ROM Hack [Spider] Animal Crossing: New Leaf RAM Editing Thread

ayaya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm honestly not sure either yet, ayaya. Interesting thoughts though. I can tell you that swapping out ANY values hasn't given me any problem; that is to say, when I change my town hall color to blue, not only is the change perfectly acceptable to the game, but I can choose ANY of the known values for blue, to turn my town hall color blue, without any ill effects. They ALL WORK. Ugh. I've been running around with my new town hall because I desperately needed a blue one and haven't had problems.

It's still bugging me that I can't find a pattern WHY though. But yes, all the values work just fine even if you swap 'em out. (Sorry if I forgot to notate this in my original post about it, since I had already tested it.)
Sorry for my poor wording; you did say in your original post that any value that corresponds to a given color will always change your town hall/station to that color, yes. What I meant is that the value from 0x5C738-0x5C739 might control more than just that, since it also acts as the town ID and is repeated many times throughout the RAM (which means other things might cross-reference it which could potentially cause conflicts). The problem nandu experienced is probably the result of only changing that single instance but not the others. I tried to replicate their problem by changing only the value at 0x5C739, and sure enough, all of my villagers acted like I had asked them to move in from another town, but never spoke to them once they did. This is because the town ID stored in their memory (which allows them to recognize their town of origin) is at odds with the value at 0x5C738-0x5C739, but my mayor's ID is saved in their memory. This causes them to think I invited them from another town.

You also cannot send mail, just as nandu said--you know how you can write letters to residents while in someone else's town, but you can only mail them from their post office? That's what's happening here: the game now thinks any letter you write was composed in a different town. New letters you write after changing the town ID at 0x5C738-0x5C739 must use the new value to determine what town they were composed in. However, the post office must remember your old town ID, and is comparing your newly composed letters against it. Since it no longer matches, you can't send letters anymore. Villagers must also use the old town ID (as opposed to what you modified 0x5C738-0x5C739 to) when they send letters, but they're essentially mailing to the wrong address. It's what would happen if you were allowed to mail letters composed in other towns from your own town--even if it is addressed to a villager that also resides in your town, the origin town's ID means nothing in the context of your own game. Therefore, all letters sent after changing that value get "lost in the mail", so to speak. Changing every instance of the town ID to reflect the changes made to 0x5C738-0x5C739 might rectify the problem (old saved mail and such might act wonky though, since it's not stored in the RAM and thus wouldn't get updated with the new value).

Also, it seems the town and mayor character's IDs are heavily linked to how the game creates pseudorandomness. You know how if it's raining on one day, even if you go forward a day and then time travel back to the day when it was raining, it will still be raining (at least I remember it working that way; forgive me if I've jumped to conclusions based on my faulty memory)? That's because it appears to be calculated based on the town and mayor IDs (or at least they're a factor, the date is probably taken into account too when it comes to determining weather). These IDs don't change, hence why the weather will always be the same on a given day. Here are some screenshots:
HHPjmmx.jpg

In the above screenshot it is July 16th of this year, a day that's always rainy in my town. However, instead of the usual downpour, it was sunny after changing all instances of my town and mayor IDs to those of a friend.
LUH4sVR.jpg

Note the clock in both screenshots. The above screenshot was taken right after injecting a modified RAM dump that reverted the town and mayor IDs back to what they originally were. It instantly began raining after injecting.
I feel like that says a lot, but I'm not sure what to make of it yet.

Reactions: cibomatto and Cey

MasterLel

Cooonfusion of da highest orda
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
France
If you guys need to move buildings, but can't do it because marc's editor is closed, and don't kno how to do it manually, I'm gonna post a little tutorial so you will do it manually

You should know that buildings and PWP are not like flowers and tree, you can't place them in the ground, it's different. There are like 60 "slots" where you can put any pwp/buildings you want, so it's impossible to put like 10000 pwp in your town because there are no enough slots. That being said, let's move on the tutorial :

1) You must know the byte of the building you want to move (download this file, open it in your web browser, press ctrl+F and type the building/pwp name in English or French : https://mega.co.nz/#!jlQwxZ4Z!fCLLAXXtEruT2jAjR8PgzEIArY3W5wBzXh3vQr0JSmg --- What is it ? The file of Marc's web-based ram editor where the items/pwp names/bytes are keep)

2) Once you have found the byte of what you wanna move, search it in your ram file using HxD for example (offset is near 0x00049520). If you look for the classic train station, you will found "54" in the xml list.

3) Once you've found the byte in your ram file, just next to it, there is the coordinates bytes in hexadecimal (first byte is X, second is Y) But you have to translate them in decimal to understand them. Use this : http://www.binaryhexconverter.com/hex-to-decimal-converter

Important spoiler :

it works like that :

-"Translate" X/Y values in decimal using the link I've posted above
-Change the decimal value you got like you did in Marc's editor in the building tab. But this time you don't have any grid to count the distance, it's all mental
-Translate back the new value in hexadecimal
-Put that hexadecimal value instead of the old one in the ram file.

Here is an image to help you understand better

1427989530-vxgsdgdfgdfd.png

54 00 (the red part) is the byte of the building, it's actually the Classic train station because in the xml list, 54 is the classic train station. Classic town hall would be 50 00 for example, because its value is 50 in the xml list.

34 (the green part) is the X coordinate in hexadecimal. 34 (in hex) = 52 (in decimal), so the X value is 52

11 (the pink part) is the Y coordinate still in hexadecimal. 11 (in hex) = 17 ( in decimal), so the Y value is 17

Soooo, my classic train station is located at X52 Y17.

If I want to change the place to X40 Y20, I will translate 40 and 20 from decimal to hexadecimal and put the result in the ram file. And the result is 40 = 28 (in hex) and 20 = 14 (in hex)

So my file will now look like this
1427993038-ddddddddddddddggg.png

And now, my classic train station will be at X40 Y20. Easy, no ?

4) Once it's done, save, inject, and see if it worked. No problem if you did the whole thing correctly...

Help with the coordinates :

X higher number = move building to →
X lower number = move building to ←
Y higher number = move building to ↓
Y lower number = move building to ↑

1 point = 1 square = the size of 1 digged hole in game
So if you write X51 Y50 instead of X50 Y50, your building will move 1 square to the right

I hope you will understand, it's not easy to write a tutorial in a foreign language

Reactions: baandit and JJarmon

JJarmon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you guys need to move buildings, but can't do it because marc's editor is closed, and don't kno how to do it manually, I'm gonna post a little tutorial so you will do it manually

You should know that buildings and PWP are not like flowers and tree, you can't place them in the ground, it's different. There are like 60 "slots" where you can put any pwp/buildings you want, so it's impossible to put like 10000 pwp in your town because there are no enough slots. That being said, let's move on the tutorial :

1) You must know the byte of the building you want to move (download this file, open it in your web browser, press ctrl+F and type the building/pwp name in English or French : https://mega.co.nz/#!jlQwxZ4Z!fCLLAXXtEruT2jAjR8PgzEIArY3W5wBzXh3vQr0JSmg --- What is it ? The file of Marc's web-based ram editor where the items/pwp names/bytes are keep)

2) Once you have found the byte of what you wanna move, search it in your ram file using HxD for example (offset is near 0x00049520). If you look for the classic train station, you will found "54" in the xml list.

3) Once you've found the byte in your ram file, just next to it, there is the coordinates bytes in hexadecimal (first byte is X, second is Y) But you have to translate them in decimal to understand them. Use this : http://www.binaryhexconverter.com/hex-to-decimal-converter

Important spoiler :

it works like that :

-Change the decimal value you got like you did in Marc's editor in the building tab. But this time you don't have any grid to count the distance, it's all mental

54 00 (the red part) is the byte of the building, it's actually the Classic train station because in the xml list, 54 is the classic train station. Classic town hall would be 50 00 for example, because its value is 50 in the xml list.

34 (the green part) is the X coordinate in hexadecimal. 34 (in hex) = 52 (in decimal), so the X value is 52

11 (the pink part) is the Y coordinate still in hexadecimal. 11 (in hex) = 17 ( in decimal), so the Y value is 17

If I want to change the place to X40 Y20, I will translate 40 and 20 from decimal to hexadecimal and put the result in the ram file. And the result is 40 = 28 (in hex) and 20 = 14 (in hex)

4) Once it's done, save, inject, and see if it worked. No problem if you did the whole thing correctly...

So if you write X51 Y50 instead of X50 Y50, your building will move 1 square to the right

I hope you will understand, it's not easy to write a tutorial in a foreign language

Thank you so much for the tutorial and all your hard work! Your English is great, don't even worry about it. :)

Jwiz33

Banned
Trophies
in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
Website
iwillcleanyourbasement.webstarts.com
XP
Country
United States
For April Fool's day, I dumped my friend's dream town and injected it into mine, asked her to open g8, went to her town, and she was like :o
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lol it was funny

edit to prevent double posting: attempting to change my name from "Jakob" to "Jake" in an online hex editor :]

Cey

full of bees
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for my poor wording; you did say in your original post that any value that corresponds to a given color will always change your town hall/station to that color, yes. What I meant is that the value from 0x5C738-0x5C739 might control more than just that, since it also acts as the town ID and is repeated many times throughout the RAM (which means other things might cross-reference it which could potentially cause conflicts). The problem nandu experienced is probably the result of only changing that single instance but not the others. I tried to replicate their problem by changing only the value at 0x5C739, and sure enough, all of my villagers acted like I had asked them to move in from another town, but never spoke to them once they did. This is because the town ID stored in their memory (which allows them to recognize their town of origin) is at odds with the value at 0x5C738-0x5C739, but my mayor's ID is saved in their memory. This causes them to think I invited them from another town.

You also cannot send mail, just as nandu said--you know how you can write letters to residents while in someone else's town, but you can only mail them from their post office? That's what's happening here: the game now thinks any letter you write was composed in a different town. New letters you write after changing the town ID at 0x5C738-0x5C739 must use the new value to determine what town they were composed in. However, the post office must remember your old town ID, and is comparing your newly composed letters against it. Since it no longer matches, you can't send letters anymore. Villagers must also use the old town ID (as opposed to what you modified 0x5C738-0x5C739 to) when they send letters, but they're essentially mailing to the wrong address. It's what would happen if you were allowed to mail letters composed in other towns from your own town--even if it is addressed to a villager that also resides in your town, the origin town's ID means nothing in the context of your own game. Therefore, all letters sent after changing that value get "lost in the mail", so to speak. Changing every instance of the town ID to reflect the changes made to 0x5C738-0x5C739 might rectify the problem (old saved mail and such might act wonky though, since it's not stored in the RAM and thus wouldn't get updated with the new value).

Also, it seems the town and mayor character's IDs are heavily linked to how the game creates pseudorandomness. You know how if it's raining on one day, even if you go forward a day and then time travel back to the day when it was raining, it will still be raining (at least I remember it working that way; forgive me if I've jumped to conclusions based on my faulty memory)? That's because it appears to be calculated based on the town and mayor IDs (or at least they're a factor, the date is probably taken into account too when it comes to determining weather). These IDs don't change, hence why the weather will always be the same on a given day. Here are some screenshots:
HHPjmmx.jpg

In the above screenshot it is July 16th of this year, a day that's always rainy in my town. However, instead of the usual downpour, it was sunny after changing all instances of my town and mayor IDs to those of a friend.
LUH4sVR.jpg

Note the clock in both screenshots. The above screenshot was taken right after injecting a modified RAM dump that reverted the town and mayor IDs back to what they originally were. It instantly began raining after injecting.
I feel like that says a lot, but I'm not sure what to make of it yet.

I think you're onto something, ayaya. Great thoughts. I'm sorry if I had confusion in my reply, I was really tired yesterday and having some trouble.

I realize now I had the same issues nandu was having, but a) I'd never tried to send / receive letters and b) when I did talk to the villagers (rarely) it didn't seem out of place that they hadn't seen me in a while / maybe hadn't met me because I had done a bunch of year jumping. I wasn't so much playing so much as running around checking to see if anything was out of place and glitchy visibly / physically. So good catches, nandu, and great ideas, ayaya.

So, given those thoughts, I wonder if it's even possible to change those particular values -- even if you mirrored the bytes throughout the entire RAM, would it still think the IDs you input were for another town? I'll try to get some more testing done today if I have the time. I'll be really sad if that's the case, because town hall and train station color were one of the important things to me, myself. ;A; Ah well.

derteufel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just checked the town hall thing. I don't know if villagers didn't recognize me because I tried doing this on a new town that I made just for ram editing so I hadnt talked to any villagers. But I did try to mail them letters and it wouldn't let me. I can write the letter, but I can't put them into the box thing when I talk to Pelly

Reactions: Cey

Goshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to change the bridge direction in hex or something? Because I made a new ram file and the bridge is horizontal so I'm unable to cross it.

idkbro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Important spoiler :

it works like that :

what is a good HxD editor tool that i can use to open the ram file?

Cey

full of bees
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to change the bridge direction in hex or something? Because I made a new ram file and the bridge is horizontal so I'm unable to cross it.

Yes, you just need to locate where the bridge is in the hex (by searching by the PWP ID using the PWP/building list). The bridge's ID code will be right next to its physical coordinates on the map (in hex, so you'll need to convert the "regular" number [decimal] coordinates to hexidecimal before trying to locate them in the hex).

Once you know where it is, you need to then CHANGE the bridge's ID to a DIFFERENT bridge ID, as the directions are locked to a specific ID. Again, find the one you need accordingly. So there's no way to say, rotate an already existing bridge. You need to swap it out for the RIGHT direction bridge you want.

You may also need to adjust the coordinates of the bridge's location once you do this. Tweaking will probably be required.

Cey

full of bees
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is a good HxD editor tool that i can use to open the ram file?

HxD IS the name of editor tool. "Hex editor" would be the general name of all editors.

Cygnus is also available as freeware, in addition to HxD.

Judging by your past posts, though, I highly suggest you in particular read a beginner's HEX guide before proceeding further.

Goshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you just need to locate where the bridge is in the hex (by searching by the PWP ID using the PWP/building list). The bridge's ID code will be right next to its physical coordinates on the map (in hex, so you'll need to convert the "regular" number [decimal] coordinates to hexidecimal before trying to locate them in the hex).

Once you know where it is, you need to then CHANGE the bridge's ID to a DIFFERENT bridge ID, as the directions are locked to a specific ID. Again, find the one you need accordingly. So there's no way to say, rotate an already existing bridge. You need to swap it out for the RIGHT direction bridge you want.

You may also need to adjust the coordinates of the bridge's location once you do this. Tweaking will probably be required.

Alright. Thanks.

Goshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, sorry.

I don't have a list of PWP IDs so I have no idea how to change the bridge.

I've been fiddling with the Main Street upgrades and such in hex but totally forgot I can't access them because of the bridge I forgot to change.

Jwiz33

Banned
Trophies
in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
Website
iwillcleanyourbasement.webstarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Ah, sorry.

I don't have a list of PWP IDs so I have no idea how to change the bridge.

I've been fiddling with the Main Street upgrades and such in hex but totally forgot I can't access them because of the bridge I forgot to change.

http://pastebin.com/WGHYFy88 (i think this is what you're looking for)

JJarmon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to post this here, for anyone to see, I'm having a lot of trouble and would love some help if anyone knows what to do:

Something strange keeps happening in my game. Before, injecting or restoring a previous save would work perfectly, but now, whenever I do either, my game crashes and forces me to reset my data entirely. It shows the Nintendo 3DS logo, the train rolling, freezes a little, then crashes saying "An error has occurred, forcing the software to close. The system will now restart. (Unsaved data will be lost)." Then promptly restarts.

At first, I thought I was editing too many things at once, so I did a small edit first to be safe. My town map was natural, one slope south and one slope to the west. The river was hacked but kept natural, the shops were hacked but kept natural in the game's coding (had this exact set-up in my old town back in 2013 that was not hacked), and I did not hack any villagers this time around, did not move my house, and did not put anything in my pockets or locker. I did, however, put some items on the beach to pick up but I never had problems with that before. I did not hex edit this time, just to be safe.

So, I used the Leaftool's Restore this time and the map below looked normal, some buildings looked a little strange (but that happened before and is normal after saving & quitting), but I cannot go back onto my mayor after saving. It will crash like before. This is with hacking my digital copy and again, my system is at 9.5.0-22U and it's region is US. Here are my files, if it helps:

It's really stressing me out. I don't think it would be possible for my save data to corrupt on me, so I tried again with my cartridge version and it did the same thing, so I don't think it has to do with my SD card. I'm hoping it's not due to my 3DS, but that wouldn't make much sense either.

I used the acre editor in the past and never had any issues with it. Usually hex editing works, but I tried to do a little at one time so it didn't freak out. I'm just... so confused. I just deleted the corrupted date by pressing ABXY in the beginning to delete my town, went through the beginning process and restored my back-up. The un-hacked back-up works perfectly and runs smoothly, even after saving, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong when it comes to hacking. Tried saving & quitting AND saving & continue then powering off, neither of those stop the crashing to happen. I'm going to try once more, through HxD and see if the web editor is causing it...

Kiyomi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Errm, i just wanted to ask a question which is why i created an account.
Sorry to bother but, i'm trying to change my mayor's name.
But for some reason it keeps crashing. I've done it over 15 times now, could someone explain what i'm doing wrong?

20h5an9.jpg

I'm trying to change in to Kimiko, but it won't work. aha, i'm honestly dumb at this.
I'm so sorry, the image is huge. ;w;

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    Thor from "Pirate Software" said its just better to pirate the game than buy from a keyshop if you care about the devs
    +2
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    devs don't get hit with the chargebacks, the keys are free to generate
    at least on steam
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    Except he said the DEVS get hits with the chargeback cost
    +1
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    since the key gets bought with a stolen credit card
    there's nothing to charge back because the keys don't cost them money to generate in the first place
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If the game has a crack sure
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most these crack sites have dead links anymore or the crack don't even work
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    @The Real Jdbye What don't you get? If someone use a stolen creditcard. Then sell said key on G2A. If I the dev sold the game key, I will get the charge back cost. That's how it works, it doesn't matter if I generate 300 keys if 300 of them are bought with stolen credit cards. I never said it was on Steam, but its the dev that gets hit. There is a ton of stories out there if you google it.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just buy other people's steam account :teach:
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    Just tell them you're dead ;D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They already know
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    I honestly wonder how the EU would say if I willed my account to you. And Valve be like "nope!"
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @K3Nv2 - sounds like you need a better place to find cracks!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psionics offline right now or I would
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @cearp, Psi is offline at the minute, but he knows where to find them.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    get your mind out of the gutter, I'm talking about piracy
  • cearp @ cearp:
    not that type of crack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean the drug not the booty pervs
    +2
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    @cearp At a plumber convenstion. Loads of cracks!
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A plumber is either on crack or in crack or showcasing crack
    +2
  • cearp @ cearp:
    or of course, dealing with cracks (in pipes)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sure he could be on cracked flooring causing the leak
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much you bet delta going to be DRMd to hell and back
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: How much you bet delta going to be DRMd to hell and back