Sony Sells it's 70 millionth PS3 Worldwide...very near to 360!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:blink:

On November 4th, Sony sold it's 70 millionth PS3 worldwide, which is great right? What is noticeable is that in September Microsoft said the same about the 360! It should be noted that the 360 was released a whole year earlier than the PS3.

Both still have 22 million to go to beat Nintendo's Wii sales this gen but damn it is very neck and neck. Of course I don't doubt that Microsoft have made more profits what with higher game sales and that the Live service does extremely well in conning gamers out of money just to get some basic online functions.

Quite a surprise that the race for 2nd place (in terms of consoles sold that is) is so close, I thought Microsoft sold a lot more than 70 million what with a few owners I know on their 2nd or 3rd replacement console. In hingsight however, compared with the PS1 & PS2 sales the Wii, 360 & PS3 pale in comparison.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...million-playstation-3-sales-worldwide-1113257

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never would I have guessed that the wii was beating them by 22 million, but I when I think about it makes so much sense.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also the Kinect thoroughly outsold the PS Move so that's worth of note.

The console has come far, from an embarrassing price point to a solid contender. Both consoles will certainly be within arm's reach of the Wii by the end of their lifespans though, which is good.

Congrats Sony on turning it around.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
While there might be MORE replacement 360s, the early PS3s were pretty prone to failure too, just not as soon. Also that's pretty impressive overall, especially considering the console had a pretty craptastic start. Now we'll see if they can do the same with the Vita...

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry. no it hasn't.

That's shipped numbers, considering it was sitting on 52 Million as of sept 2011, that would be 18 million sold in a year. That would be amazing but no sales data backs that up. They shipped a larger shipment for holidays most likely and hence the shipping numbers striking that 70 Million.

You should know Sony Numbers revealed in public are shipped, a quick research, yep a Number of sites are also saying shipped. ;)

Edit: Wii has 97 Million sold units, not 92M.

Ok I'm done here.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, back in '06 this console was horrible. Now it's finally catching up to both the 360 and the Wii.
Now about the Vita...

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say the 360 comes out ahead as the better console, but both are great machines and provided heated competition the likes of which we haven't seen for a good long while. They've had a great run, and sold pretty well accordingly. (Plus, the turnaround of the PS3 shows there's hope for the Vita yet if Sony can get its act together, so that's nice.)

And now we begin to turn our gaze towards the next generation...

Reactions: chavosaur

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Meh, still not worth 250 dollars to me. Sony is still asking far too much for an outdated piece of hardware, same goes for Microsoft, they should be putting them near clearance prices by now just to move stock in preparation for new console releases.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, still not worth 250 dollars to me. Sony is still asking far too much for an outdated piece of hardware, same goes for Microsoft, they should be putting them near clearance prices by now just to move stock in preparation for new console releases.

Which won't happen until about a year so that request is a bit outlandish.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmdrobXH34