Starfox: EX released - adds new levels, music, enemies & more to the SNES classic

Starfox: EX is an extensive romhack of the 1993 Super Nintendo classic Star Fox that adds new levels, music, enemies and much more to the game.

The result of 2 years of work, authors @kandowontu, @SegaRetro92 and team have overhauled the original game with many new features, including 30/60FPS modes (although these require hardware modifications). There are even new ways to experience Star Fox with added SNES Mouse and Super Scope support!

“The Star Fox Team is back! But this time, their mission is to fight for their very existence!

The Mario Bros. have decided that the Star Fox franchise no longer has a place within the grand Nintendo universe, and has set out to destroy the Lylat System forever, with the help of characters from more successful Nintendo IPs! They have also posed as Andross in order to hire the infamous Star Wolf team, a rival band of mercenaries led by Wolf O’Donnell, to distract Star Fox while they pull off their plans! Can Fox and his team put aside their former friendship with the Nintendo All-Stars to save both the Lylat System and everything associated with their franchise?”

Experience the amazing power of the Super NES and the SuperFX chip and take full control of Starfox!

This romhack boasts dozens of amazing additions and features, including, but not limited to:

A brand new map with 17 new levels, new bosses, music, backgrounds, enemies and more!
A 3+ page pre-game menu to customize your experience!
Use the SNES Mouse, Super Scope, NTT Data Pad or Multi-Tap for a new way to play!
Play with 2/3/4/5 people, AI controlled teammates, or ships all controlled by player 1!
Wireframe mode, grid lines, palette changes and more!
Customize your player ship and crosshair style with new crosshair functionality!
A full model test viewer, BGM/SFX test menu and Super Scope Calibration screen!
Experience the passion project that has seen thousands of hours dedicated to it: Starfox: EX

Twitter: @kandowontu Discord: discord.gg/U4CtzqDGa5

ROM / ISO Information:
Database match: Star Fox (USA) (Rev 2)
Database: No-Intro: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20210222-050638)
File SHA-1: 2E77E250501D9B232630AEECC1E5505CF2327484
File CRC32: C056B80C
ROM SHA-1: CF08148CD8F26D51F8C67C956179DFC594E7A4F1
ROM CRC32: 8FC4E6D0

:arrow: Starfox: EX (Romhacking.net)

Thank you for reading! If you enjoy browsing GBAtemp please consider donating to help support us. Donate Now

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best emulator to play this in for 60fps and CPU overclocking? On PC.
Try the "Snes9x" emulator. To change the Super FX CPU speed, select 'Emulation'>'Hacks' and then set a new value. Don't do it too much over the limit, as this can break the game constantly.

Reactions: krakenx

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Why go through this insane amount of effort on new features and content for the game to still run at like 5fps? Looks like shit like it always has.

Total eye rape. Mod looks very high quality though.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wish StarFox64 could get this treatment.
So far I've been having a blast with this mod.
Interchangeable weapons, arwing models, all in real time! Nice!
Post automatically merged:

Just a few observations, which I'd like to get confirmed by other users.
There's this boss in Venom which is a carrier that drops "bikes" and you have to shoot at it when it's open.
I don't know if it's an intended mechanic or a frame glitch/bug but the carrier keeps up with the arwing no matter what, which makes impossible to dodge as you're hitting it at all times and you can't shoot it for the same reason.
There's also this "feature" and I'm not sure if it's intended, but if you keep pressing X and B you can infinitely thrust forward or slowdown... which is how I defeated the carrier boss in Venom, by thrusting forward to loose it and then braking to get him in front of me.
Really can't remember if this behavior of the carrier boss in Venom is in Vanilla.
It's been a long time since I last played OG StarFox.

Also! Just crashed at the end when the game show's the bosses' names and stuff. :rofl2:

Seems that StarFox Rev2 is the way to go with this patch:
Captura.PNG

Last edited by JuanMena,
Reactions: SylverReZ

Alcarajo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This looks awesome! I love when rom hacks adds alot of great stuff to a game, kinda feels like a sequel. Now all we need is a custom cover

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A brand new map with 17 new levels, new bosses, music, backgrounds, enemies and more!
A 3+ page pre-game menu to customize your experience!
Use the SNES Mouse, Super Scope, NTT Data Pad or Multi-Tap for a new way to play!
Play with 2/3/4/5 people, AI controlled teammates, or ships all controlled by player 1!
Wireframe mode, grid lines, palette changes and more!
Customize your player ship and crosshair style with new crosshair functionality!
A full model test viewer, BGM/SFX test menu and Super Scope Calibration screen!
Now that's one of those rom hacks who stand out. Pretty impressive. I wonder how well it'll work on the Analogue Pocket's openFPGA core.

When I saw the news I would have bet that it would've been posted by @ShadowOne333 :D

Reactions: ShadowOne333

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Any chance for this to be "immortalised" on a reprocard? Or is this not possible due to the fx chip requirement?

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Now that's one of those rom hacks who stand out. Pretty impressive. I wonder how well it'll work on the Analogue Pocket's openFPGA core.

When I saw the news I would have bet that it would've been posted by @ShadowOne333 :D
Gave it a shot now. Great hack, so much fun. Also all those settings at the beginning are pretty handy.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should be the same no? FX Pak Pro is the latest SD2SNES. A Startpage search revealed that SD2SNES plays Starfox just fine, so the mod should play fine.

I think you're right. Just checked looks like FXPak & SD2SNES still use the same firmware. For some reason I thought they were separate now.

Oh yeah.

Reactions: _Snow_

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker. +1