS4 already anyway, with others rumored. No way I wanna buy my games again when I have the means to play them elsewhere.
"If you really think about it, what PS2 games don't ALREADY have fucking remasters/collections on PS3 or whatever?" TONS like literally over 1000 games lol thanks for coming out tho.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny